sasl authentication

Adam Wiggins

Mar 20, 2010, 3:56:57 PM3/20/10
to beansta...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I started playing with Beanstalk lately and I'm impressed. Its
lightweight server process, minimalist protocol, and narrow focus on
job queueing seem to make it a strong contender against other queueing
systems I've used (most notably AMQP/RabbitMQ, Kestrel, Resque, and
Delayed Job).

My question is about whether anyone has considered (or would consider)
a patch to add optional SASL authentication to beanstalkd. This would
make it more suitable for running in cloud environments like Amazon
EC2, where dynamic IP addresses, elastic server provisioning (e.g.
spin up and spin down of server instances can happen on the fly), and
multitenancy make IP-based authentication difficult or impossible to
use.

For example, memcached recently added SASL support for precisely this reason:

http://blog.northscale.com/northscale-blog/2009/11/sasl-memcached-now-available.html
http://github.com/memcached/memcached/commit/f1307c4d9cadb94076a99cc2f88a00f7e0b4161f

Adam

Keith Rarick

Mar 20, 2010, 10:17:13 PM3/20/10
On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Adam Wiggins <ad...@heroku.com> wrote:
> My question is about whether anyone has considered (or would consider)
> a patch to add optional SASL authentication to beanstalkd.

I would gladly accept a well-written patch to add SASL authentication.
I probably won't have time to work on this feature myself, but I can
answer questions and offer guidance and do code review.

If you (or anyone else) wants to work on this, then by all means go
for it. I also suggest discussing your design and implementation here
before you start writing code.

kr