Bricked board

Dirk Behme

Jul 4, 2008, 7:00:39 AM7/4/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

While playing with NAND I bricked my board :(

In uboot, I did something like

loadb 80200000
<send xloader>
nand unlock
nand erase 0 80000
nand write 80200000 0 80000

but something went wrong. Seems that now bootrom detects something in
NAND flash and then crashes.

Result is that with User button _not_ pressed I don't get anything any
more, no ..40T.. nothing.

Okay, then _pressing_ the user button should bring me back to U-Boot
from SDCard. But this results in

-- cut --
...40T......

Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.41
Starting on with MMC
Reading boot sector

717948 Bytes Read from MMC
Starting OS Bootloader from MMC...

U-Boot 1.1.4 (Apr 2 2008 - 13:42:13)

OMAP3430-GP rev 2, CPU-OPP2 L3-133MHz
TI 3430Beagle 2.0 Version + mDDR (Boot ONND)
DRAM: 128 MB
Flash: 0 kB
NAND:NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0x2c, Chip ID: 0x01 (-ge AND 128MiB
3,3V 8-bit)
NAND bus width 16 instead 8 bit
0 MiB

<nothing any more>
-- cut --

Any idea? I think I need at least a working Uboot prompt to be able to
erase trash in NAND flash?

Above is TI's uboot from code.google.com, but same happens with
Steve's git uboot.

Thanks

Dirk

Jason Kridner

Jul 4, 2008, 8:21:39 AM7/4/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, Khasim Syed Mohammed
My recollection, and I hope Khasim will flame me if I'm wrong, is that
there was a bug in MLO that could cause boot failures from MMC/SD when
there were some wrong contents in the NAND flash. I believe there is
a version that fixes this. I used to have this problem quite
frequently when first trying out flash.

The shorter-term work-around is to boot via the serial port. Once you
have loaded a valid u-boot, you can erase the flash and get back to
normal operation.