The Weekly Email By Betsy 4-9-08

1 view

betsy beijing

Apr 9, 2008, 2:15:01 AM4/9/08
to Beijing Ultimate

frisbee buds,

it's that time of year again.  when the young, immature sprouts of beijing ultimate begin to ripen into flowering frisbee blossoms.  don't let the winds, dust, or pollution scare you off.  it's time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, and open your eyes.  it's high time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man.  and the lovetrain rides from coast to coast.  every minute of every hour - i love a sunflower.  and I believe in lovepower, love power, lovepower!!!

uhhh, sorry about that.  i just get really excited for spring.

WEEKLY ITEM #1:  The Weekly Schedule

Wednesday April 9, Pick Up, 7-9.30, BCIS

rumors are swirling that we will have a special guest appearance at pick up wednesday night.  make sure to be there and see who it is.

Saturday April 12, Big Brother Practice, 11-1.30 BCIS.

betsy is still recovering from last saturday's practice. while everyone else was running sprints, she was skinny dipping in the pool with christian.  have you seen him lately without his shirt on?  i have.

Sunday April 13, Pick Up, 3.00-5.00 Dulwich

we will have a bus at dzm, 1.45.  every week, betsy tries to predict exactly how many people will show up.  every week she's wrong.  after having 67 people out two weeks ago, i predicted we'd have 72 ren this past week.  instead we had 13.  and one of them was jenn brown, who doesn't count.  this week i am predicting that we will NOT have exactly 25 people.  hopefully i will be correct for a change.

______________

lunch time poll:

which of the following would make the best logo for big brother:

a) charlie the unicorn

b) i'm not sure, but it better include racing stripes

c) jamie potter's beautiful, beautiful eyes

d) whatever design doc comes up with is fine.  it's not like we get a say in the matter anyway

WEEKLY ITEM #2: Upcoming Events

Jeju

Jeju is the last weekend in April, the 26th and 27th.  To get an idea of what it was like last year, check out this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SEd5iuCWzc

thanks to jim and korean air, we now have flights booked.  here are the details:

Flight Info:

APR25 KE856  PEK CJU  1155  1525

APR28 KE855  CJU  PEK  0915 1050

If you have questions call Korean Air at 400-658 8888

For those who are a little more anal, here are your personal ticket numbers:

Sandy 180-4775785388

Tracie 180-4775785387

Ryan 180-4775785386

Reid 180-4775785385

Becca 180-4775785384

Patrick 180-4775785383

Nicki 180-4775785382

Michelle 180-4775785381

Doc 180-4775785380

Lauren 180-4775785379

Ken Dry 180-4775785378

Julia 180-4775785377

Joe 180-4775785376

Jeff 180-4775785375

Jason 180-4775785374

Jim 180-4775785373

Lisa 180-4775785372

Donald 180-4775785371

Char 180-4775785370

Candice 180-4775785369

it also turns out the price was a bit cheaper than we originally thought.  the final price was 780 rmb.  see jim for your refunds.

The 2nd Annual China Nationals Tournament

This year's natties are going to be held in the capital. The dates will be May 31st and June 1st. It is going to be Beijing's first time ever to host a tournament.  If you are interested in helping organize this year's tournament, please contact Kelly at kndu218 at hotmail dot com.

Future Tournaments:

―6 21--22 ―― Shanghai

―8 30--31 ―― Singapore

―Late October ―― Hong Kong

―11 22--23 ―― Manila

_________

now is the time in the weekly email when betsy gives her weekly shout outs, and call outs.  remember, you want to get shouted out, but you don't want to get called out.

a shout out to kevin reitz, who uses the google group more than 90% of the people that actually live in beijing.  here's hoping that kevin is as cute and rich as his posting frequency implies.

a call out to everyone named gabe.  the gabes of this world seem to treat beijing ultimate as casually as a bear treats honey.  which is to say they love it until spawning season starts, and then they are off to the river, and you never see them again. we miss you gabes.

a shout out to jeff, who has ably filled in for char and jason while they have been gone.  it turns out that we really don't need those two after all.  take your time coming back.  jeff's got you covered.

a call out to joe, candice and shen, who have allowed jeff to usurp all their power, proving their impotence.  is it just a coincidence that two of them are injured and one of them is taking the hsk the same weekend as jeju.  who elected these yahoos.  jeff orcutt for president!!!

a shout out to doc, who proved what a nice guy he was this week.  first he offered to let sandy come back to his place when she was locked out of her apt.  of course it turned out she didn't need to take up his offer when her roommate came back in time to let her in.  then he invited jenn brown to do her laundry at his place, but jenn decided she was too busy washing her hair.  if any other women in beijing ultimate need help with anything that would involve you going over to doc's apt, he would really really like to help you out.  he's such a nice guy!

a call out to honey, which has been tempting both bees and bears from time immemorial.  when will you ever mend your wicked ways, oh sweet delectable honey?

WEEKLY ITEM #3:  MAILBAG

every week, betsy gets a lot of emails inviting her out on dates, complementing her on her leadership skills, asking her ultimate related questions, and wanting to know who she is.  the mailbag is where she answers these questions.  as always, these are real letters from real readers.

Letter #1:

dear betsy,

i'm a religious reader of the weekly email, and i've noticed that lots of people in the group have really cool nicknames, like robogabe, ken 2.0, and barbie.  who's in charge of giving out these nicknames, and how do i get one?

thanks,

kevin s.

dear ks,

this is a common question, but it pays to update things about once a year.  i am of course the one who gives out nicknames.  here's a complete list of past, present, and future nicknames:

barbie:  barbie

joe devino: the kid

gabe monroe: robogabe

the new christian: the oc

ken dry: ken 2.0

chris bohner: mr. pink

becca: blue balls

jamie potter: bode

jim kirchhoff: little jim

gabe wildeau:  the unabomber

reid:  the landshark

candice: princess cdice

here are the nicknames that betsy did not actually give out herself, but she was feeling generous, so she allowed them to stick:

donald: the sea monster

jeff orcutt: the dude

and these are the nicknames currently under beta testing:

patrick li:  the godfather

nestor santana: el gado

greg may: the dungeon master

joe pellicano:  the refrigerator

jason: the pencil

sandy: the empress dowager (ed for short)

since you will be arriving here soon, you will need a nickname as well.  i have dubbed you the commissioner.  i hope you enjoy your new beijing ultimate nickname.

betsy

xxxooo

_________

WEEKLY RUMOR THAT MUST BE TRUE: if betsy got a nickel for every time someone asked her where donald's been the last two weeks, she'd be dirt poor, because no one's asked.  but apparently his flimsy excuse of returning to america was just that, an outright lie.  betsy has it on good authority that donald was in kunming smoothing things over with his secret wife that he met 4 years ago over the internet. she's pissed because he's been spending so much of his time in beijing.  donald, for your sake, i hope helen doesn't read these emails.  that apartment of yours has a history of ex girlfriends dating the roommates of their ex boyfriends.

WEEKLY ITEM #4:  Social Calender

Saturday afternoon, Kickball Tournament, sponsored by Princess CDice:

The tournament will be held on April 12, 2008 12:30-5:30pm at fields near happy valley amusement park (East 4th Ring near Da Wang Lu).  Candice may be setting up a van or a bus to head there from dongzhimen. If not, we will send directions.

Beer will be provided, but you will have to bring your own cups!!!  This is to keep the cost down.  Bring your own non-disposable cups! And perhaps nothing that will break. Participation fee is not yet been completely determined, but will end up being about 30-50 kuai a person.

Everyone going to Jeju needs to of course go to practice first.  Jeju is almost upon us.  Luckily, the kickball fields are not that far away from BCIS, so it will be an easy jaunt from there.  We'll be heading straight to kickball as soon as practice is over.  I suggest everyone bring some hard liquor in a mug or thermos, and start getting liquored up right after warmups.  that way you will be well on your way to being drunk by the time you get to the fields.  Don't tell Doc (he never reads these emails anyway).

Saturday evening, Party at Sandy's.

It's some friend of sandy's b-day.  this person does not play frisbee, but it's a good excuse to go trash sandy's house again, and play donald's new wii.

Where: 24 Dongzhimen Nei Beixiaojie, 13 Dan Yuan, Room 601

When: Saturday, April 12 from 9:00 pm to 6:00 am

-----------------

WEEKLY QUIZ:  for you newbies, the weekly quiz is a game where betsy asks a few simple questions, and it's your job to provide the correct answers.  as always, googling is prohibited.  this week's winner will receive an autographed headshot from beijing ultimate's resident hunk, chip rountree.

this week's category: 80's cartoons.

name five characters from the original G.I. Joe cartoon. your answer must include that one sailor guy with the parrot.  he's being played by matt damon in the movie.

as for last week's question, it turns out jenn brown had z's pants all along.  jenn, i hope you enjoyed your day off on friday, courtesy of the chinese government.

________

This week's rule clarification:

this came up last week at the beijing showdown:

XVI.C.2 That guy has awesome pants.

Any time a player on the field realizes that another player on the field, on the sidelines, or in the general vicinity is wearing awesome pants, he is obligated to announce it to everyone by shouting out "awesome pants" loudly.  Play immediately stops, so that everyone can appreciate the awesomeness of said pants. This call can be made by either an offensive or defensive player.  After an amount of time has elapsed in direct proportion to how awesome the pants are, play resumes.

which brings us finally to your moment of zen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEV-OyqKccI

catch you on the field,

betsy

xxxooo

Donald De Bona

Apr 9, 2008, 2:45:06 AM4/9/08
to Beijing Ultimate
I don't know what betsy is talking about, BUT, speaking of Kunming and
internet dating, you should ask me to tell you the Kunming Porno Dwarf
story when you get a chance.