The Weekly Email By Betsy 07-17-07

1 view

betsy beijing

Jul 17, 2007, 4:13:01 AM7/17/07
to beijing-...@googlegroups.com

my fine, feathered, frisbee friends,

to thee, betsy presents a riddle:
what happens when you cross a gregarious gorge, a few skeet-like objects, and 80 of candice's mother's closest friends?

give up?

Summer League in Happy Valley!

And if you weren't there last week, you should be ashamed of yourself. Good thing its happening next week too--IN HAPPY VALLEY

WEEKLY ITEM #1:  The Weekly Schedule

Tuesday July 17, Practice, 7.30-10, Gu Lou.
no, not the gu lou back near Pocanoa, Virginia. the one near deshengmen. today's practice is all about ???? go to the google group for directions, or call jason 1391 050 6194.

Wednesday July 18, Community Meeting, 7:30, Rickshaw (south sanlitun road, near the bookworm. If you need directions call jason 1391 050 6194.

Jason says "This meeting is to discuss the future of Beijing Ultimate. Everyone interested in discussing or knowing more about the way that Beijing Ultimate runs is welcome to attend." Thanks Jason for the informative message. Let's all take to heart and participate in what could be the most important moment in Beijing ultimate history.

Thursday July 19, Pick Up, 7-9, Gu Lou.
despite its size, gu lou is quickly becoming one of betsy's favorite fields. as betsy likes to say, "its not the size that counts, but how you use it." lets see everyone out at pick-up on thursday!

Sunday July 22, Summer League, 2 pm meet at dongzhimen for a 3 pm start at the fields, Happy Valley
betsy has a story for all those curious folks out there wondering what happened to dear old Tongzhou. it goes, more or less: "and then god said: let them be happy. And they were."
And if you don't beleive in god, here is the real story: Our party hook-up got busted last week for selling acid-laced acupunture to the Beijing United Family Clinic and ended up fleeing to a Naxi home in Shangrila. needless to say, summer league in tongzhou is currently on hold, and Happy Valley is now the place we roll. so there, god.
______________

lunch time poll:

during the championship of summer league, which rookie is going to catch a callahan while guarding doc, thereby gaining all rights to kilt wearing for either singapore, hong kong, or manila?

a) klass

b) helen

c) vivian

d) gus

e) all of the above

WEEKLY ITEM #2: Summer League Update

Betsy apologies to the weather gods for being out of line last week. With the early light rain making the ground supreme-o layout quality, last Sunday was perfect Ultimate weather. Too bad there is a toxic chemical plant in Happy Valley that will cause imminent death to anyone with prolonged exposure
(CDC clocks this at 10 hours, but don't worry, the strongest will still survive, and then next year's league will be even better!)
As for the games, last weekend was Funky vs Disco with Funky pulling out with 13-10 or 13-9 win (who's counting?). in the other match-up, Groovey continued along their warpath with a 13-8 win, not without Boogie all-star Chip Rountree's cleats first sacrificing themselves to the war gods on the slight chance that it would help Boogie defeat the tyrants of the flatball. Unfortunately you can't expect a pair of 50 kuai cleats to absolve the burden of a whole team--boogie never got that come-back they were hoping for and now chip is out a shitty pair of cleats. As for the line up next week, captains will be sending out all the details soon.

if any one has any questions or comments, you can contact tracie at teece...@gmail.com.  email complaints directly to imaf...@gmail.com

_________

now is the time in the weekly email when betsy gives her weekly shout outs, and call outs.  remember, you want to get shouted out, but you don't want to get called out.

a shout out to Zahlen, for agreeing to print our summer league jerseys using the most wicked material on this side of the tracks. Zahlen will be donating potential profits towards outreach to Chinese players. Where would we be without you, o brother?

a call out to darlies toothpaste. just because you switched out one letter for the next one in the alphabet, we know your secret and boycott your product, which sucks anyway. everyone knows that baking soda is the way to go for all-natural whitening.

a shout out to greg and zoe, who are going to be working madly on editing PLan 5 (remember when we filmed that movie once? you know, the one that doc and clare made-out in? Yeah, that's the one) for us to watch at the party at their place this weekend. if you can only do some of it, can you please put in the clip of doc and clare making out? Betsy secretly has a thing for both of them, but only when they are together, making out. well, c'mon now, don't we all?

a call out to Sandy, for being faster than Betsy on the field and hitting on all her crushes. Honestly Sandy. Just because you can have it all doesn't mean that you should. Have some compassion for the little people, huh?

a shout out to Aaron, for just being himself. Go Aaron.

a call out to co-dependency. This is a personal beef this time, between betsy and this ugly, ugly disease. It's all too often that people create a facade when socializing and always depend on heeding others' every beck and call, just to boost their self-esteem, then getting angry at those people for being too demanding but never once vocalize their frustrations and so spiral into a deep, dark abyss of hating themselves and hating everyone else. bad co-dependency.

WEEKLY ITEM #3:  MAILBAG

every week, betsy gets a lot of emails inviting her out on dates, complementing her on her leadership skills, asking her ultimate related questions, and wanting to know who she is.  the mailbag is where she answers these questions.  as always, these are real letters from real readers.

Letter #1:

dear betsy,

i heard that Zahlen has a motorcycle. I have a motorcycle. Can you help us organize a drag race?

ready for action,
george

dear george,

of course. betsy would love to help facilitate one such "meeting of the minds," but only if she gets a free ride on your bike--driving that is, with you in the sidecart. My place, tomorrow at 7?

betsy
xxxooo

Letter #2:

dear betsy,

My name is Spring and I'm new in the Beijing Ultimate community. I want to make friends while I'm here, but don't want to turn people off by telling them that I go to Harvard. What should I do?

smart but anxious,

spring

dear spring,

No need to worry. You won't be getting any favors here. We here at Beijing ultimate do not judge on the basis of academic scholarship, and will not base our relations with you merely on the fact that you attend some prestigious Ivy League school, perhaps the most prestigious of all Ivy League schools. In fact, did you know that founded in 1636, Harvard is America's oldest university? It offers an extraordinary scope: a curriculum with 3,500 courses and over 40 areas of concentration; the largest university library system in the world; a universally renowned faculty; nearly 300 student organizations and 41 intercollegiate athletic teams; a House system that combines the intimacy of a small college with the rich and stimulating environment of a university; state-of-the-art research centers, laboratories, and museums; the resources of 10 graduate and professional schools; and the varied cultural, educational, and recreational offerings of Cambridge and Boston (that's Massachusetts for those of you who weren't aware).

By the way, are you perhaps a science/engineering major? Just curious, because the science faculty has won 29 Nobel Prizes. Do you plan on winning a Nobel Prize someday? If you do, make sure you give a shout out to betsy for all her guidance along the arduous path to world fame and recognition.

betsy
xxxooo

Letter #3:

dear betsy,

i made one lousy comment about everyone posting way too much crap on the google groups, and now everyone seems to be on my back (although I don't take it back). i am afraid this will go down with me to my grave. will I ever get relief?

still peeved,
jamieson s. potter

dear jamieson s. potter,

well, you better than anyone knows how betsy feels about off-list posting on the google groups—there is no time and no place for it. but on the other hand, sarcastic remarks that satirize the whole issue without stating your feelings clearly do not help the task at hand, they just make people laugh and get on with their lives, meanwhile using your remarks as ammo to sarcastically attack you at any time. Anyway, of all people, you should know that this really isn't a question for betsy, it would be more appropriate to forward it on to matt flynn at imaf...@gmail.com.

betsy
xxxooo

WEEKLY RUMOR THAT MUST BE TRUE: did anyone notice what time Barbie showed up at league on sunday? betsy clocked her in at quarter to five. how about mr. robo monroe? 5:15. is it a coincidence that two people arrive so absurdly late with only minutes between them? And, is it possible that Barbie is just that stupid to have really gone to tongzhou instead of happy valley, as she claimed? Honestly! Even someone nicknamed Barbie can't be that mental. Sorry you two, you're just not clever enough to pull the wool over ol' betsy's eyes. Better luck next time you try to cover up a secret love affair--blaming it on traffic would have been more believable.

WEEKLY ITEM #4:  Social Calender

This weekend there's tons to do. May no one be alone this Friday and Saturday, unless they like that kind of thing. As for betsy she plans on making appearances at all the events.

BLACK SUN BLOCK PARTY—Friday night. We can expect more of the same black sun fun from this event, but this time with a special twist…details to be announced by Zahlen soon.

GREG, ZOE and MAE'S HOUSEWARMING PARTY aka last chance to make out with Clare party

Either this Friday or Saturday night. Possible demonstration of our courageous adventure into film and the world beyond with the screening of Plan 5 excerpts; apartment has a bar to boot. See Greg's email for more info, or call him to while away the lonely hours at 13693210213

JASON READING THE WORKS OF JK ROWLING

Jason takes to the streets with the new release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows, preparing to give all his soul to provide anyone willing to listen a full, cover to cover reading of the much-anticipated novel. time and place tba

STILL sometime in the next week, transformers, east gate cinema.
chip is officially in charge of arranging a transformers viewing for all those lazy folks who didn't see it opening night like betsy did. For more details write chip a long-winded email declaring that you will reveal to him the secret of life if he makes plans and he will surely acquiesce to your demands.

-----------------

WEEKLY QUIZ:  for you newbies, the weekly quiz is a game where betsy asks a few simple questions, and it's your job to provide the correct answers.  as always, googling is prohibited.  this week's winner will receive a 2 hour free client consultation from Ken Su.

this week's category--classic, 1996 hip-hop:

what is the full dialogue on the first track of blackstreet's hit album "no diggity" that transpires between black and street? If you get it approximately Ken might bend the rules and give you a 1 hour consult instead.

as for last week's question, donald wins the tour of the ambassador's house with his astounding knowledge of beijing ultimate's former players, and their weaknesses. Now finally you'll get to see more than just the bedroom of Clark's place, a place betsy knows you've "accidently" ended up once or twice.

WEEKLY UPA 11th EDITION RULE:

Traveling: The thrower must establish a pivot at the appropriate spot on the field and keep all or part of the pivot in contact with that spot until the throw is released. Failure to do so is a travel and results in a stoppage of play and a check.

  1. In addition, each of the following is a travel:
    1. A player catches the disc and either speeds up, changes direction or does not stop as quickly as possible before establishing a pivot (XV.B).
    2. A player receives a pass while running or jumping, and releases a pass after the third ground contact and before establishing a pivot (XV.C).
    3. Purposeful bobbling (including tipping, delaying, guiding, brushing, or the like) to oneself in order to advance the disc in any direction from where it initially was contacted (XV.A).
    4. The thrower fails to touch the disc to the ground when required (XIII.B).
  2. Exceptions:
    1. If a non-standing player loses contact with the pivot spot in order to stand up, it is not a travel, provided the new pivot is established at the same location.
    2. It is not a travel if a player catches the disc and releases a pass before the third ground contact (XV.C).
    3. If play stops, the thrower may reset the pivot.

This may seem like a simple enough rule, but everyone has their own way of saying it. this is the right way…at least until the 12th edition comes out.

http://www.upa.org/ultimate/rules/11th#XVI

_______

which brings us finally to your moment of zen:

sometimes zen comes in other forms than video clips. Especially for those whose internet is temporarily not allow video. Betsy encourages you to find your own special moment of zen, then let her know so she can try it out in her new heat-yoga taibo pilates hatha voo-doo christian scientist spiritual cleansing regime.

catch you on the field,
betsy
xxxooo

Donald De Bona

Jul 17, 2007, 4:32:55 AM7/17/07
to beijing-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Betsy,

As competition heats up, I would like to know more about the
tournament rules for Summer League. Last Sunday, someone mentioned a
"hard cap" - what is this strange thing that interupted Boogie's
comeback against team Groovy?

BTW, I beleive the final score was Groovy 12, Boogie 9, not 13-8.

-your confused boogie master

> the google groups--there is no time and no place for it. but on the other

> hand, sarcastic remarks that satirize the whole issue without stating your
> feelings clearly do not help the task at hand, they just make people laugh
> and get on with their lives, meanwhile using your remarks as ammo to
> sarcastically attack you at any time. Anyway, of all people, you should know
> that this really isn't a question for betsy, it would be more appropriate to
> forward it on to matt flynn at imaf...@gmail.com.
>
> betsy
> xxxooo
>
> WEEKLY RUMOR THAT MUST BE TRUE: did anyone notice what time Barbie showed up
> at league on sunday? betsy clocked her in at quarter to five. how about mr.
> robo monroe? 5:15. is it a coincidence that two people arrive so absurdly
> late with only minutes between them? And, is it possible that Barbie is just
> that stupid to have really gone to tongzhou instead of happy valley, as she
> claimed? Honestly! Even someone nicknamed Barbie can't be that mental. Sorry
> you two, you're just not clever enough to pull the wool over ol' betsy's
> eyes. Better luck next time you try to cover up a secret love
> affair--blaming it on traffic would have been more believable.
>
> WEEKLY ITEM #4: Social Calender
>
> This weekend there's tons to do. May no one be alone this Friday and
> Saturday, unless they like that kind of thing. As for betsy she plans on
> making appearances at all the events.
>

> BLACK SUN BLOCK PARTY--Friday night. We can expect more of the same black
> sun fun from this event, but this time with a special twist...details to be

> saying it. this is the right way...at least until the 12th edition comes

Matthew Brady Meisenhelder

Jul 17, 2007, 5:19:01 AM7/17/07
to beijing-...@googlegroups.com

Trick question. No diggity isn’t a hip-hop song: its poppy, crap RnB (and I hate calling it RnB since RnB used to mean something different and label-worthy about back in the 60s (i.e. The Who)).

Brady

Transformers soon please.

Also I need a part-time job if you have one ;)

[...]

Jason Cox

Jul 17, 2007, 6:19:18 AM7/17/07
to Beijing Ultimate
If the criteria for wearing Doc's kilt is scoring a calahan against
him......then wouldn't Will from Shanghai hold that honor?

On Jul 17, 5:19 pm, "Matthew Brady Meisenhelder" <brady...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Trick question. No diggity isn't a hip-hop song: its poppy, crap RnB (and I
> hate calling it RnB since RnB used to mean something different and
> label-worthy about back in the 60s (i.e. The Who)).
>
> Brady
>
> Transformers soon please.
>
> Also I need a part-time job if you have one ;)
>
> _____
>

> teeceegl...@gmail.com. email complaints directly to imafl...@gmail.com

> forward it on to matt flynn at imafl...@gmail.com.

> betsy
> xxxooo
>
> WEEKLY RUMOR THAT MUST BE TRUE: did anyone notice what time Barbie showed up
> at league on sunday? betsy clocked her in at quarter to five. how about mr.
> robo monroe? 5:15. is it a coincidence that two people arrive so absurdly
> late with only minutes between them? And, is it possible that Barbie is just
> that stupid to have really gone to tongzhou instead of happy valley, as she
> claimed? Honestly! Even someone nicknamed Barbie can't be that mental. Sorry
> you two, you're just not clever enough to pull the wool over ol' betsy's
> eyes. Better luck next time you try to cover up a secret love
> affair--blaming it on traffic would have been more believable.
>
> WEEKLY ITEM #4: Social Calender
>
> This weekend there's tons to do. May no one be alone this Friday and

> Saturday, unless they like that kind of thing. As for ...
>
> read more »

Bonedaddy

Jul 17, 2007, 12:15:57 PM7/17/07
to Beijing Ultimate
Snap, I'm going down there this weekend if you want me to bring the
kilt.