sgx module build problem

PaulG

Feb 9, 2009, 6:17:43 PM2/9/09
to Beagle Board
Could someone explain to me how i actually build the sgx modules?

I see there is a powervr-drivers in the packages directory and there
is a comment in the bb file about placing the
OMAP35x_Graphics_SDK_setuplinux_3_00_00_05.bin in this directory. i
have this file and have done this.

running 'bitbake omap3-sgx-modules_1.3.13.1397' i get 'ERROR: Nothing
PROVIDES 'omap3-sgx-modules_1.3.13.1397'

i have tried adding the omap3-sgx-modules_1.3.13.1397 to the console-
image.bb so that it would be built as part of the console-image and it
still complained.

I'm sure this is something obvious - but I've failed to find any steps
to follow on the forums on what I need to do.

any help appreciated.

thanks

Koen Kooi

Feb 10, 2009, 4:04:01 AM2/10/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 10 feb 2009, om 00:17 heeft PaulG het volgende geschreven:

> Could someone explain to me how i actually build the sgx modules?
>
> I see there is a powervr-drivers in the packages directory and there
> is a comment in the bb file about placing the
> OMAP35x_Graphics_SDK_setuplinux_3_00_00_05.bin in this directory. i
> have this file and have done this.
>
> running 'bitbake omap3-sgx-modules_1.3.13.1397' i get 'ERROR: Nothing
> PROVIDES 'omap3-sgx-modules_1.3.13.1397'

'bitbake <foo>' needs a provider (e.g. omap3-sgx-modules or omap3-sgx-
modules-1.3.13.1397 or virtual/kernel), 'bitbake -b <foo>' however
takes a file, like 'omap3-sgx-modules_1.3.13.1397'

If you want to build the drivers, do 'bitbake libgles-omap3' and will
build the kernel drivers and package userspace. Please note that the .
05 release doesn't work with the 1.3.13.1397 kernel drivers.

regards,

Koen

> i have tried adding the omap3-sgx-modules_1.3.13.1397 to the console-
> image.bb so that it would be built as part of the console-image and it
> still complained.
>
> I'm sure this is something obvious - but I've failed to find any steps
> to follow on the forums on what I need to do.
>
> any help appreciated.
>
> thanks

PGP.sig

PaulG

Feb 10, 2009, 2:08:37 PM2/10/09
to Beagle Board
Hi Koen,

I've built the ipk using 'bitbake -b libgles-omap3_3.00.00.5' as you
suggest just to prove it builds - even though it does not work with
the drivers.
I have now got the 06 release that should work with the 1.3.13.1397
drivers but there is no .bb for this release. Will the 05.bb work with
it if I rename the .bin file - or are you planning on adding a 06.bb?

Thanks,

Paul

On Feb 10, 9:04 am, Koen Kooi <k...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> Op 10 feb 2009, om 00:17 heeft PaulG het volgende geschreven:
>

> > Could someone explain to me how i actually build the sgx modules?
>
> > I see there is a powervr-drivers in the packages directory and there
> > is a comment in the bb file about placing the
> > OMAP35x_Graphics_SDK_setuplinux_3_00_00_05.bin in this directory. i
> > have this file and have done this.
>
> > running 'bitbake omap3-sgx-modules_1.3.13.1397'  i get 'ERROR: Nothing
> > PROVIDES 'omap3-sgx-modules_1.3.13.1397'
>
> 'bitbake <foo>' needs a provider (e.g. omap3-sgx-modules or omap3-sgx-
> modules-1.3.13.1397 or virtual/kernel), 'bitbake -b <foo>' however
> takes a file, like 'omap3-sgx-modules_1.3.13.1397'
>
> If you want to build the drivers, do 'bitbake libgles-omap3' and will
> build the kernel drivers and package userspace. Please note that the .
> 05 release doesn't work with the 1.3.13.1397 kernel drivers.
>
> regards,
>
> Koen
>
> > i have tried adding the omap3-sgx-modules_1.3.13.1397 to the console-
> > image.bb so that it would be built as part of the console-image and it
> > still complained.
>
> > I'm sure this is something obvious - but I've failed to find any steps
> > to follow on the forums on what I need to do.
>
> > any help appreciated.
>
> > thanks
> > >

>  PGP.sig
> < 1KViewDownload

Koen Kooi

Feb 10, 2009, 2:35:55 PM2/10/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 10 feb 2009, om 20:08 heeft PaulG het volgende geschreven:

> Hi Koen,
>
> I've built the ipk using 'bitbake -b libgles-omap3_3.00.00.5' as you
> suggest just to prove it builds - even though it does not work with
> the drivers.
> I have now got the 06 release that should work with the 1.3.13.1397
> drivers but there is no .bb for this release. Will the 05.bb work with
> it if I rename the .bin file - or are you planning on adding a 06.bb?

I added it last week: http://cgit.openembedded.net/cgit.cgi?url=openembedded/commit/&id=e7207e93827fed33734040382e694c330afb2d47

regards,

Koen

PGP.sig

Yi Ge

Feb 10, 2009, 3:05:36 PM2/10/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Does anybody can send me SGX driver and libs? It is very weird that I sent email gamein...@ti.com.
Not reply at all.
 Regards,
Yi

PaulG

Feb 10, 2009, 6:47:25 PM2/10/09
to Beagle Board

Thanks for pointing this out. For some reason git was not updating my
tree. All working again.
I've now built the .06 ipk, installed everything, including the
additional requirements of libx11-6, libxau6, libdmcp6 ipks. Fingers
crossed everything is now in a good state.

Paul
> I added it last week:http://cgit.openembedded.net/cgit.cgi?url=openembedded/commit/&id=e72...
>
> regards,
>
> Koen
>
>  PGP.sig
> < 1KViewDownload

Geof Cohler

Feb 11, 2009, 6:52:04 AM2/11/09
to Beagle Board
Hi,

It seems there are two barriers to getting the SGX stuff operational:

1. Getting the drivers from TI. There are plenty of posts on this
subject.
2. Once one has them, how do they install?

I have accomplished #1, but need help with #2.

It would be great when you get through this process if you could post
a cookbook on how to install the .06 drivers. I am assuming that
since they are in .ipk form that I can do a sequence of opkg installs
to get it all running. But I am too much of a n00b. Some help
charting the course would be very helpful.

Thanks very much.

Best regards,
Geof

Yi Ge

Feb 11, 2009, 6:59:26 AM2/11/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

congrat!
Could you tell me the secret how you get the drivers from TI?
:-)
 Regards,
Yi

Op 11 feb 2009, om 12:52 heeft Geof Cohler het volgende geschreven:

> Hi,
>
> It seems there are two barriers to getting the SGX stuff operational:
>
> 1. Getting the drivers from TI. There are plenty of posts on this
> subject.
> 2. Once one has them, how do they install?
>
> I have accomplished #1, but need help with #2.
>
> It would be great when you get through this process if you could post
> a cookbook on how to install the .06 drivers. I am assuming that
> since they are in .ipk form that I can do a sequence of opkg installs
> to get it all running. But I am too much of a n00b. Some help
> charting the course would be very helpful.

opkg install /path/to/libgles-omap3_3.00.00.06-r5.1_armv7a.ipk

After that things like clutter and ogre are 'unlocked' :)

regards,

Koen

PGP.sig

Geof Cohler

Feb 11, 2009, 8:24:38 AM2/11/09
to Beagle Board
Hi,

Looks like I need something else that I'm missing. I thought that the
PVR kernel drivers were included now.

root@beagleboard:~/SGX_Packages# opkg install ./libgles-
omap3_3.00.00.06-r0.1_be
agleboard.ipk
Installing libgles-omap3 (3.00.00.06-r0.1) to root...
libgles-omap3: unsatisfied recommendation for libgles-omap3-tests
Configuring libgles-omap3
Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/pvr-init.
ERROR: Module bc_example does not exist in /proc/modules
ERROR: Module omaplfb does not exist in /proc/modules
ERROR: Module pvrsrvkm does not exist in /proc/modules
FATAL: Module bc_example not found.
FATAL: Error inserting omaplfb (/lib/modules/2.6.28-omap1/kernel/
drivers/gpu/pvr/omaplfb.ko): Invalid module format

Thanks.
Geof
>  PGP.sig
> < 1KViewDownload

Koen Kooi

Feb 11, 2009, 8:35:37 AM2/11/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 11 feb 2009, om 14:24 heeft Geof Cohler het volgende geschreven:

> Hi,
>

> Looks like I need something else that I'm missing. I thought that the
> PVR kernel drivers were included now.
>
> root@beagleboard:~/SGX_Packages# opkg install ./libgles-
> omap3_3.00.00.06-r0.1_be
> agleboard.ipk
> Installing libgles-omap3 (3.00.00.06-r0.1) to root...

libgles ..06 is up to r5.1 now and pull in the omap3-sgx-modules
package from the angstrom feeds automatically.

regards,

Koen

PGP.sig

PaulG

Feb 11, 2009, 3:46:50 PM2/11/09
to Beagle Board

I've got the SDK SGX demo's running. I notice though that there are
some issues. I am running with a 720p60-16 resolution and at this
resoloution there is a noticeable tearing of the screen exactly down
the middle. Some of the demo's are also stuttering as if there is a
bandwidth issue.

I've not tried it at a lower resolution yet, so problem could be
general.

The 'Particles' demo shows this problem nicely - and in fact really
slows down badly. I think the demo runs slower and slower the longer
it remains running. Its probably not a bandwidth issue then, but
something else.

At least it works though!!

Paul
>  PGP.sig
> < 1KViewDownload

Geof Cohler

Feb 12, 2009, 2:29:45 PM2/12/09
to Beagle Board
Hi,

I'm seeing the same thing re: vertical discontinuity down the center
of the screen. I'm running 1024x768MR-16@60.

Plus, I have another demo that is running significantly slower (4x or
so) than it does with the TI kernel.

Still playing around though.

Geof

Koen Kooi

Feb 12, 2009, 2:33:07 PM2/12/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 12 feb 2009, om 20:29 heeft Geof Cohler het volgende geschreven:

> Hi,
>

> I'm seeing the same thing re: vertical discontinuity down the center
> of the screen. I'm running 1024x768MR-16@60.
>
> Plus, I have another demo that is running significantly slower (4x or
> so) than it does with the TI kernel.

There's a theory that with 2.6.28 the sgx only runs at halfspeed due
to changes in the kernel clock framework. I haven't bothered spending
time on it since clock handling is being redone. If someone wants to
look into this great, but it might be better to wait till Paul and
Russel finish getting the patches upstream (probably 2.6.30).

regards,

Koen

PGP.sig

TK, Pratheesh Gangadhar

Feb 13, 2009, 5:41:23 AM2/13/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, Hulamani, Girish Bisto

We just checked this by reading back CM_CLKSEL_SGX (0x48004b40) register after loading PVR modules. ./devmem2 0x48004b40 returns 2.

So this means SGX FCLK = 332/6 = 55 MHz. This is definitely a bug in clock framework.

./devmem2 0x48004b40 w 0 forces SGX FCLK to 110 MHz. You can notice demo fps approximately doubling

Still vertical discontinuity is present in the output at XGA resolution (1024x768). Demos run well with 640x480MR-16@60 (close to 46 fps for Samurai demo).

Regards,
Pratheesh

Jason Kridner

Feb 13, 2009, 8:22:39 AM2/13/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, Hulamani, Girish Bisto
The code, with the same issues mentioned here and below, is now
available for download at [1]. Look for
"OMAP35x_Graphics_SDK_setuplinux_3_00_00_06.bin". Do not use the .ipk
files within this package.

General summary of status in this release (3.00.00.06):
* Now working with the 2.6.28 Angstrom kernel built with OpenEmbedded.
* Clocking problem exists as described above where the SGX is running
at 1/2 speed.
* The "flipbuffer" is not used, so performance is degraded and there
are tearing artifacts.
* There aren't .ipk files that can be used directly, instead you must
run OE to create the libgles-omap3_3.00.00.06-r5.1_armv7a.ipk for you.
* Some demos have truncated binaries.

[1] https://www-a.ti.com/downloads/sds_support/targetcontent/dvsdk/oslinux_dvsdk/v3_00_3530/index.html

Geof Cohler

Feb 13, 2009, 8:37:33 AM2/13/09
to Beagle Board
How does one do a "./devmem2"? I don't find it on my build.

Thanks very much for the help.

Best regards,
Geof

On Feb 13, 5:41 am, "TK, Pratheesh Gangadhar" <prathe...@ti.com>

Koen Kooi

Feb 13, 2009, 8:46:05 AM2/13/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 13 feb 2009, om 14:37 heeft Geof Cohler het volgende geschreven:

> How does one do a "./devmem2"? I don't find it on my build.

opkg install devmem2

regards,

Koen

PGP.sig

TK, Pratheesh Gangadhar

Feb 13, 2009, 8:46:37 AM2/13/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

free-electrons.com/pub/mirror/devmem2.c

arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -o devmem2 devmem2.c

Regards,
Pratheesh

djibi2

Mar 2, 2009, 8:14:27 PM3/2/09
to Beagle Board
I have the same problem. I followed all of the instructions on the
pages indicated above and
am missing the pvrsrvkm module ( and the others listed above). I
don't understand what your comment means. How do I fix this?
>  PGP.sig
> < 1KViewDownload

Geof Cohler

Mar 3, 2009, 7:34:50 AM3/3/09
to Beagle Board

djibi2

Mar 3, 2009, 9:13:58 AM3/3/09
to Beagle Board
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I started from scratch following
the steps on the link that you indicated, including the fresh checkout
and build of openembedded system as described in the prerequisites
section.
I am receiving these messages:
ERROR: Module omaplfb does not exist in /proc/modules
ERROR: Module pvrsrvkm does not exist in /proc/modules

and also seeing this:
'dmesg | grep PVR'. and I see 'PVRSRV_PIXEL_FORMAT_RGB888'.
even after changing the parameters in u-boot.

Any suggesstions?

Geof Cohler

Mar 4, 2009, 6:19:21 AM3/4/09
to Beagle Board
Hi,

I too get the first two ERROR messages (omaplfb and pvrsrvkm
missing). I'm not sure what they mean, but they don't seem to stop it
from working (in the way that it does work).

The third message says that your monitor is configured in 24-bit mode
(888). And the drivers don't work at all in 24-bit mode. You need to
be in 16-bit mode (565).

The cure for that is to modify your bootargs' videomode. So turn on
the beagle, hit a key to go to u-boot rather than booting up. Do a
printenv. And see what your videomode is. You're likely using
something like: '1024x768MR-24@60'. If you change that to:
'1024x768MR-16@60' things should improve dramatically. :-)

Best regards,
Geof

djibi2

Mar 4, 2009, 4:19:11 PM3/4/09
to Beagle Board
Ok, things are working now. For me, I needed to do things slightly
differently than spelled out in Step III of:
http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/HowtoUseSGXunderAngstrom

Instead of adding
setenv mmcargs 'setenv
bootargs ...omapfb.video_mode=1024x768MR-16@60'

I removed the mmcargs part and changed my bootargs environment to
contain the video mode.

Now things are working.

On Mar 4, 5:19 am, Geof Cohler <g.coh...@computer.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I too get the first two ERROR messages (omaplfb and pvrsrvkm
> missing).  I'm not sure what they mean, but they don't seem to stop it
> from working (in the way that it does work).
>
> The third message says that your monitor is configured in 24-bit mode
> (888).  And the drivers don't work at all in 24-bit mode.  You need to
> be in 16-bit mode (565).
>
> The cure for that is to modify your bootargs' videomode.  So turn on
> the beagle, hit a key to go to u-boot rather than booting up.  Do a
> printenv.  And see what your videomode is.  You're likely using
> something like:  '1024x768MR-24@60'.  If you change that to:
> '1024x768MR-16@60' things should improve dramatically.  :-)
>
> Best regards,
> Geof
>
> On Mar 3, 9:13 am,djibi2<dji...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.  I started from scratch following
> > the steps on the link that you indicated, including the fresh checkout
> > and build of openembedded system as described in the prerequisites
> > section.
> > I am receiving these messages:
> > ERROR: Module omaplfb does not exist in /proc/modules
> > ERROR: Module pvrsrvkm does not exist in /proc/modules
>
> > and also seeing  this:
> > 'dmesg | grep PVR'. and I see 'PVRSRV_PIXEL_FORMAT_RGB888'.
> > even after changing the parameters in u-boot.
>
> > Any suggesstions?
>
> > On Mar 3, 6:34 am, Geof Cohler <g.coh...@computer.org> wrote:
>
> > > Look here for more instructions:  http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/HowtoUseSGXunderAngstrom

PaulG

Apr 6, 2009, 3:54:58 AM4/6/09
to Beagle Board

Does anyone have an idea when flipbuffer will be supported? I really
would like to evaluate the OGL support without the tearing artifacts.

Thanks,

Paul

On Feb 13, 2:22 pm, Jason Kridner <jkrid...@beagleboard.org> wrote:

TK, Pratheesh Gangadhar

Apr 6, 2009, 6:50:31 AM4/6/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Flip will be supported in next release of OMAP35x_Graphics_SDK (3.00.00.08) - which will be available for download sometime during 3rd week of April.

Regards,
Pratheesh

PaulG

Apr 7, 2009, 1:25:38 PM4/7/09
to Beagle Board

Hi Pratheesh,

Was there a 07 released? what changes did it contain? - I'm still
using the 06 release.

When you say the 08 release will be available for download, presumably
i can get it from my TI contact sooner than this, or does no one have
it yet?

Thanks,

Paul

On Apr 6, 11:50 am, "TK, Pratheesh Gangadhar" <prathe...@ti.com>
wrote:
> Flip will be supported in next release of OMAP35x_Graphics_SDK (3.00.00.08) - which will be available for download sometime during 3rd week of April.
>
> Regards,
> Pratheesh

TK, Pratheesh Gangadhar

Apr 7, 2009, 1:47:12 PM4/7/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Paul,

> Was there a 07 released? what changes did it contain? - I'm still
> using the 06 release.

07 and 06 are technically the same; other than a EULA text update.

> When you say the 08 release will be available for download, presumably
> i can get it from my TI contact sooner than this, or does no one have
> it yet?

This release is presently undergoing validation.

Regards,
Pratheesh