311 propane heater install

Steve Mitchell

Aug 31, 2015, 12:32:01 AM8/31/15
to Beneteau Owners
I have a 2000 311 that has an AC-only heat pump cooling/heating solution, which is not terribly useful when on the hook or elsewhere without AC power.  There's no other source of cabin heat, and I'm in the Pacific Northwest....

So, I'm looking at installing a propane cabin heater, potentially a Dickinson Newport model P9000 which has a single thru connection for both fresh air and exhaust.

First question is if anyone else with this vintage 311 has added a heater of any kind, and any tips you can pass on?  I have no idea where I will site it (thinking starboard on the v-berth wall, but boy is the propane and power a long ways away..) nor where to poke through.

Second question is if any folks with a 311 have a factory installed heater, and any details about where it is mounted and model would be appreciated!

--
Steve Mitchell
2000 Beneteau 311 - Grace

Steve Mitchell

Aug 31, 2015, 12:49:29 AM8/31/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
An additional note - I have not considered diesel heaters, but in thinking about things, I'm wondering if that might not be a more economical solution without crazy holes in the coachroof.

Again, if anyone has installed one, or has a factory diesel heater for this vintage, it would be great if you could share some details!

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1108** members and growing.

davidcfletcher

Aug 31, 2015, 9:51:57 AM8/31/15
to Beneteau Group
Take a long look at an Espar heater. They are safe, not too difficult to install.

They hydronic model will supply heat and hot water.

IMHO far better than a propane heater.

Sent from my Samsung device

Howell Cooper

Aug 31, 2015, 10:29:41 AM8/31/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Over the years we have found a remarkable solution for cabin heat.  It is a simple piece of ambience that will heat a 411 nicely:  a Wheems and Plath hurricane lamp which when burning refined lamp paraffin will definitely warm the cabin.

Cooper
S/V Why Knot
Port Aransas, Texas
B-411 #24

Sent from Coopers' galactic communicator