US: Massachusetts Father kills daughter and shoots son in head before turning gun on himself in horrific murder-suicide after wife leaves him

-Pastor-Dale-Morgan-

Jul 29, 2012, 4:25:31 AM7/29/12
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com

US: Massachusetts Father kills daughter and shoots son in head before turning gun on himself in horrific murder-suicide after wife leaves him

By James Nye

PUBLISHED: 06:09 GMT, 29 July 2012 | UPDATED: 06:18 GMT, 29 July 2012

In Oxford, Massachusetts, a seven-year-old girl is dead and her nine-year-old brother seriously injured with a gunshot wound to the head after their 41-year-old father apparently shot both before turning the gun on himself, ending his own life.

Authorities said that a family member found the bodies of 41-year-old Daryl Benway and his daughter, Abigail, on Saturday night in their Oxford home. Benway's 9-year-old son, Owen, was shot in the head and taken to a hospital in serious condition.

Abigail and her father were found in the master bedroom of the Benway's 128 Main St. residence and his seriously injured son was discovered in the kitchen and transported to UMass Memorial Children's Medical Center in a critical condition.

Worcester District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. said during a news conference that he would not speculate on a motive but that Mr. Benway and his wife, Kelleen, separated three to four weeks ago.

Neighbours of the pair confirmed that Ms. Benway, known to some as Kelly, was finding a new place to live.

'It doesn’t get much worse than this,' said Mr. Early.

'It’s horrible. It’s a horrible scene.'

The Benway's lived on the second floor of the residence and Mr Benway's brother Shawn apparently occupied the first floor with his wife and the brother's mother.

Shawn Benway called 911 after hearing the shots come from upstairs.

While police would not divulge the type of gun used in the shooting, they did confirm that Mr Benway's license had expired in 1999.

When Kelleen Benway arrived at the family home, she was restrained by police officers because of confusion over who was responsible for the shooting.

She later went to the hospital to be with her son along with her 25-year-old daughter Nickole, who was from a previous marriage.

Neighours described Mr. Benway as an overweight man who had a career in information technology and according to his Facebook page he worked at TJX Companies and attended Oxford High School.

'I don’t understand how you can do something like that,' said neighbor John Forand.

Other's wrote on Mr.Benway's Facebook page to express their shock and disbelief.

'I wished you would have called me I can’t believe this when we talked the other day everything seemed kool I’m gonna miss you,' wrote one. Others simply asked 'Why?'