The Weekly Email By Betsy 6-05-07

1 view

betsy beijing

Jun 4, 2007, 11:57:56 PM6/4/07
to beijing-...@googlegroups.com
hey frisbee stars,

betsy wants to start off things this week with a word of warning.  it seems that everyone is very interested in making it into the weekly email, but ryan and candice took it a little too far.  hooking up just so you can be mentioned in the rumor that must be true is poor form.  showing up together at brunch so that everyone knows you spent the night making donuts means it's no longer a rumor.  it's news.  it's no better than jamie having sex with every guy he can just so everyone knows he's gay.  okay we get it jamie.  you are a homosexual.  nobody cares.

WEEKLY ITEM #1:  The Weekly Schedule

tuesday june 5, practice at bcis, 7:30
we better have big numbers. shanghai is less than 2 weeks away.

thursday june 7, pick up at beijing aoti sports park, 7.30
new fields.  there are two ways to get there:
1) subway Line 1 to Sihui/Sihui Dong transfer to Batong line to Tongzhou
Beiyuan, then 12 RMB cab from there. Drivers from that station should know
Aoti Sports Center 北京奥体运动中心. Look below for more directions.

2) 30-40 RMB cab from Guo Mao taking the Jingtong Expressway 京通高速路.
When it forks, take the north (left) fork that connects with Chaoyang
Beilu 朝阳北路. Follow that then take a right (south) onto Binghe Beilu 滨河北
路 follow that south along the west side of the river until you take a
left (east) onto Tonghu Dalu 通胡大路. At this point you will be very
close. Look for the sports complex with a big white canopy. It's
called Aoti Sports Center 北京奥体运动中心.

Anyone who wants to take the subway can arrange that on their own.
Those taking cabs should meet at the SE corner of the Guo Mao
intersection (Motorola Bldg) at 7pm.
http://www.bjsportspark.com/

saturday june 9, practice, dulwich, 3.30 pm.  we'll have a bus at dzm at 2.30.  if you are going to shanghai, you must be at this practice, or have a note from your parents.

sunday may 27th.  pickup at dulwich.  3.30 pm, meet at dzm at 2.30. tentative  if the thursday fields work out, we may move to the new facility.  if the change occurs, you will be notified accordingly.

for more extensive details, maps, and last minute changes, please check the google group home page.  link at bottom.

______________

lunch time poll:

making donuts is a euphemism for:

a) cleaning the toilet

b) baking sugary pastries

c) something to do with candice's mom

d) writing a "novel"

WEEKLY ITEM #2: Plan Five From Outerspace

beijing's quest to have the greatest ever theme party at an ultimate tournament continues.  saturday after practice we will have another session of costume design, set construction, and story boarding.  we will adjourn to sandy and tracy's from the fields.  anyone who needs help with their costume, please contact doc or tracie.  please look over doc's email regarding everyone's parts and confirm what role you have.

to get you in the mood, go here:

http://www.briansdriveintheater.com/horror.html

a word of warning.  anyone who doesn't have fun at this party will be persecuted mercilessly.  luckily nick won't be around to ruin it for everybody else.

_________

now is the time in the  weekly email when betsy gives her weekly shout outs, and call outs.  remember, you want to get shouted out, but you don't want to get called out.

a shout out to reid, provisionally, for helping to get us new fields.  if this doesn't work out, betsy will revoke this shout out and give reid a call out so fast he'll get whiplash.

a call out to reid.  on second thought, i know this new field thing is going to fall through.  damn reid for getting my hopes up.

a shout out to corey, patrick, patrick's friend, and doc.  you guys are awesomely cool.

a call out to everyone else.  you guys suck.  leave it to the league of dorks to ruin it for the only cool people in the whole group. you'll be lucky if they don't rv their way to another city in asia, permanently.

a shout out to stephanie for taking some awesome pictures in tianjin.  if you count pictures carefully, you'll figure out which member of beijing sexxy stephanie has a secret crush on.

a call out to non white discs.  they look like a frisbee.  they feel like a frisbee in your hand.  but then you throw them, and you realize, wait a minute, that piece of colored plastic rotating through the air is not a disc at all.  it's some children's toy.

WEEKLY ITEM #3:  MAILBAG

every week, betsy gets a lot of emails inviting her out on dates, complementing her on her leadership skills, asking her ultimate related questions, and wanting to know who she is.  the mailbag is where she answers these questions.  as always, these are real letters from real readers.

Letter #1:

dear betsy,

when i started playing frisbee a few weeks ago, i was promised that i would be the only new woman and i'd get showered with lots of attention from the blokes for the next six months until someone new came along.  but then clare showed up the next bloody week, and we've been competing for the spotlight ever since.  i feel i'm being nicked out of attention that rightfully belongs to me.

yours,
uk girl

dear uk girl,

you're right.  we've never had this problem in the past.  generally we only have one new girl at a time.  a few of the guys have said that the best way to solve this dilemma will be jello wrestling, but they are perverts.  instead, we'll have you fight to the death with meat cleavers.

xxxooo
betsy

Letter # 2:

dear betsy,

who are you?  i'm very interested in meeting you.

jeff

dear jeff,

we have met before.  i'm the short asian american that was at pick up on sunday.  we rode next to each other on the bus.  i thought you were kind of cute, but if you can't even remember who i am, then forget it.

xxxooo
betsy

Letter #3:

dear betsy,

can you make sure that everyone knows that i was in berlin last week.  i really wanted to come to practice, but i was in berlin.  so you see, although i really wanted to come out and practice last week, i couldn't because i was in berlin.  i don't know if i've mentioned it before or not that i was in berlin.

thanks,
ken in berlin

dear ken in berlin,

no probs.  i'll let everyone know that you were in berlin last week and that you really wanted to come to practice.

xxxooo
betsy

WEEKLY RUMOR THAT MUST BE TRUE: at zahlen's going away for the next month, shower me with the affection i deserve party this past friday, betsy noticed some suspicious behavior.  first craig from korea was seen huddled closely with sandy for a rather long period of time.  but an hour later, he was seen going home with tracie.  to be quite honest, betsy doesn't know which rumor is the more likely to be true.  if anyone has any information about which beijing female craig is actually getting it on with, please let the weekly email know.  and craig, if you've been getting it on with both of them, then i apologize for blowing your cover.

WEEKLY ITEM #4:  SOCIAL CALENDER

saturday, after practice.  dinner and movies (plan nine from outer space and ed wood) at sandy and tracie's apt.  we'll be making costumes, craig and someone may be making donuts, and we'll be practicing our boat races and overall drinking stamina for shanghai.

someday this weekend, at sometime, we will be doing something secret for a certain someone that you all know and love.  you will be contacted individually with secret information about the details of this covert operation.

-----------------

WEEKLY QUIZ:  for you newbies, the weekly quiz is a game where betsy asks a few simple questions, and it's your job to provide the correct answers.  as always, googling is prohibited.  this week's winner will receive dinner and a movie with helen.  donald will attend your date as chaperone.

this week's question is name the title of the song and the performer for the following lyric:

And my hell is the closet I'm stuck inside
Can't see the light
And my heaven is a nice house in the sky
Got central heating and I'm alright
Keep it locked up inside don't talk about it
Talk about the weather
Open up my head and let me out little baby
Here we have been standing for a long long time
Treading trodden trails for a long long time

I find sometimes its easy to be myself
Sometimes I find it better to be somebody else
I see you young and soft little baby
Little feet little hands little feet little hands little baby

please email your answers directly to betsy, at betsyb...@gmail.com

as for last week's quiz, no one provided the correct questions:

1) what are helium, boron, oxygen, and krypton?

2) what is canadia?

3) who are michael, marlon, jackie, tito, and jermaine?
_______

which brings us finally to:

this weeks 11th edition rule:

If the thrower accidentally drops a live disc or a disc in play without defensive interference and it contacts the ground before the thrower regains possession, it is considered an incomplete pass. If the thrower regains possession of an accidentally dropped disc before it contacts the ground without another player touching the disc, that possession is considered continuous. If the thrower regains possession of an accidentally dropped disc before it contacts the ground and after another player touches it, it is considered a new possession.

so this came up in tianjin.  if you accidentally bobble a disc in your possession w/o defensive interference, and then regain possession, that does not count as catching your own throw.  it's the same possession, and the stall count would continue uninterrupted.

catch you on the field,
betsy
xxx ooo
--
i prefer not to think of all the misery but of all the beauty that still remains.

             -anne frank

Jennifer Brown

Jun 5, 2007, 5:16:21 AM6/5/07
to Beijing Ultimate
On Sunday afternoon, a couple hours before practice, I bumped into
Craig and Sandy "trying to cash travelers checks" southwest of the
Lama Temple. Looks like Sandy must be Craig's Beijing female of
choice, sorry Tracie :(

Weekly Quiz:
Dave Matthews Band
So Much to Say

see you cats at practice

jb

> intersection (Motorola Bldg) at 7pm.http://www.bjsportspark.com/

> please email your answers directly to betsy, at betsybeij...@gmail.com

Jugglingnomad

Jun 5, 2007, 8:53:16 AM6/5/07
to Beijing Ultimate
MMMMMM DOUGHNUTS。 GREAT ANALYSIS BUT MY TRUE LOVE IS BETSY。 DAMN SHE
IS HOT, EH JEFF?

OH,ANF I DONT MEAN FOR IT TO SEEM LIKE IM YELLING BUT I CANT FIGURE
OUT HOW TO GET OUTTA CAPS ON THIS COMPUTER

SEE YA BITCHES IN SHANGHAI

IVE SAID IT ONCE,ILL SAY IT ONE LAST TIME TIL I RETREAT BACK TO MY
ORIGINAL ALLEGIANCE。。。。。

BEIJING ULTIMATE ROCKS (I MEANT TO YELL THIS ONE)

> read more - Hide quoted text -

apfelmeister

Jun 11, 2007, 7:15:18 AM6/11/07
to Beijing Ultimate