The Weekly Email by Betsy 12/4/2007

Betsy

Dec 4, 2007, 6:50:21 AM12/4/07
to Beijing Ultimate
Hello fellow flatballers!

Well we've reached that time of year again. The time when vast numbers
of Beijing ex-pats make their mass exoduses back to their motherlands,
visiting family and friends that they left long ago for the "greener"
pastures of Beijing. No worries, however, for those of you who have
decided to tough it out through the long, cold, Beijing winter. Pickup
will still be going strong, and Betsy encourages everyone to come out
and keep warm by running aimlessly around a gym after a 175 gm piece
of plastic.

WEEKLY ITEM #1: The Weekly Schedule

Wednesday, Dec. 5 BCIS 7 30- 9 30

BCIS will once again play host to our Wednesday night pick up. To
Betsy's elation, last week had some great numbers. Hopefully the trend
will follow this week.

Sunday, Dec. 9 TBA

Nobody really clues Betsy in on these things anymore, but it's a good
guess that pickup will happen somewhere, and we will probably be
meeting at Dongzhimen in front of the McDonalds at 2. This past Sunday
we found ourselves outside and with a stroke of great luck we were
fortunate enough to play in relatively mild weather. Chip was even
able to rock the short-shorts. However we will most likely be moving
back indoors this upcoming Sunday, so no need to fret about the
weather. Expect an update later in the week about this, most likely
coming from the man with the plan, Jason Cox.

WEEKLY ITEM #2: Mailbag

Betsy tends to get a lot of fan mail. This is Betsy's chance to give
back to the ultimate community by imparting her wisdom onto all of
you. Just one letter this week, send in your questions and Betsy will
do her best to get to as many as she can.

Letter #1

Dear Betsy,
I took a language pledge at the beginning of the Semester. I've
been pretty good at sticking to it, however sometimes I slip up.
Barbie happens to be the new Resident Director of my program, and
she's started to scare me with threats that if I mess up, I'm out.
What can I do?

Scared in Beijing,
the new Ken

Ken,

No worries, Barbie is all talk and no business. If she does
threaten to rat you out, Betsy suggests going the blackmail route. If
you're low on dirt, ask around for some pictures from Hong Kong's
party. Only one word comes to mind to describe them: Juicy.

xxxooo betsy
_________

Now is the time in the weekly email when betsy gives her weekly shout
outs
and call outs. remember, you want to get shouted out, but you don't
want to
get called out.

a shout out to the weather gods, who offered us fantastic conditions
to play in this past Sunday.

a call out to anyone who didn't show up because they thought it was
too cold out. It wasn't.

a shout out to Ma's Restaurant, for going out in style.

a call out to Chris Boehner. He comes back to Beijing only to leave as
quickly as he arrived. You take a piece of betsy's heart with you
every time you leave. Just realize betsy's arms might be filled by
someone else come May (Ryan and Joe are both looking like good
prospects)

WEEKLY ITEM #3: Weekly Quiz

The weekly quiz is a time when Betsy asks a piece of Trivia, be it
from pop culture, Beijing ultimate history, or any other field that
Betsy chooses. As always, the use of google is prohibited. This week's
quiz is from 90's pop culture:

In the movie Fight Club, starring Brad Pitt and Ed Norton (not to
mention a stellar performance by Meatloaf) what song is played during
the movie's final scene, and who sang this song?

Last week's quiz had no winner, only one big loser. Gabe, so close yet
so far. The song WAS in fact Life on Mars by David Bowie, however the
album was NOT the rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust. The album, from the
same year in fact, was Hunky Dory. I was going to give you partial
credit if it weren't for the fact that after messing up the album, you
proceeded to quote the wrong David Bowie song. The song you quoted was
Ziggy Stardust and not Life on Mars. So no prize for Gabe, although I
will give him credit for being unbelievably confident in his answer.
So much so that nobody else even questioned it.
____

Which brings us to this week's moment of zen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuOvqeABHvQ

catch you on the field,
betsy
xxxooo

Gabriel Wildau

Dec 4, 2007, 9:08:21 PM12/4/07
to beijing-...@googlegroups.com
look, i'm not going to bore the team by getting bogged down in the details of exactly who attributed what martian-themed bowie masterpiece to which early-seventies lp. the record is unequivocal on three points:
  1. i never claimed that the lyric i quoted came from "life on mars," but rather from a different song on the same album, viz the rise and fall of ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars.
  2. any one of us might have concluded that 1972 bowie gem "life on mars" was the quasi-fictional creation of said martian spiders.
  3. betsy sucks bowie's big fat [oops--i almost did it again. thanks for the reminder barbs! i'm keeping it squeaky from here on].
hopefully that clears everything up. for more information on the music of david bowie, see me in my office.

~Gabe

Nicholas Dupuy

Dec 4, 2007, 11:13:42 PM12/4/07
to beijing-...@googlegroups.com
Hi There,

The final song of fight club is from the pixies .... I think it is "Where is my mind ?"
This title is matching well with the story of the movie ...

The singer is Frank black or/and the girl from the Breeders/the Pixies (don't remember her name ..)

Nicholas "nice hammer guy"