Beagle Board to LCD how-to posted

espian

Oct 7, 2008, 9:55:41 AM10/7/08
to Beagle Board
Hello, Everyone,

Gerald had asked me to document bringing up and attaching a raw LCD
panel to the Beagle Board through a Digital View ALR-1400.

I just posted a first cut at the resulting documentation at:

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard#Interfacing_to_Raw_LCD_Panels

I know there had been some discussion about adding the LCD lines to
the Expansion Port. This shows one alternative to that.

Please let me know if there are any questions that you have about the
above posting.

Thanks,

Keith
espian
'at'
linuxinstruments.com

Dirk Behme

Oct 10, 2008, 12:39:46 PM10/10/08
to espian, beagl...@googlegroups.com, dv

FYI just in case you missed it: dv added a discussion:

http://elinux.org/Talk:BeagleBoardRawLCD

Dirk

Gerald Coley

Oct 10, 2008, 12:58:59 PM10/10/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, espian, dv
This is being addresssed on the Rev C version of the board.

Gerald

emeb

Oct 10, 2008, 1:19:20 PM10/10/08
to Beagle Board
Hi Gerald,

That's great news. What specifically have you done on Rev C to address
support for raw LCDs?

Thanks,

Eric

On Oct 10, 9:58 am, "Gerald Coley" <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> This is being addresssed on the Rev C version of the board.
>
> Gerald

Gerald Coley

Oct 10, 2008, 2:17:37 PM10/10/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
We have brought out all of the LCD signals to a pair of headers. The DVI-D connector has been moved next to the S-Video connector to make room for these headers. The Expansion connector has remained the same. We don't have a lot of room, but we were able to work it it.

Gerald

Gerald Coley

Oct 10, 2008, 2:46:32 PM10/10/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Attached is a mockup of what we are doing.

Gerald

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 12:19 PM, emeb <ebrom...@gmail.com> wrote:
Beagle_exp_LCD_RevC.JPG

Albert Nguyen

Oct 10, 2008, 3:42:28 PM10/10/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hey Gerald, any idea when Rev C boards will be out?
Thanks,
Albert

emeb

Oct 10, 2008, 3:45:45 PM10/10/08
to Beagle Board
That looks pretty good. I imagine that bringing those signals out will
make some people pretty happy.

Too bad that the S-video connector is so enormous compared to the
number of signals it actually carries. Seems like the kind of thing
that's ripe for a reduced-size connector standard.

BTW - I've wondered about this: What is gained by putting the JTAG
connector on a diagonal like that? Is it just to shorten routes to the
SOC?

Eric

On Oct 10, 11:46 am, "Gerald Coley" <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> Attached is a mockup of what we are doing.
>
> Gerald
>
>  Beagle_exp_LCD_RevC.JPG
> 87KViewDownload

Gerald Coley

Oct 10, 2008, 3:45:59 PM10/10/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
A lot of it depends on us finishing up our testing and the overall production scheduling. Right now it is looking like late December or early January.

Gerald

Gerald Coley

Oct 10, 2008, 3:51:36 PM10/10/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it was to shorten the line as much as possible. At 1.8V, the signals can have a tough time if they go too far to drive some of the JTAG devices out there. I always have used buffers on the JTAG, but we had no room on the board for the buffers.

Gerald