Tachometer

c1gmlm

Aug 11, 2015, 2:06:40 PM8/11/15
to Beneteau Owners
I noticed that my hour meter on the tach has stopped working. It is a Perkins model. Is there an electrical wire that could have come loose? I don't think think it is mechanical. We have an OC 400 .

Mike
"Gentle Presence"
1996 #168

Dan Barac

Aug 11, 2015, 9:48:26 PM8/11/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

I have Perkins Prima M50 with a VDO tach.

The hour meter has stopped working twice already and been repaired twice. The shop told me the problem was in plastic gears turning over the digits. Something breaks in there and the gears need to be replaced. The repairs cost me about $150 each time. It’s a bit of a worry because this VDO tach is now obsolete and can not be purchased anywhere. I have not found anything of that size and spec to fit in the available space.

Dan

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1104** members and growing.

davidcfletcher

Aug 11, 2015, 9:58:18 PM8/11/15
to Beneteau Group
Dan

Do you have any suggestions on calibration of the Prima tach.

I have installed a Balmar 6 series and serpentine belts. The ratio is now 3 to 1 and the tach reads a way too fast. My calculations had the oem ratio at 1.92

FLETCH

Sent from my Samsung device

Dan Barac

Aug 11, 2015, 11:13:51 PM8/11/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Fletch,

If I remember well from a few years ago, when I installed Balmar 6 series alternator, the tach needed a minor adjustment. The mechanic brought an instrument which worked with help of a strobe light. He put some reflective tape on the crankshaft pulley and that gave us a fairly accurate rpm reading. The tach has a small plastic screw at the back where you can fine adjust the reading. I couldn’t adjust the tach to read 100% accurate on all speeds, so I chose the 2000 rpm, being my cruising rpm, to be spot on. Elsewhere it was 20-40 rpm off, not significant.

Twist the tach out of the engine console and have a look at the back. It’s fairly self explanatory.

Regards,
Dan

Hcooper

Aug 12, 2015, 11:49:20 AM8/12/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Dan,
We own a 411, hull #24, which we cruised for four years.  The engine has 2,424 hours and the VDO tach works normally.  I would really question the repairs if yours has failed now three times.  It would seem that there is something other than plastic gears causing the problem.  IMHO.
Cooper
Why Knot
B-411 #24
Port Aransas, Texas

Sent from my iPhone

Dan Barac

Aug 12, 2015, 9:24:38 PM8/12/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Mine has failed twice so far but yes, you’re probably right. Poor quality replacement parts, poor quality workmanship, who knows? What can you do except to get it fixed and hope for the best… Btw, it’s not the tach that’s the issue, it’s the hour meter which is the part of it.

S/V Slainte; First 310

Aug 12, 2015, 9:24:58 PM8/12/15
to Beneteau Owners

Extech Moiel 461893: Photo Tachometer

Use one of these.

S/V Slainte; First 310

Aug 12, 2015, 9:36:51 PM8/12/15
to Beneteau Owners
If you look on Amazon and Search for the Extech Tachometer, you will find it and several others. They run from 15 bucks to a couple hundred depending on the manufacturer.

LA S

Aug 12, 2015, 10:34:08 PM8/12/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Prevail,  42s7 with a Prima 50, and to say "poor quality" is an understatement!!! ​
Beneteau should hang its head in shame!
Lawrence Swack

           *    *
               _/)
Do you feel more like you do now, then when you first got here?

LA S

Aug 12, 2015, 10:37:43 PM8/12/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Well, I guess my last message was censored....​