A UK doctor faces losing his job after allegedly preaching God to a patient.

1 view

Pastor Dale Morgan

May 23, 2011, 12:57:36 PM5/23/11
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Faith Under Fire.......

A UK doctor faces losing his job after allegedly preaching God to a patient.

General Medical Council
by Nisha Chopra

A Kent doctor faces losing his job after allegedly preaching God to a patient.

It comes after a mum complained that Dr Richard Scott abused his position by 'pushing religion' on her son.

The family, GP who practises at Bethesda Medical Centre in Margate, said in response to the complaint made last year: "I  offered him an opportunity to discuss whether faith in God through Jesus might be an advantage to him."

He also added: "I dealt with the medical issues, so to say I merely offered him Jesus is a nonsense."

But despite the 50-year-old insisting he had the patient's consent to discuss faith matters - he now faces being struck off by the General Medical Council, which has accused him of harrassment.

The family GP said: "In their view I've overstepped the mark and I have exploited a vulnerable patient. I say not at all."What do you think? Join the debate by adding your comments below

However two local MPs have condemned the GMC for seeking to reprimand Dr Scott for discussing his religious beliefs with patients.

South Thanet`s MP, Laura Sandys said: "We totally appreciate that medical standards need regulating, but monitoring and then sanctioning doctors on conversations with patients, that do not relate to their medical condition, must be a matter between the individuals and dealt with locally."

She added: "The GMC has over-reacted and needs to put an end to mis-placed activism that is putting a respected doctors' profession on the line."

"This doctor's natural instinct to make reference to Christianity is not a matter for the GMC, it is matter for his conscience and beliefs."

North Thanet MP Roger Gale said: "Nobody is saying that a doctor ought to be a Christian, or of any other faith, but to treat faith as an active disqualification, as the GMC apparently seeks to do, is unacceptable."

He added: "It is not up to the GMC to play God."

Dr Scott is taking legal action against his censure as he is adament no guildelines were breached.

He said: "most people are aware we're a Christian practise and if anyone doesn't want to speak about it we stop."

The GMC said its guidance was that "doctors should not normally discuss their personal beliefs with patients unless those beliefs are directly relevant to the patient's care.

"They also must not impose their beliefs on patients, or cause distress by the inappropriate or insensitive expression of religious, political or other beliefs or views."