load a bmp splash image via u-boot

Kai

Mar 18, 2010, 12:17:54 PM3/18/10
to Beagle Board
Has anyone tried to load a bmp splash image via u-boot.
I tried using SD flash instead of tftp as http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/UBootSplashScreen,
but not successfully, it hangs. Maybe fatload doesn't work as I
expect.

mmc init 0;
fatload mmc 0 0x41F80000 my.bmp;

Petr Štetiar

Mar 19, 2010, 3:44:07 AM3/19/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Kai <kaij...@yahoo.com> [2010-03-18 09:17:54]:

> Has anyone tried to load a bmp splash image via u-boot.
> I tried using SD flash instead of tftp as http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/UBootSplashScreen,
> but not successfully, it hangs. Maybe fatload doesn't work as I expect.

Have you read all the information on that URL? There's 'To enable splash
screen support, you have to add a "#define CONFIG_SPLASH_SCREEN"', do you have
it in your U-boot?

> mmc init 0;
> fatload mmc 0 0x41F80000 my.bmp;

Where did you get that video memory address from? I think, that it's wrong.

BTW, I don't know if it helps you, but I've working RLE splash screen in
U-boot. You need to create 1280x720 image in 256(or less) colors in Gimp and
then convert it using gimp2rle[1] to RLE format to header logo.h[2] file. Than
you need to modify U-boot source in beagle.c[3], include "logo.h"[4] add
dss_init() function[5] and call it in misc_init_r() [6]. Recompile U-boot.
That's all.

-- ynezz

1. http://github.com/ynezz/beagleboard-uboot-logo/blob/master/gimp2rle/gimp2rle.c
2. http://github.com/ynezz/beagleboard-uboot-logo/blob/master/logo.h
3. http://github.com/ynezz/beagleboard-uboot-logo/blob/master/beagle.c
4. http://github.com/ynezz/beagleboard-uboot-logo/blob/master/beagle.c#L40
5. http://github.com/ynezz/beagleboard-uboot-logo/blob/master/beagle.c#L128
6. http://github.com/ynezz/beagleboard-uboot-logo/blob/master/beagle.c#L254

Kai

Mar 19, 2010, 6:17:47 AM3/19/10
to Beagle Board

On Mar 19, 7:44 am, Petr Štetiar <yn...@true.cz> wrote:
> Kai <kaiju...@yahoo.com> [2010-03-18 09:17:54]:

> > Has anyone tried to load a bmp splash image via u-boot.

> > I tried using SD flash instead of tftp ashttp://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/UBootSplashScreen,

> > but not successfully, it hangs. Maybe fatload doesn't work as I expect.
>
> Have you read all the information on that URL? There's 'To enable splash
> screen support, you have to add a "#define CONFIG_SPLASH_SCREEN"', do you have
> it in your U-boot?

Yes, I have. I have defined CONFIG_SPLASH_SCREEN in beagleboard config
file.

> > mmc init 0;
> > fatload mmc 0 0x41F80000 my.bmp;
>
> Where did you get that video memory address from? I think, that it's wrong.
>
> BTW, I don't know if it helps you, but I've working RLE splash screen in
> U-boot. You need to create 1280x720 image in 256(or less) colors in Gimp and
> then convert it using gimp2rle[1] to RLE format to header logo.h[2] file. Than
> you need to modify U-boot source in beagle.c[3], include "logo.h"[4] add
> dss_init() function[5] and call it in misc_init_r() [6]. Recompile U-boot.
> That's all.

I have done that. But once linux kernel is uncompressed, the splash
screen is corrupted.
I guess why it is corrupted is the splash is in 0x80500000 that is
allocated for the kernel.
The code was one year's old. dss_init() seems to have some same code
as display_init().
So that is why I try u-boot approach, it can suppress console output.

> -- ynezz
>
> 1.http://github.com/ynezz/beagleboard-uboot-logo/blob/master/gimp2rle/g...
> 2.http://github.com/ynezz/beagleboard-uboot-logo/blob/master/logo.h
> 3.http://github.com/ynezz/beagleboard-uboot-logo/blob/master/beagle.c
> 4.http://github.com/ynezz/beagleboard-uboot-logo/blob/master/beagle.c#L40
> 5.http://github.com/ynezz/beagleboard-uboot-logo/blob/master/beagle.c#L128
> 6.http://github.com/ynezz/beagleboard-uboot-logo/blob/master/beagle.c#L254

Petr Štetiar

Mar 19, 2010, 6:23:49 AM3/19/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Kai <kaij...@yahoo.com> [2010-03-19 03:17:47]:

> I have done that. But once linux kernel is uncompressed, the splash
> screen is corrupted.

I think that this is because of the linux framebuffer logo.

-- ynezz

Kai

Mar 19, 2010, 7:16:09 AM3/19/10
to Beagle Board
How do you remove beagleboard logo at the upper left corner of screen?

On Mar 19, 10:23 am, Petr Štetiar <yn...@true.cz> wrote:
> Kai <kaiju...@yahoo.com> [2010-03-19 03:17:47]:

Petr Štetiar

Mar 19, 2010, 7:22:31 AM3/19/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Kai <kaij...@yahoo.com> [2010-03-19 04:16:09]:

> How do you remove beagleboard logo at the upper left corner of screen?

Please, would you stop that top posting? Thanks.

http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+kernel+config+boot+logo

-- ynezz