strange usb errors

Frans Meulenbroeks

Mar 20, 2009, 2:09:34 PM3/20/09
to linux...@vger.kernel.org, beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have a few weird USB related errors.

Hardware: beagleboard rev C2.
OS: 2.6.28 (angstrom, r15 version)

If I connect my pvrusb2 controller directly to the usb host port the
device works as expected.

However if I connect the device through a (powered) usb hub, the
device does not work.
dmesg says:

usb 1-2.2: new high speed USB device using ehci-omap and address 5
usb 1-2.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 1-2.2: firmware: requesting v4l-pvrusb2-29xxx-01.fw
pvrusb2: Device microcontroller firmware (re)loaded; it should now
reset and reconnect.

but it does not reconnect.
I would not expect a usb hub to have such an effect. Note that the hub
is working and that devices like an ethernet dongle and a bluetooth
dongle work like a charm with the hub.

I also saw a fw load problem with the hardware (same system).
At that point dmesg said:

usb 1-2.2: new high speed USB device using ehci-omap and address 4
usb 1-2.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Linux video capture interface: v2.00
usbcore: registered new interface driver pvrusb2
pvrusb2: V4L in-tree version:Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 MPEG2 Encoder/Tuner
pvrusb2: Debug mask is 31 (0x1f)
usb 1-2.2: firmware: requesting v4l-pvrusb2-29xxx-01.fw
pvrusb2: ***WARNING*** Device fx2 controller firmware seems to be missing.
pvrusb2: Did you install the pvrusb2 firmware files in their proper location?
pvrusb2: request_firmware unable to locate fx2 controller file
v4l-pvrusb2-29xxx-01.fw
pvrusb2: Failure uploading firmware1
pvrusb2: Device initialization was not successful.
pvrusb2: Giving up since device microcontroller firmware appears to be missing.

If I then unplug and replug I get the first message (about reset and reconnect).

The other problem I have is with my wireless zd1211 based wifi dongle.
If I connect it I get:

usb 1-2.2: new high speed USB device using ehci-omap and address 6
usb 1-2.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 1-2.2: reset high speed USB device using ehci-omap and address 6
phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'pid'
zd1211rw 1-2.2:1.0: phy0
usb 1-2.2: firmware: requesting zd1211/zd1211_ub
usb 1-2.2: firmware: requesting zd1211/zd1211_uphr
usb 1-2.2: Could not load firmware file zd1211/zd1211_uphr. Error number -2
zd1211rw 1-2.2:1.0: couldn't load firmware. Error number -2

Whether the dongle is directly connected or through a hub does not
make a dfifference

However the firmware is there and the very same firmware works under
opensuse and used to work under 2.6.27

Anyone an idea ?

Frans

Frans Meulenbroeks

Mar 20, 2009, 2:34:13 PM3/20/09
to linux...@vger.kernel.org, beagl...@googlegroups.com
one more issue, same hw/sw;

If I connect my webcam (pwc driver) through the hub on the usb host port I get:
pwc: isoc_init() submit_urb 0 failed with error -28

On the otg port (again through a hub) there are some aretefacts (as
reported before)

directly connecting the cam to the usb host port does not work (guess
it is a 1.1 device which is not supported on the beagle host port).

Frans.

Gerald Coley

Mar 20, 2009, 2:52:02 PM3/20/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
The EHCI port is ONLY High speed. It cannot support Full or Low speed devices.

Gerald

Frans Meulenbroeks

Mar 21, 2009, 5:04:56 AM3/21/09
to Beagle Board
I am aware that the EHCI port is only high speed. That is why I wrote
"(guess it is a 1.1 device which is not supported on the beagle host
port)."
actually meanwhile I verified things and indeed it is a 1.1 device
(full speed).
Btw the cam is a Philips PCVC680K

Frans

On Mar 20, 7:52 pm, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> The EHCI port is ONLY High speed. It cannot support Full or Low speed
> devices.
>
> Gerald
>
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Frans Meulenbroeks <

Gerald Coley

Mar 21, 2009, 8:26:32 AM3/21/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I was replying to the list so others would understand what was meant by not supporting 1.1 devices. I was confident you understood the issue. As you know, only a few peoplw have experience witht the EHCI port on Beagle, and with it about to hit the store shelf, I took the opportunity to do a little "advance" work.

Gerald

romeobravo

Apr 16, 2009, 10:29:23 AM4/16/09
to Beagle Board
I'm seeing the same problems with webcam (Logitech 4000) data
corruption. I've been testing with both Rev B6 and C2 Beagleboards and
a variety of kernels and distros but the behaviour is consistent.
However, on Rev C2, if the USB to Ethernet (Trendnet TU2-ET100) is
moved from the OTG port connected hub to the EHCI port connected hub,
everything works perfectly (as noted above, it's not possible to test
both webcam and USB on the EHCI hub due to the pwc error on that
port).

The application I am running to test this streams the webcam data over
the Ethernet connection. Consequently, if the webcam and Ethernet are
on the same port, there are a serious amount of asynchronous transfers
going on. There was an errata on earlier OMAP silicon in this area but
I assume that was fixed in the current silicon rev on the C2 board.

Incidentally, if both webcam and Ethernet connection are on the OTG
port hub, I also get these errors from time to time in addition to the
image errors:

eth0: asix_rx_ifxup() Bad Header length

and

eth0: asix_rx_fixup() Bad Rx length xxxxx

This suggests that it is fundamental to the USB port driver, not
specific to the webcam driver. Eventually (after maybe 3 hours) the
Ethernet link dies

Is there any more information on what is happening here?

Richard.