The Weekly Email By Betsy 6-12-07

betsy beijing

Jun 12, 2007, 12:18:36 AM6/12/07
to beijing-...@googlegroups.com
beijing ultimate, it's faaaantastic.

the moment is almost here, the countdown nearly finished.  only 5 more days till the shanghai tournament.  for every newbie who has never really been to a full scale tournament before (and tianjin doesn't exactly count) you should say goodbye to your non frisbee friends and relatives before you leave, because after this weekend, you'll never be the same again.  you will finally be an ultimate player, which means you won't have room in your life anymore for people who don't play frisbee.

before we get started, i want to remind everyone that this summer will feature the return of the beijing city league.  in order to plan out all the logistics, we need to know who's going to be here during the summer and wants to be a part of it.  tracie is coordinating, and she's working on compiling a list of players available.  so please cooperate and let tracie know that you are going to be around and participating.

WEEKLY ITEM #1:  The Weekly Schedule

tuesday june 12, practice at bcis, 7:30
our last scheduled practice time before shanghai.  be there!

thursday june 14, pick up at bcis, 7.30
easy pick up day to work up a decent sweat and get in some throws before shanghai.  please, no one over do it on thursday.  nobody wants to get hurt two days before a tournament. This also marks what looks to be our last summer session at BCIS, as the school is closing until august. we'll keep you updated on what we'll be doing next week.

saturday and sunday june 16-17, shanghai tournament.  the majority of people are flying into shanghai together on friday night.  for those of us who have time, let's plan to have dinner together around dongzhimen and then head to the airport together.  we can share cabs or grab the airport shuttle at dzm, 16 kuai per person.  and remember the first rule of ultimate: pack your cleats in your carry on.  everything else can be replaced if your bags get lost, but not your cleats.

for more extensive details, maps, and last minute changes, please check the google group home page.  link at bottom.

______________

lunch time poll:

most likely mishap of this coming weekend:

a) reid and doc get in fight about how team should travel to airport, we all miss our flights, and no one goes to shanghai.

b) steve seabrook turns out to be a method actor, takes godzilla role too seriously, kills fourteen toddlers at the fields on saturday afternoon.

c) ryan mistakes joe for actual seven year old, several lawsuits follow.

d) without nick to put a damper on things, the beijing crew parties all through the night on friday, well past noon on saturday, and then passes out in the afternoon, waking up just in time to catch our flight home.  no one realizes that chris bohner was naked for 48 straight hours until we post the photos on facebook.

WEEKLY ITEM #2: The Teams

BIG BROTHER:

Andrea    Cheng
Candice    Lee
Charmian    Lam
Jennifer    Brown
Missy    Rock
Peggy    Wang
Sandy    Wang
Andrew    Shen
Brady    Meisenhelder
Chris    Boehner
Corey    Evans
Doc    Tobin
Jamie    Potter
Jason    Cox
Ken    Su
Patrick    Wheeler
Reid    Barrett
Uli    Burke

Xiao Di Di:

Clare    Sierawski
Gemma    C-Eyre
Lauren    Reed
Michelle    Tang
Speed    Yan Mei
Tracie    Carlsund
Zoe    Wood
Chip    Rountree
Donald    de Bona
Gabe    Monroe
Greg    May
Joe    DeVeto
Klaas    Stol
Mitch    Moxley
Orr    Shtuhl
Patrick    Li
Rob    Childs
Ryan    Perez
Steve    Seabrook

_________

now is the time in the  weekly email when betsy gives her weekly shout outs, and call outs.  remember, you want to get shouted out, but you don't want to get called out.

a shout out to sandy, who's arranged the flight and train tickets for everyone.  if you haven't paid her the money yet that you owe her, you should be ashamed of yourself.

a call out to donkey kong.  that damn ape keeps throwing barrels at me as i try to make it to the top of my building.

a shout out to nathan, who has awesome field facilities that he's willing to let us use.  what a great guy.  honestly, i've never met anyone who was so generous and kind, and so handsome at the same time.  i really hope he's on this email list because i want him to know how wonderful he is.  otherwise i'm just spinning my wheels here.

a call out to jason, who's been meaning to ask patrick about the big bus for over two weeks now.  someone needs to buy this guy a blackberry.

a shout out to tina, who was very unfortunately injured on sunday.  it looks like it's was just a sprained ankle.  let's hope she's back up and running again soon.

a call out to chip's barber, who was instructed to just take a little off the sides, and the next thing chip knew, he'd been turned into natalie portman in v for vendetta.

WEEKLY ITEM #3:  MAILBAG

every week, betsy gets a lot of emails inviting her out on dates, complementing her on her leadership skills, asking her ultimate related questions, and wanting to know who she is.  the mailbag is where she answers these questions.  as always, these are real letters from real readers.

Letter #1:

dear betsy,

as an amateur linguist, a word gourmet if you will, it's important to me that we properly observe all the norms and forms of speech and elocution.  i've noticed an appalling lack of uniformity when it cames to the pronunciation of the names of several of our new members.  can you help clarify?

thanks,
donald

dear donald,

i've noticed the same thing myself.  let me clear up the matter.  gemma is pronounced with a soft g sound, as in jump or julio, not with a hard j sound, like a gem.  diamonds are the hardest substance after all.  klass is a dutch name, not german, so it sounds more like the ass in glass, rather than the ass in class.  it's easy to get those confused.  and then there's andrea.  it should sound more like pangea rather than like laundry.

and while we are on the subject, the proper spelling of clare should be the third person singular of the word to be, rather than the plural 2nd person possessive.  it's spelled clare not clour.

xxxooo
betsy

Letter # 2:

dear betsy,

a lot of people have been writing me to complain about stuff.  i wish it would stop.  it's really annoying.  can you do something about this.

matt f.

dear matt,

sorry i can't help you.  all complaints should be sent to m. flynn at imaf...@gmail.com.  i'm sure he'll handle it for you in a timely fashion.

xxxooo
betsy

Letter #3:

dear betsy,

i'm pretty clear on plans 1 through 8, but can you explain how plan 9 works?

confused,
jenn brown

dear jb,

plan 9? ah, yes. plan 9 deals with the resurrection of the dead. long distance electrodes shot into the pineal and pituitary gland of the recently dead.

xxxooo
betsy

WEEKLY RUMOR THAT MUST BE TRUE: a lot of people have been wondering why missy is back in beijing.  a lot of people were also wondering where missy disappeared to in the middle of pick up on sunday.  well betsy saw missy in the van playing some back seat bingo with jamie potter, so i suppose that clears up two mysteries at once.

WEEKLY ITEM #4:  SOCIAL CALENDER

as was discussed at pick up sunday, wednesday through friday should be a thick haze of constant inebriation as we are all in training to win the party on saturday night.

and with regards to the party saturday night, i am now going to designate a series of party ringers.  you will be the people responsible for winning us the party.  you might want to organize.  it would be silly for all of you to be doing shots and bonging beers at once.  you'll never make it through the night.  one half of you should be doing shots while the other half of you are bonging beers, and then switch.  this will allow all but the weakest alcoholics to make it at least until sunrise.

here are some specifically assigned tasks:

jamie:  get drunk in about 30 minutes off of three shots, go to bed at 9.30 with wang qing, tell everyone he drank just as much as ryan but had to leave because wang qing can't hold her alcohol.

ryan: get unbelievably drunk after drinking 3/4 of a bottle of whisky by himself, babble inanely for a couple hours as he bums drinks off every gullible woman he can find, than proceed to prove that he really wasn't that drunk after all as he goes into the next phase of drunkeness that far exceeds the initial level.  at this point he will wonder off some where, lose his keys, climb through multiple windows, and pass out outside charmian's hotel room.

jason:  puke multiples times.  rally.  puke some more.

shen: see above

doc: try vainly to fit in, tell everyone how he can party just as well as anyone, bemoan the good old days when he used to play for hong kong, who really knew how to party, go home at 6 am bitter and dejected.

candice: get really drunk, deny that she is drunk, make out in some dimly lit corner with hot sauce, get called out by roger rainbow, lose her phone, but still make on time to dinner saturday night.

charmian:  drink half a glass of wine, talk loudly and emphatically for half an hour about ultimate, then go home and lock the door and windows to her hotel room securely before getting a solid twelve hours of beauty sleep.

gabe monroe:  gabe monroe will (the following paragraph has been censored because this is a family friendly email) and then swallow it all down whole to everyone's disgust and amazement.

if you were not specifically designated for the above tasks, you are one of the party pawns.  drink as much as you want, but just make sure at least one person from the other team drinks more than you, and that you don't go to bed before 4 am.

-----------------

WEEKLY QUIZ:  for you newbies, the weekly quiz is a game where betsy asks a few simple questions, and it's your job to provide the correct answers.  as always, googling is prohibited.  this week's winner will receive a free post tournament coconut oil massage courtesy of missy rock.

this week's question:  be the first person to explain correctly how 1+1 can sometimes equal 3.

please email your answers directly to betsy, at betsyb...@gmail.com

as for last week's quiz, jenn brown was the first to correctly answer "so much to say" by the dave matthews band.  jenn wins dinner and a movie with helen.  donald will attend your date as chaperone.
_______

which brings us finally to:

this weeks 11th edition rule:

this week, i want everyone to go to: http://www.upa.org/ultimate/rules/11th   and read the entire 11th edition.  you need to know the rules if you want to play the game.   i'm reading them right now.

and i want to remind everyone it's very important to us in beijing that we represent big brother well.  that means we expect everyone to play hard, play competitively, but most importantly, always play with spirit.  i know that we have a lot of great people in beijing right now, and i want to make sure we show off that spirit to everyone in asian ultimate.  believe me, they wish they had it as good as we've got it in beijing.

and finally, in order to get you pumped up, as if you weren't already, i leave you with the following moment of zen:

http://www.ultivillage.com/Ultimate-Frisbee-Videos/Clip-of-the-Day/UPA-College-07-Trailer.html

catch you on the field,
betsy
xxxooo

Matthew Brady Meisenhelder

Jun 12, 2007, 1:44:32 AM6/12/07
to beijing-...@googlegroups.com
  1. I don’t know how to say pangea, so that doesn’t help me.
  2. What rules are we playing with this weekend? Im assuming 11th UPA.

Thanks.

 Brady (pronounced like the bunch)

Tina Xue

Jun 12, 2007, 5:59:55 AM6/12/07
to beijing-...@googlegroups.com
Fortunately, i didn't break my bones, haha. I am much better. I think I can
practise throwing and catching when you come back from Shanghai.

Great thanks to Reid, Sandy, Brady, Peggy, Jason, Candice, Andrea, Jamie,
John, Doc, Tracie, Chip and ...big brothers, you helped me a lot. I
appreciate.

Good luck to your Shanghai trip and have fun.

I am watching you:)
Tina

与联机的朋友进行交流,请使用 MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com/cn