The Weekly Email By Betsy--8-13-07

betsy beijing

Aug 14, 2007, 1:26:07 AM8/14/07
to beijing-...@googlegroups.com
hey frisbee freaks,

the bad news is, if you haven't heard, beijing is not sending a team to singapore.  but fear not tournament goers.  shanghai has a special deal.  if you've slept with anyone on the shanghai team, then you are invited to join their team.  already, six people from beijing are going.  regular readers of the weekly email don't need me to list off who those players are.

WEEKLY ITEM #1:  The Weekly Schedule

Tuesday Aug 14, Practice, 7.30, Gu Lou.
it's exactly one year to the olympics.  you know what that means.  two weeks of clean air.  so take advantage of the opportunity, and come out for a pollutant free practice.

Thursday Aug 16, Pick Up, 7-9, Gu Lou.
aug 16 is international candy day.  that means that even if you have sworn not to eat candy for the rest of the calendar year, you are free to eat as much candy as you can up to and including the point when you throw up.  so bring candy to share (no gelatin please).  greg and zoe, it's expected you are bringing an even bigger bag of jelly bellies.

Sunday July 8, Summer League, BFE Village
Meet at DZM at 2:00.  Betsy checked out her horoscope, and there has been another shift of the planets, meaning it's that time of the season when we lose our fields for no apparent reason.  so this is your last chance to play for all the chinese fans that line the fences every week.  don't worry, jason is hard at work finding fields for summer league finals in two weeks.

______________

lunch time poll:  which of the following people had the best excuse for missing league on sunday.

a) donald debona, because he's finally decided to put his foot down.  no more frisbee until the bus meets at dong zhi men NEI rather than dong zhi men WAI.  you can sign his petition at www.25yearoldcurmudgeon.com

b) brady wang, because after the berating he received from peggy last week for throwing the swilly huck for the score that beat her team, he's not allowed out of the house again until he heads home to the states in september.  but for those who want to hang out with brady one last time, peggy and brady are hosting a dinner at their place this wednesday evening.  call char or ryan for details.

c) sandy wang (no relation), because just when she was getting on the chartered jet that was supposed to fly her from kashgar to beijing so she could play in league, she was struck down by a bad case of stomach poisoning (which i'm sure had nothing to do with karma).  she'll be happy to know that her team lost miserably without her.

d) chris and candice, because they are happily celebrating their nuptials on their secret honeymoon vacation in chris's mobile home as they road trip to all the civil war memorials in south carolina.

WEEKLY ITEM #2: Summer League Update

betsy doesn't quite understand how the cleanest air of the summer translated into the lowest turnout of the summer.  you people should be ashamed of yourselves.

don't miss this sunday, as it's the start of the league playoffs.  betsy doesn't know the exact standings, but she does know that team funky is the best looking team by far, and she's got her eye on a few of the young studs on their team.  no, not you jason, get over yourself.  just because we made out one time doesn't mean we are an item.

see you all this sunday.

if any one has any questions or comments, you can contact tracie at teece...@gmail.com.  email complaints directly to imaf...@gmail.com
_________

now is the time in the weekly email when betsy gives her weekly shout outs, and call outs.  remember, you want to get shouted out, but you don't want to get called out.

a shout out to reid, chip and happy rat, who played fantastically this sunday.  it just goes to show how fast you can improve if you come out regularly and play as hard as you can.

a call out to carey.  he's gone all summer and he shows up like nothing's wrong two months after the fact.  like we are just supposed to forget all about what happened the night he left.  you owe us all an apology carey, and we aren't going to forgive you until you can admit that.

a shout out to the beijing olympic committee.  it may only last for two weeks, but the blue skies and breathable air might convince betsy to stick it out in beijing for her 9th year.

a call out to everyone that lives in the cbd.  just because you are richer than the rest of us, doesn't mean you are better.

a shout out to tracy, for all the hard work she's done on league this year.  she's basically been doing everything herself, with a bit of help from some key people. take it from some one who's been here from the beginning.  this is the most successful league yet.

a call out to whomever it was, (and i'm not going to name names, i'll just say it's the person who's running league all by her--or him--self) who put nick, gabe, reid, ken, and duff all on the same team.  at least she (or he) didn't put all those players on her (or his) own team.  oh wait a minute...

WEEKLY ITEM #3:  MAILBAG

every week, betsy gets a lot of emails inviting her out on dates, complementing her on her leadership skills, asking her ultimate related questions, and wanting to know who she is.  the mailbag is where she answers these questions.  as always, these are real letters from real readers.

Letter #1:

dear betsy,

i've never actually slept with some one from shanghai, but i have made out with several of them.  do you think there is space for me on their team?

and don't feel jealous.  i may have made out, but i didn't enjoy it.

nick

dear nick,

betsy has the pictures from your university days to prove that you have in fact slept with someone from shanghai.  if you want to keep these pictures under wraps, talk to me after practice tonight.

and you are right.  it doesn't look like you were enjoying it at all.

betsy
xxxooo

Letter #2:

dear betsy,

let everyone know i'm coming back later this fall.  make sure to get my return to beijing party organized soon.  i want it to be bigger and pinker then ever.

zahlen

dear z,

sorry.  no can do.  beijing ultimate rules clearly state that no one player can have more than five coming or going away parties in their beijing ultimate lifetime.  why do you think pat mccarthy didn't come back after he moved to singapore.  and that also means that jim will have used up his last party when he comes back this fall, so he'll have no choice but to stay here permanently.  other people who are in danger of losing their party priviliges:

matt flynn, 1 remaining
jeffrey mandell, 2 remaining
jamie potter, 3 remaining
clark randt, 2 remaining (and he's never actually played frisbee)
nick monses, 5 remaining (but we are never likely to actually use any of them)

betsy
xxxooo

Letter #3:

dear betsy,

tell jf that she missed her chance this weekend.

moving on,
ryan p

dear ryan,

good tactic.  women like it when you pretend like their opportunity has passed.  it drives them crazy.  you should see jf come running back to you within the week.

betsy
xxxooo

WEEKLY RUMOR THAT MUST BE TRUE: even though barbie and chip rode into summer league on one bike, betsy knows that was just a desperate plea to get their names mentioned in the weekly rumor (which has apparently worked).  instead, betsy dug a little deeper to come up with some truly juicy dirt.  do you all remember that guy julio that used to come out for a while in may and june?  no one's heard from him in a while, and everyone figured he had just headed back to ecuador or venezuala or wherever he was from.  not true.  turns out that russell slipped him some traditional chinese medicine concoction, causing him to lose his memory.  he now works for russell's family as their own personal house slave, and goes by the name of xiao jules.  if you want to be part of the free julio liberation expedition, email chip rountree. pink che guevera shirts and orange jump suits will be provided for free.

WEEKLY ITEM #4:  Social Calender

candice has done a terrible job with her role as social coordinator.  she's an even worse committee member than doc or barbie.  (and come to think about it, those two never seem to around anymore, is this just a coincidence.  stay tuned next week for more details.)  so betsy is taking it upon herself to organize a fantabulous party this saturday night.  naturally it will be a costume party.  and it will be democratic.

what venue would you like betsy's party to be at:

1. the new old black sun
2. the old new black sun
3. zahlen's apt (jf has the key)
4. carey's apt (betsy has the code)
5. the stone boat in ritan gong yuan)

what theme would you like to have for the party:

1.  come dressed as your favorite figure from chinese history
2.  come dressed as your favorite member of beijing ultimate
3.  come dressed as zahlen. we have access to all his clothes after all
4.  come dressed as your favorite bear bone
5.  toga party

what form of entertainment would like to have for the party:

1. chip and luke on their guitar and banjo
2. chip and his mp3 player and jam box.
3. just chip.  completely nude.
4. donald and jamie in a break dance competition, barbie to be the judge.
5. jello wrestling, featuring ryan and ken in speedos, barbie to be the judge.

please have all your votes in by thursday afternoon.

-----------------

WEEKLY QUIZ:  for you newbies, the weekly quiz is a game where betsy provides a lyric, and it's your job to provide the song name and artist.  as always, googling is prohibited.  this week's winner will receive one month of free rides to every beijing ultimate event, courtesy of sandy (as long as she doesn't get too drunk).

this weeks genre: old school rap

Bass! How low can you go?
Death row what a brother knows
Once again, back is the incredible
The rhyme animal
The incredible D. Public Enemy number one
Five-O said "Freeze!" and I got numb
Can't I tell 'em that I really never had a gun?
But it's the wax that the Terminator X spun
Now they got me in a cell 'cause my records they sell
'Cause a brother like me said "Well
Farrakhan's a prophet and I think you ought to listen to
What he can say to you, what you ought to do"
Follow for now, power to the people say,
"Make a miracle. D, pump the lyrical"
Black is back, all in, we're gonna win
Check it out, yeah y'all, here we go again

as for last week's question, many people knew the correct answer was faith, by george michael.  but the first person to get their response to me was peggy, beating her husband brady by a mere fifteen minutes.  remember kids, gchat is faster than gmail.  peggy, you win a free dinner at julia's courtesy of julia.
__________

which brings us finally to your moment of zen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyG9C6B5JPU

catch you on the field,
betsy
xxxooo

Matthew Brady Meisenhelder

Aug 14, 2007, 1:34:55 PM8/14/07
to beijing-...@googlegroups.com

Bring the noise – Public Enemy (with anthrax if you like your rap thrashy)

Sadly I had to sell my two tickets to see them with every other phenomenal band ever this past weekend in san bernadino and now its rumored they will be here while I am back in the states. China sucks.