The Weekly Email By Betsy 2-26-08

betsy beijing

Feb 26, 2008, 12:06:10 PM2/26/08
to beijing-...@googlegroups.com
hey frisbee hounds,

do you have your nose to the ground trying to sniff out the plastic.  well betsy is here to give you all the latest news on what's happening in beijing ultimate.

WEEKLY ITEM #1:  The Weekly Schedule

Wed Feb 27th, Pick Up, 7.00, BCIS
We've been getting great numbers on Wed night.  Let's keep it up.

Saturday Mar 1st, Big Brother Practice, 11-1.30, BCIS
New weekly practice open to anyone who wants to be a part of Big Brother.  Designed for intermediate players.  Expect a lot of skill work, strategy, and fitness.  Please get there on time.

Sunday Mar 2nd, Pick Up, BCIS, 2.30-5
Because 2 hours just wasn't enough frisbee time for everyone that showed up comfortably late, we've added an extra half hour.  No, actually we didn't.  Just get there on time so we can get the most playing time possible.
______________

lunch time poll:

What was Beijing Ultimate's favorite Oscar moment?

a) Reid strolling on the stage in the middle of Tilda Swinton's acceptance speech and making out with her for thirty seconds, then being carried off with a frisbee in his butt cheeks.

b) Doc being awarded the lifetime achievement award for a body of work I think we can all agree should have been retired a long time ago.

c) During the video montage of past Best Picture winners, catching a glimpse of what looks like Jim Kirchhoff in the Wizard of Oz

d) The revelation that Soylent Green is in fact, people.

WEEKLY ITEM #2: Upcoming Events

The Ratties

The writer's strike is over, and that means the world's greatest awards extravaganza will go on as planned.  This years awards ceremony is going to be March 29th, at Greg and Zoe's place.  The theme is going to be "Rat Pack or Pack Rats."  Don't ask Betsy what that means.  If you want to help out with the organizing committee, or you just want to get some free donuts from Greg and/or Zoe, let Candice know.

The 2nd Annual China Nationals Tournament

This year's natties are going to be held in the capital.  It is going to be Beijing's first time ever to host a tournament.  If you are interested in helping organize this year's tournament, please contact Kelly at kndu218 at hotmail dot com.  Kelly is hard at work securing fields, doing whatever it takes to make sure we have a place to hold the tournament.  And I mean whatever it takes.

Jeju

Jeju is the last weekend in April, the 26th and 27th.  To get an idea of what it was like last year, check out this clip:

Numbers are looking good.  We have 14 people right now committed to the group fare. The details are as follows:

Fri MU 273 PEKCJU 0850 1235
Mon MU 274 CJUPEK 1335 1500

The price for the group fare is going to be around 2550.

If you are still interested in going, and you want the group fare, please contact doc or shen right away.  We will most likely issue the tickets at the end of this week.  After that, you will be on your own.

_________

now is the time in the weekly email when betsy gives her weekly shout outs, and call outs.  remember, you want to get shouted out, but you don't want to get called out.

a shout out to nick monses who is leaving beijing this week to cheapen his life by getting married and going to law school.   make sure to let nick know exactly what you think of his poor life decisions before it's too late.

a call out to everyone who really believed chip when he told them not to come watch him play on saturday night.  have you never been in a relationship.  I mean come on people.  that was a test and you all failed.  you all have some serious making up to do before chip is going to forgive you.

a shout out to char, for being beijing ultimate's favorite player to survive a plane crash in the past 6 weeks.

a call out to donald for thinking that any self respecting ultimate player would give a damn about a baseball game.

WEEKLY ITEM #3:  MAILBAG

every week, betsy gets a lot of emails inviting her out on dates, complementing her on her leadership skills, asking her ultimate related questions, and wanting to know who she is.  the mailbag is where she answers these questions.  as always, these are real letters from real readers.

Letter #1:

dear betsy,

after looking over some photos of last years awards ceremony, greg and i have realized it would be a mistake to host the party this year.  do you think that you could host it at your apartment instead.  we promise to bring the donuts.

experiencing regret,
zoe

dear zoe,

it is true that i have the perfect apartment to host such an event, with two floors, three balconies, a large western kitchen and plenty of corners and alcoves for people to hook up in.  however, if i were to host, it would be impossible for me to take home any of the hunky guys that only make it out to frisbee once a year when they have a possibility of winning an award.  luckily, i can't think of any frisbee studs that i haven't already gotten with previously, so i don't see any reason why i couldn't host this year.

betsy
xxxooo

Letter #2:

dear betsy,

i heard you think that i'm a tightly muscled, erotic sex monster.  i'm going to be at this year's awards ceremony.  maybe i'll see you there.

zach

dear zoe,

it turns out that i am going to be busy that night.  looks like you are stuck with the party at your place.

betsy
xxxooo

____________

The Weekly Rumor That Must Be True:  Many of you know that Ryan has a strict policy of never hooking up with anyone that has previously gotten with Zahlen.  So observers watched with great interest as the two of them went head to head this sunday at frisbee.  Both Zahlen and Ryan pulled out all the stops as they flirted incessantly with the frisbee newbie of the moment.  It appears that Ryan has the early edge as he managed to wrangle a dinner invitation for sunday night.  Stay tuned for future developments.

As an aside, it seems that neither Zahlen nor Ryan are aware that Gabe Wildeau dated the young woman in question last summer, when they were on the same summer league team.

WEEKLY ITEM #4:  Social Calender

Fri Feb 29th, Leap Year Party and Nick's going away extravaganza, Time and Place TBD,

Two events that happen once every four years.  February 29th, and Nick leaving Beijing.  Stay tuned for more details.

Sat Mar 1st, WAB Dodge Ball Tournament After Party
For those of you on the outside looking in, every year a select group of frisbee players participate in the WAB dodge ball tournament.  None of the teachers at WAB actually like us.  In fact they actively hate us, and do their best to make sure we don't win, by feeding us copious amounts of alcohol.  This year will be no different.  We've assembled the greatest team of smart asses and just plain asses to represent Beijing Ultimate at this years tournament: Betsy, Ryan, Jim, Sandy, Julia, Reid, Doc, Melissa and Kate West.  As they will be raging drunk and raging mad afterwards, they will be looking to throw down with the rest of you all wherever you may be. Make sure to text them where your location, and Team Dodgeball will come find you.

-----------------

WEEKLY QUIZ:  for you newbies, the weekly quiz is a game where betsy asks a few simple questions, and it's your job to provide the correct answers.  as always, googling is prohibited.  since no one won last week's prize, this weeks winner will still receive a sketch drawing of themselves courtesy of kelly yang.

this week's category, Beijing Ultimate celebrity photo match up:

Your task is to supply us with a photo of a famous celebrity who looks just like someone in beijing ultimate.  Send it to the group, with a description in 25 words or less.

Last week's answer, which no one got correct:
William Shatner was in Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story with Jim Cody Williams
Jim Cody Williams was in Rails & Ties with Kevin Bacon

________

which brings us finally to your moment of zen:

make sure you click on first dates, then ultimate frisbee

catch you on the field,
betsy
xxxooo