Earthquake shakes western Scotland

Pastor Dale Morgan

Jan 23, 2011, 1:41:53 PM1/23/11
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Great Earthquakes In Diverse Places

Earthquake shakes western Scotland

A 3.5-magnitude quake struck the village of Glenuig in the early hours of Sunday morning.

23 January 2011 17:43 GMT

BBC - An 3.5-magnitude earthquake woke residents of western Scotland early on Sunday morning.

The quake, which was centred on the small village of Glenuig, was felt as far away as Inverness, Skye and Oban.

The British Geological Survey (BGS) received several reports of the earthquake, with one person saying: "I was awakened by noise and vibration in my bedroom."

The BGS said it expected the earth movement could have been felt up to 75 miles away but it was unlikely to have caused any damage.

Seismologist Davie Galloway said: "On average, we would get one of this size about once a year but over the past few weeks we've had one down in Ripon and prior to that, in December last year, we had one in Coniston the same size - but, on average, we tend to get one of these once a year.

"A 3.5-magnitude is a minor earthquake but it's quite significant for the UK because people don't experience earthquakes all the time in Britain. So, to get one - especially at 6 o'clock in the morning - people were saying they were quite alarmed, so in terms of that it's quite significant.

"People will have felt the shaking quite strongly, especially nearer the epicentre but on the whole we don't expect any reports of damage."

The quake is the largest to be detected in the area since a 3.5-magnitude event on January 10, 2008, in nearby Glenfinnan.

It is also one of the largest earthquakes ever recorded in that part of Scotland - a 3.6-magnitude quake occurred in the region on October 14, 1902, and a 3.2-magnitude event took place in February 1809.