OpenEmbedded beginner questions and S-VIDEO output (again)

Stefan Buschmann

Dec 22, 2008, 10:45:50 AM12/22/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

I'm new to the BeagleBoard and OpenEmbedded and still try to understand
how things work. I'm using OpenEmbedded and the angstrom distribution on
the BeagleBoard.

So far I have checked out the oe git-repository and created a
configuration file for the BeagleBoard, everything worked well. Then I
built the target 'console-image' ('beagleboard-demo-image' will be next)
and got a working linux image. Everything great so far :-)

Now for the beginner questions ...

1. How do I control which kernel is used? (or 'understanding the oe
structure')

First of all, I'm not sure how to set the used kernel. I couldn't find
any hint in the build-files about which kernel is used, or a dependency
to it, e.g. in packages/images/beagleboard-demo-image.bb, or
packages/tasks/... etc. Where do I find this info and how would I go
about changing it, when I want to use another kernel instead?

2. How to apply a kernel patch?

How exactly can I apply a kernel patch? Is it enough to copy a
.patch-file into the appropriate kernel directory, e.g.
'openembedded/packages/linux/linux-omap2-git', and do I have to edit the
corresponding .bb file for that kernel and add the patch to it? I've
tried both but didn't succeed ...

3. Getting S-VIDEO to work

I know this topic has already been discussed some time ago, but I'm a
bit lost on how to apply the various solutions, so let me ask again. I
understand that the current omap-kernel doesn't have the S-VIDEO support
yet. But there are some patches out there to enable it (although those
are not recommended and a new driver is being developed). So, what would
be the recommended way to enable S-VIDEO support with a current kernel,
until the new driver is working? And if it is to use a new kernel
(2.6.28) - what would be the best way to add that kernel, as it doesn't
seem to be in the repository yet?

Thanks,

Stefan

Philip Balister

Dec 22, 2008, 11:19:03 AM12/22/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Stefan Buschmann <s_bus...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm new to the BeagleBoard and OpenEmbedded and still try to understand
> how things work. I'm using OpenEmbedded and the angstrom distribution on
> the BeagleBoard.
>
> So far I have checked out the oe git-repository and created a
> configuration file for the BeagleBoard, everything worked well. Then I
> built the target 'console-image' ('beagleboard-demo-image' will be next)
> and got a working linux image. Everything great so far :-)
>
> Now for the beginner questions ...
>
> 1. How do I control which kernel is used? (or 'understanding the oe
> structure')
>
> First of all, I'm not sure how to set the used kernel. I couldn't find
> any hint in the build-files about which kernel is used, or a dependency
> to it, e.g. in packages/images/beagleboard-demo-image.bb, or
> packages/tasks/... etc. Where do I find this info and how would I go
> about changing it, when I want to use another kernel instead?

Look at conf/machine/beagleboard.conf

> 2. How to apply a kernel patch?
>
> How exactly can I apply a kernel patch? Is it enough to copy a
> .patch-file into the appropriate kernel directory, e.g.
> 'openembedded/packages/linux/linux-omap2-git', and do I have to edit the
> corresponding .bb file for that kernel and add the patch to it? I've
> tried both but didn't succeed ...

Look at packages/linux/linux-omap_git.bb (Assuming beagleboard.conf is
using linux-omap, which I think it is at the moment)

> 3. Getting S-VIDEO to work
>
> I know this topic has already been discussed some time ago, but I'm a
> bit lost on how to apply the various solutions, so let me ask again. I
> understand that the current omap-kernel doesn't have the S-VIDEO support
> yet. But there are some patches out there to enable it (although those
> are not recommended and a new driver is being developed). So, what would
> be the recommended way to enable S-VIDEO support with a current kernel,
> until the new driver is working? And if it is to use a new kernel
> (2.6.28) - what would be the best way to add that kernel, as it doesn't
> seem to be in the repository yet?

Sorry, I do not know this one.

Philip

Robert Kuhn

Dec 22, 2008, 11:43:14 AM12/22/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
2008/12/22 Stefan Buschmann <s_bus...@gmx.de>:

> 3. Getting S-VIDEO to work
>
> I know this topic has already been discussed some time ago, but I'm a
> bit lost on how to apply the various solutions, so let me ask again. I
> understand that the current omap-kernel doesn't have the S-VIDEO support

A new system called DSS2 will be integrated in linux-omap whcih
support s-video. Until that you can use the "oe"-kernel which has the
dss2-patches.

Then for having different outputs on dvi and s-video you could use this
script to enable s-video (from Tomba, the father of DSS2):

tvline=`cat /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/displays |grep tv`
w=`echo $tvline | cut -d " " -f 2 | cut -d ":" -f 2`
h=`echo $tvline | cut -d " " -f 3 | cut -d ":" -f 2`

echo "vid1 t:none" > /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/overlays
fbset -fb /dev/fb1 -xres $w -vxres $w -yres $h -vyres $h
echo "vid1 t:tv w:$w h:$h e:1" > /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/overlays
echo "tv e:1" > /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/displays

What it does is:
> 1. disconnect vid1 overlay, so that we can change it freely
> 2. set the framebuffer fb1 to correct size (it is already connected to
> vid1, by default, so we don't need to connect it)
> 3. set vid1 output to tv overlay manager, and set output size to tv's
> size
> 4. enable tv display

Robert

kapare

Jan 9, 2009, 12:46:23 PM1/9/09
to Beagle Board
> Until that you can use the "oe"-kernel which has the dss2-patches.

Hi I'm new with beagleboard and I'm wondering how to compile the
kernel that include DSS2 patch?

I have follow this but and it is working...
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardAndOpenEmbeddedGit

Now I need to understand why I don't see "/sys/devices/platform/omapfb/
displays" and what should I change to have it with my current setup???

Extra::::
DSS2 = Digital Subscriber Signaling #2 ? -> I have check on mail-
archive about history of DSS2 but have not figure out a lot from
that.... I just now that
Koen have help and that Tomi Valkeinen support a git with linux-omap +
DSS2 patch
www.bat.org/~tomba/git/linux-omap-dss.git/

Do you know where can I get more information about that DSS2 for a
newbies

Regards

kap

On Dec 22 2008, 11:43 am, "Robert Kuhn" <rowka...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

Hu Liang

Jan 14, 2009, 9:32:07 PM1/14/09
to Beagle Board
Hi kapare,

i met the same question, too.
you just need to modify the config file which you can get from here:
http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/browse_thread/thread/2b907a8641c12cdb/cb0e46b533fce29f?lnk=gst&q=S-Video#cb0e46b533fce29f
Pay attention to the last message from Tomi Valkeinen.

Best Regards!
Hu Liang.

On 1月10日, 午前2:46, kapare <kevyn.alexandre.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Until that you can use the "oe"-kernel which has the dss2-patches.
>
> Hi I'm new with beagleboard and I'm wondering how to compile the
> kernel that include DSS2 patch?
>
> I have follow this but and it is working...http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardAndOpenEmbeddedGit
>
> Now I need to understand why I don't see "/sys/devices/platform/omapfb/displays" and what should I change to have it with my current setup???
> > echo "vid1 t:tvw:$w h:$h e:1" > /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/overlays
> > echo "tve:1" > /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/displays
>
> > What it does is:
>
> > > 1. disconnect vid1 overlay, so that we can change it freely
> > > 2. set the framebuffer fb1 to correct size (it is already connected to
> > > vid1, by default, so we don't need to connect it)
> > > 3. set vid1 output totvoverlay manager, and set output size totv's
> > > size
> > > 4. enabletvdisplay
>
> > Robert- 引用テキストを表示しない -
>
> - 引用テキストを表示 -

kapare

Jan 18, 2009, 9:14:28 AM1/18/09
to Beagle Board
Hehehe :)

Thx a lot!

I am reading all this right now and I will try it!

Best Regards

kap