The Weekly Email By Betsy 5-22-07

1 view

betsy beijing

May 22, 2007, 12:00:08 AM5/22/07
to beijing-...@googlegroups.com
frisbee friends,

it's that time again.  tournament time.  everyone that's anyone is heading to tianjin this weekend.  what's that you say?  you aren't going to tianjin?  do i even know who you are?  i think you are confusing this email list with the list for people who like to sit home on the weekend watching sports clips on you tube rather than going out and playing disc.

but it's not too late.  we have room for everyone, and i mean EVERYONE, who wants to go play in tianjin. don't miss out.  sign up today.

WEEKLY ITEM #1:  The Weekly Schedule

tuesday may 22nd, practice at bcis, 7:30
if you are coming to tianjin, then why not come to practice?  this week we will be working on the two most essential skills that every team must do well to succeed (besides drinking and making out, both of which we have covered in abundance.)

thursday may 24th, pick up at bcis, 7:30

saturday may 26th-sunday may 27th, tianjin.  details below

sunday may 27th.  pickup at isb cancelled.

for more extensive details, maps, and last minute changes, please check the google group home page.  link at bottom.

______________

here's a reason for everybody to pat themselves on the back.  returning on the bus from pick up on sunday, betsy overheard stewart commenting on the state of ultimate in beijing.  the last time stewart came out was 3 years ago.  he said that this time, as opposed to before, everyone was friendly and helpful, and not hyper-competitive and that he felt much more welcome.  that's no surprise here, as betsy has been saying for a while that she is loving the good vibes being put out by beijing ultimate.  keep it up.

WEEKLY ITEM #2: TIANJIN

here are the two teams for tianjin:

hot and sexy:

brady
doc
patrick w.
candice
peggy
becca
robogabe
chris b.
julio
donald
greg m.
barbie
fred
daphne
velma
patrick li
gemma
zoe
chip
big jim
claire

team titcomb

zahlen
qxhna
rohre
xtehn
vehro
clark
nick
jason
sandy
char
jen b
jamie
shen (maybe)
reid
gabe w
tracie
renny
stephanie
jeff
joe
john

wow, if you only count the people that are actually playing, and not the names i made up, that still comes to a whopping 17 or 18 per team.  fantastic.

here are more of the details for the tournament, via edward:

our national tournament will be hold at Dagang district of Tianjing on 26th and 27th May. This tournament is organized by all the TianJing sports university students and this tournament and we don't  have any sponsors, considering the fact that some of the player are local students and they can not afforded the same fee as foreigner.. below is the rough cost for this tournament.

field fee : (Saturday we will have 4 field, 2 turf and 2 grass. Sunday we only have 2 turf.)

 foreigner  150RMB

party    foreigner  40RMB

lunch in the field (Saturday and Sunday ) 20rmb

Transportation: .TJ train station to fields, return:  40rmb

                                   TJ airport to field, return: 40rmb

Hotel- 5 minute cab to the field

hotel info

     60rmb room:  3 beds and 1 TV , No bathroom in the room,  share bathrooms at the each floor.

      120rmb room:  2 beds ,TV,phone, bathroom,

there are some better hotles, if you need some  we can book for you, and please tell me in advance.also if you guys want us to send some buses to meet in Beijing airport or you will make it by yourselves in Beijing ,please let me know how it is going.

    宾馆:60 元三人间,三张单人床,电视等简单设施,无电话,屋子清洁卫生,楼层有公共卫生间,洗澡间,洗手间,价格对于学生很适合

          120元标准间,两张单人床,电视,电话,洗手间,卫生间,洗澡间,                此价格对非学生,外国人适合

the schedle for this tournament is follow,

Sarurday    9:00pm---11:30pm games

                       11:40pm---1:00pm lunch

                       1:40pm---6:30pm  games

Sunday       9:30am--11:30am games

                      11:40am--1:00pm lunch

                       1:40pm ---3:10pm  mixed game

This tournament will use the UPA rules , we may  have some foreign players to help Chinese students  games as a referee

stay tuned for more information from zahlen regarding bus and train times.

_________

now is the time in the  weekly email when betsy gives her weekly shout outs, and call outs.  remember, you want to get shouted out, but you don't want to get called out.

a shout out to the new beijing ultimate committee: jason(fields and treasury), doc(long winded emails), tracie(out reach), candice(making out) and barbie(merchandising).  because you five have made the most contributions to emailing on this list, you've been selected to be officially responsible should anyone file a lawsuit against beijing ultimate.

a call out to everyone who came to practice last tuesday thinking, "oh, someone else will bring some frisbees."  well it turns out it's not so easy to have a practice with only two discs.  cmon!

a shout out to moses, who officially has the coolest name in beijing ultimate

a call out to zahlen, who officially thinks he has the coolest name in beijing ultimate, but doesn't even have the coolest name in his own family.  yeah qxhna!

a shout out to all the new players that have been coming out.  we must have had 30+ people this sunday.  it's been great.  and with our annual summer league returning in june, we are going to need all of you to keep coming.

a call out to disposable chopsticks.  it turns out china alone uses 45 billion a year: http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article353803.ece
do the world a favor, and start carrying reusable chopsticks in your bag or purse.  betsy is watching you!

WEEKLY ITEM #3:  MAILBAG

every week, betsy gets a lot of emails inviting her out on dates, complementing her on her leadership skills, asking her ultimate related questions, and wanting to know who she is.  the mailbag is where she answers these questions.  as always, these are real letters from real readers.

Letter #1:

dear betsy,

i started coming out to frisbee because i heard there were a lot of cute guys playing.  so far, i haven't met any.  am i looking in the wrong place?

clare.

dear claire,

funny i was having the same conversation with candice's mom just the other day.  you should move to manila and start playing there.  that's where all the cute guys are.

xxxooo
betsy

Letter # 2:

dear betsy,

ever since i moved to san francisco, you've stopped callling me.  i thought we had something special.  what's up with that?

jk

dear jk

i'm just waiting for you to break up with your girlfriend.  betsy doesn't like being the other woman.

xxxooo
betsy

Letter #3:

attention betsy,

why are humans so slow and fragile?

that is all,
robogabe 3000

dear robogabe,

it's because they have hearts that can be easily broken.  especially by robots that make lots of promises.

xxxooo
betsy

WEEKLY RUMOR THAT MUST BE TRUE: this week betsy noticed that both sandy and brady were having a good time at the party saturday night.  but on sunday, neither were to be seen.  it turns out they were too "tired" or "sick" to make it out.  and by make it out, i mean come to frisbee.  and by come...well you get the idea.  they might as well announce they are secretly dating each other with one of those planes that writes smoke messages in the sky. all you guys that have a crush on peggy, i guess now's your chance.

WEEKLY ITEM #4:  SOCIAL CALENDER

frisbee parties on the horizon:

wed may 23rd, camping trip.  jason is taking his friends camping on the great wall overnight on wed.  chris bohner is also going.  anyone who has time off from work and wants to go camping, let jason (1391 050 6194) know.

fri may 25th.  some of the hong kong players and a couple of the shanghai players will be flying into beijing that night and heading to tianjin in the morning.  we'll be taking them out that night to get them good and wasted so they puke on the fields saturday morning.  for more details call doc (1346 672 6334) or candice (1365 107 7984) later in the week.  to just watch somebody puke, call jason (1391 050 6194).

sat may 26th. tianjin tournament party.  even if you aren't playing frisbee, come for the festivities.  clark and pals are going to be training over in order to party down with the frisbee crowd on saturday night.  for party details, contact zahlen (ztit...@gmail.com)

-----------------

WEEKLY QUIZ:  for you newbies, the weekly quiz is a game where betsy asks a few simple questions, and it's your job to provide the correct answers.  as always, googling is prohibited.  this week's winner will receive a private cricket lesson with gemma.

this week's category, movie quotes.  name the following movies, and which character said them.  first correct answer wins:

1)  I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

2) I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem *may* have been, that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being *crushed* by a *dwarf*. Alright? That tended to understate the hugeness of the object.

3) Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.

as for last week's question, no one got the correct answer which was:

One time, me and a ninja friend of mine were killing a whole bunch of pirates, and this one pirate couldn't believe what was happening. So after he said "yarr" about 50 million times, he started to say "blow me down," but I cut his head off before he said "down." Both of us Ninjas thought about it for a minute, and then we just broke out in hysterics. Later we told all our ninja friends about it. We all had a good laugh at that one. Stupid pirate.
_______

which brings us finally to:

this weeks 11th edition rule:

Any time an infraction is called, the continuation rule applies. Continuation Rule: Play stops when the thrower in possession acknowledges that an infraction has been called. If a call is made when the disc is in the air or the thrower is in the act of throwing, or if the thrower fails to acknowledge the call and subsequently attempts a pass, play continues until the outcome of that pass is determined. For the purpose of the continuation rule, an uncontested stall that occurs after another call is treated the same as an incomplete pass. Play then either stops or continues according to the following conditions:
  1. For calls made by the thrower:
    1. If the infraction occurred before the thrower was in the act of throwing (II.T.3):
      1. If the pass was incomplete, play continues un-halted. Players should announce play on.
      2. If the pass was complete, play stops and possession reverts to the thrower.
    2. If the infraction occurred while the thrower was in the act of throwing (II.T.3):
      1. If the pass was complete, play continues un-halted. Players should announce play on.
      2. If the pass was incomplete, play stops and possession reverts to the thrower.
    3. If the infraction occurred after the throw was released, the call is considered to have been made by a non-thrower (XVI.C.2).
  2. For calls made by a non-thrower:
    1. If the team that called the infraction has possession:
      1. If the offense called the infraction before the thrower began the act of throwing (II.T.3), play stops and possession reverts to the thrower.
      2. If the offense called the infraction after the thrower began the act of throwing or if the defense called the infraction, play continues un-halted. Players should announce play on.
    2. If the team that committed the infraction has possession:
      1. If the infraction affected the play (XVI.C.3), play stops and the disc reverts to the thrower unless the specific rule says otherwise.
      2. If the infraction did not affect the play, play stops and the result of the play stands.
  3. An infraction affected the play if an infracted player determines that the outcome of the specific play (from the time of the infraction until play stops) may have been meaningfully different absent the infraction. (For example, if a receiver is fouled and thereby prevented from getting open for a pass, the play was affected; however, if the receiver would not have received a pass even without the foul, the play was not affected.)
  4. Positioning after a call:
    1. If no pass is thrown or attempted before the thrower stops play by acknowledging the call, all players return to the locations they occupied when the call was made.
    2. If a pass is thrown or attempted before the thrower acknowledges the call or the call is made after the throwing attempt, and
      1. if possession reverts to the thrower, all players return to the locations they occupied at the earlier of:
        1. the time of the throw,
        2. the time of the call.
      2. if the result of a play stands, players return to the locations they occupied when play stopped.
    3. After a travel call, the thrower must return to the location occupied at the time of the infraction.

wow, this is a complicated one, but it came up this week.  what it means is no longer do we have to ask if the call was made before the throw. if the thrower does not hear a call, makes a throw, and it's completed, and that call had no bearing on the play, the play stands.  (unless it was an offensive call, in which case the disc returns).

summing up, if a defensive call did not affect the play, the play stands.

catch you on the field,
betsy
xxx ooo

Jason Cox

May 22, 2007, 1:43:03 AM5/22/07
to Beijing Ultimate
1) Caddyshack (Bill Murray in reference to his discussion with the
Dalai Lama over a golf match)
2) Spinaltap (over the miniature Stonehenge set that was built due to
the incorrect units. FYI, '=feet and "=inches)
3) Life Aquatic (also Bill Murray in pursuit of the rare Tiger Shark)

> [...]

> getting open for a pass, the play was affected; however, if the receiver
> would not have received a pass even without the foul, the play was not
> affected.)

> 4. Positioning after a call:
> 1. If no pass is thrown or attempted before the thrower stops

> play by acknowledging the call, all players return to the locations they
> occupied when the call was made.

> 2. If a pass is thrown or attempted before the thrower

> acknowledges the call or the call is made after the throwing attempt, and

> 1. if possession reverts to the thrower, all players

> return to the locations they occupied at the earlier of:

> 1. the time of the throw,
> 2. the time of the call.
> 2. if the result of a play stands, players return to the

> locations they occupied when play stopped.

> 3. After a travel call, the thrower must return to the location

apfelmeister

May 23, 2007, 4:40:05 AM5/23/07
to Beijing Ultimate
not even a shout out to all the birthdays happening recently?

jeff