Ethernet over USB connectivity

SVedurumudi

Feb 19, 2010, 9:05:08 PM2/19/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Does any distro support usbnet (Ethernet using USB for the PHY
layer)? The Linux kernel does support it, I know. I ran the Android
build today but it doesn't seem to use usbnet. Curious if Angstrom
supports it.

Regards,
Sri

Hieu Le Trung

Feb 20, 2010, 12:07:37 AM2/20/10
to Beagle Board
Hi,

Angstrom has usbnet supported. You can enable by configuring the
kernel with following options
Device Driver
* USB Support [y]
* Inventra Highspeed Dual Role Controller (TI, ADI, ...) [y]
* Driver Mode (Both host and peripheral: USB OTG (On The Go)
Device
* USB Gadget Support [y]
* USB Gadget Drivers (Ethernet Gadget (With CDC Ethernet
Support)) [y]
* RNDIS Support [y]

Regards,
-Hieu

SVedurumudi

Mar 2, 2010, 11:14:33 PM3/2/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, Hieu Le Trung
Hieu,
I have setup the OE environment following Koens write-up and also
created the images successfully, but I am unable to locate where I need
to make these changes. The defconfig file inside
OE/openembedded/recipes/linux/linux-2.6.29/tosa (which I believe is the
config file for the kernel since the boot messages show 2.6.29 as the
kernel in use), already seems to enable USBNet and RNDIS as evident from
the following lines. Also, I could not find any entry related to
Inventra. Please help me locate the exact file that needs to be changed.

#USB Network Adapters
CONFIG_USB_USBNET=m

Regards,
Sri.

Hieu Le Trung

Mar 3, 2010, 10:11:14 AM3/3/10
to SVedurumudi, beagl...@googlegroups.com
Sri,

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 20:14 -0800, SVedurumudi wrote:
> Hieu,
> I have setup the OE environment following Koens write-up and also
> created the images successfully, but I am unable to locate where I need
> to make these changes. The defconfig file inside
> OE/openembedded/recipes/linux/linux-2.6.29/tosa (which I believe is the
> config file for the kernel since the boot messages show 2.6.29 as the
> kernel in use), already seems to enable USBNet and RNDIS as evident from
> the following lines. Also, I could not find any entry related to
> Inventra. Please help me locate the exact file that needs to be changed.
>
> #USB Network Adapters
> CONFIG_USB_USBNET=m

You can change the .config file located at
OE/openembedded/recipes/linux/linux-2.6.29/

> On 2/19/2010 9:07 PM, Hieu Le Trung wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Feb 20, 9:05 am, SVedurumudi<svedurum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Does any distro support usbnet (Ethernet using USB for the PHY
> >> layer)? The Linux kernel does support it, I know. I ran the Android
> >> build today but it doesn't seem to use usbnet. Curious if Angstrom
> >> supports it.
> >>
> > Angstrom has usbnet supported. You can enable by configuring the
> > kernel with following options
> > Device Driver
> > * USB Support [y]
> > * Inventra Highspeed Dual Role Controller (TI, ADI, ...) [y]
> > * Driver Mode (Both host and peripheral: USB OTG (On The Go)
> > Device
> > * USB Gadget Support [y]
> > * USB Gadget Drivers (Ethernet Gadget (With CDC Ethernet
> > Support)) [y]
> > * RNDIS Support [y]
> >
> > Regards,
> > -Hieu

Regards,
-Hieu

Marcus Fazzi (Anunakin)

Mar 3, 2010, 11:28:46 AM3/3/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I have two USB Ethernet adapters and that not accepting dhcp.. if I use fixed IP that works, both have DAVICOM chipset

2010/3/3 Hieu Le Trung <hieul...@gmail.com>

Marcus Fazzi
オープンソースコード いきかた!
http://anunakin.blogspot.com/
http://www.vivaphp.net

SV

Mar 3, 2010, 11:57:33 AM3/3/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Marcus,
Did you try running dhclient (with sudo)?
And, are you sure your DHCP server works?

Regards,
Sri

>> beagleboard...@googlegroups.com<beagleboard%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

>> .
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard?hl=en.
>>

> --
> Marcus Fazzi
> オープンソースコード いきかた!
> http://anunakin.blogspot.com/
> http://www.vivaphp.net
>
> --

Sent from my mobile device

Adilson Oliveira

Mar 3, 2010, 12:10:15 PM3/3/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Marcus Fazzi (Anunakin)

Mar 3, 2010, 12:28:26 PM3/3/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Not working on PC too, I'm using ubuntu 9.10 ob BB and PC

SVedurumudi

Mar 3, 2010, 12:51:29 PM3/3/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, Marcus Fazzi (Anunakin)
Ok, if they are not working on PC, then maybe I'd first suspect the DHCP server. Is it really enabled to give out dynamic IPs? If that is set correctly, I'd suspect my hardware.

Regards,
Sri

Adilson Oliveira

Mar 3, 2010, 12:35:36 PM3/3/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

SVedurumudi

Mar 3, 2010, 6:52:22 PM3/3/10
to Hieu Le Trung, beagl...@googlegroups.com
Tried looking there, but couldn't find the .config file (infact, I
couldn't find it anywhere in the ${OETREE}and its subdirectories) . The
only thing under the linux-2.6.29/ folder is the tosa folder which
contains two patch files and one defconfig file.
Anywhere else?

Regards,
Sri.

SVedurumudi

Mar 3, 2010, 7:20:53 PM3/3/10
to Gary Thomas, beagl...@googlegroups.com, Hieu Le Trung
I thought as much. Thank you for the clarification.
Now, inside this defconfig, I see that USBNet is configured to be a
module rather than a built-in driver. Is that why USBNet does not come
up by default, in which case I have two questions:
1. How do I load the module (the command 'ifconfig usb0 up' does not
seem to load it)
2. I am assuming bitbake will recompile only the kernel (to include the
module) and leave the others untouched (so my compile time is small).
Please confirm.

Regards,
Sri.

CONFIG_USB_USBNET=m

On 3/3/2010 4:00 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:

> On 03/03/2010 04:52 PM, SVedurumudi wrote:
>> Tried looking there, but couldn't find the .config file (infact, I
>> couldn't find it anywhere in the ${OETREE}and its subdirectories) .
>> The only thing under the linux-2.6.29/ folder
>> is the tosa folder which contains two patch files and one defconfig
>> file.
>

> defconfig is what you're looking for. The recipe installs it as
> '.config'
> before building.

Gary Thomas

Mar 3, 2010, 7:00:11 PM3/3/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, SVedurumudi, Hieu Le Trung
On 03/03/2010 04:52 PM, SVedurumudi wrote:
> Tried looking there, but couldn't find the .config file (infact, I couldn't find it anywhere in the ${OETREE}and its subdirectories) . The only thing under the linux-2.6.29/ folder
> is the tosa folder which contains two patch files and one defconfig file.

defconfig is what you're looking for. The recipe installs it as '.config'
before building.

> Anywhere else?

Gary Thomas | Consulting for the
MLB Associates | Embedded world

SVedurumudi

Mar 4, 2010, 2:35:09 AM3/4/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Today, I modified the defconfig file inside my
openembedded/recipe/linux/linux-2.6.29/tosa/ folder and issued the commands:
bitbake base-image
bitbake console-image x11-image

The process took just about 5-10 minutes and I'm sure the kernel did not
get re-compiled. How do I get this going?

Regards,
Sri.

Maxim Podbereznyi

Mar 4, 2010, 5:33:26 AM3/4/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry man, but I just want to know you compile Angstrom for Beagleboard or Tosa? Because it is absolutely different!

If you want to compile kernel for Beagleboard you issue the command:
bitbake linux-omap

recompile:
bitbake -c rebuild linux-omap

delete kernel:
bitbake -c clean linux-omap

no Tosa at all!

Koen Kooi

Mar 4, 2010, 5:45:42 AM3/4/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 4 mrt 2010, om 11:33 heeft Maxim Podbereznyi het volgende geschreven:

> I'm sorry man, but I just want to know you compile Angstrom for Beagleboard or Tosa? Because it is absolutely different!
>
> If you want to compile kernel for Beagleboard you issue the command:
> bitbake linux-omap
>
> recompile:
> bitbake -c rebuild linux-omap

not linux-omap, but virtual/kernel

> delete kernel:
> bitbake -c clean linux-omap

not linux-omap, but virtual/kernel

vritual/kernel will always point to the correct kernel. And if you build it it will say at the start which files it's going to use so you can use that to find the defconfig.

regards,

Koen

Maxim Podbereznyi

Mar 4, 2010, 5:57:26 AM3/4/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Koen,

What is incorrect with linux-omap? All files are listed in the respective bb file, including the defconfig. Aren't both these methods produce the same result?

Koen Kooi

Mar 4, 2010, 6:16:29 AM3/4/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 4 mrt 2010, om 11:57 heeft Maxim Podbereznyi het volgende geschreven:

> Koen,
>
> What is incorrect with linux-omap? All files are listed in the respective bb file, including the defconfig. Aren't both these methods produce the same result?

They might, but the new 2.6.32 kernel in the feeds and on the website isn't built from linux-omap, so your instructions are wrong for that. If you build a kernel, use virtual/kernel then you can never go wrong.

SVedurumudi

Mar 4, 2010, 4:05:10 PM3/4/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, Hieu Le Trung
Hieu,
Here is the defconfig file being used http://pastebin.com/P1mCsZ3t
But, I dont see the Inventra Highspeed Dual Role Controller in it.
Also, USBNet and RNDIS are enabled.

Still, I don't seen to get the USBNet functionality when I connect my
host to the BB. Any help here?

Regards,
Sri.