Ordering a Beagleboard outside the US

Tom Cooksey

Jul 29, 2008, 4:04:50 AM7/29/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I've just tried to order a beaglebaord thismorning and am still
getting "The following parts cannot be exported to your destination
and will be deleted from your order" on the Digi-Key website. I also
noticed someone say they have run out, but more boards will be shipped
later this week.

My concern is that all the Rev. B boards will sell out again, before
the problems shipping outside the US have been resolved. So no-one
outside the US is going to get a Beagleboard until Rev. C, which is
November at the earliest.

Is this a possibility? Do I need to contact my fiancee's great aunt's
brother's son-in-law, who lives in Florida, and get it shipped to him
for him to ship it to me? Or is there no danger in waiting? :-)

Cheers,

Tom

Frantisek Dufka

Jul 29, 2008, 4:35:58 AM7/29/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Tom Cooksey wrote:
> I've just tried to order a beaglebaord thismorning and am still
> getting "The following parts cannot be exported to your destination
> and will be deleted from your order" on the Digi-Key website.

> Is this a possibility? Do I need to contact my fiancee's great aunt's
> brother's son-in-law, who lives in Florida, and get it shipped to him
> for him to ship it to me? Or is there no danger in waiting? :-)

I tried it yesterday with same result. Once they fix this there still
could be problem with either too expensive shipping (sadly it cannot be
computed on the site right now, I hope they offer cheap and slow USPS)
or not accepted credit card issued outside of US.

Anyone from EU who already bough something from US Digi-key store?

Frantisek

Jens Langwald

Jul 29, 2008, 7:31:07 AM7/29/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, same here from Germany. Normaly we order every month some parts from Digikey US.
That's the first time, that they don't send us this part.
Will try this next day again, but they told us that there are no stock at the moment.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen/Best regards
Jens

Vincent Mollimard

Jul 29, 2008, 5:34:01 AM7/29/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Daniel MD

Jul 29, 2008, 8:21:05 AM7/29/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Grrr... also no luck yesterday and today. I am now officially alarmed that i won't get one.

In regards to shipping. For EU countries (to my country Portugal) is free via UPS (2-4 days) for orders over €65.

Here is a excerpt of the transcript chat i had with one of their reps.

Maren Ext 2207: If you place your order in € Euro currency, you will have free shipping on orders over €65.00
Maren Ext 2207: That is shipping via UPS Express (2-4 day service).
Maren Ext 2207: However, if the order us under €65.00 the shipping cost will be €18.00

Is Digi-Key cheap to buy all other parts there too... or should i try to look up other providers?

I need to get a card and a couple of cables, i have some extra keyboards, mouses and crt monitors. I also have a couple of multiport usb hub devices, but they can be troublesome some times, maybe i should pick up a new usb hub just in case. these multiport (serial, parallel, usb) devices can be trouble.

What is a good cheap 4.3" LCD touchscreen that has been tested with success on the BB?

-Dan

Philip Balister

Jul 29, 2008, 8:42:41 AM7/29/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Daniel MD <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maren Ext 2207: If you place your order in € Euro currency, you will have
> free shipping on orders over €65.00
> Maren Ext 2207: That is shipping via UPS Express (2-4 day service).
> Maren Ext 2207: However, if the order us under €65.00 the shipping cost will
> be €18.00
>
> Is Digi-Key cheap to buy all other parts there too... or should i try to
> look up other providers?

I don't by a lot of electronics parts these days, but when I do, I
tend to buy from Digikey. Domestic orders over $25 have free shipping.
Frequently I have to look around for something I might need to get the
order over $25 :) Basically, Digikey is a pretty good supplier, at
least for the US based crowd.

Philip

drazvan

Jul 29, 2008, 10:32:52 AM7/29/08
to Beagle Board
I would also like to order one from Romania but the consensus around
here seems to be that they won't ship to Europe. Has anyone managed to
order one from over here? Any plans to set up some distributors in
Europe?

Thank you,
Razvan

--
Razvan Dragomirescu
Chief Technology Officer

drazvan

Jul 29, 2008, 11:48:46 AM7/29/08
to Beagle Board
I've just checked with DigiKey and they will _NOT_ export the
BeagleBoard anywhere outside the US. They claim that there's an export
restriction in place (I'm not an expert in US law so I have no idea
why it would be restricted for export to Europe). So I guess someone
at TI needs to talk to them and get this solved, this is getting a bit
ridiculous. Or just plainly state that the board is "US Only" visibly
on the beagleboard.org site and be done with it.

What's weird is that I saw a press release about a company in India
that is selling the BeagleBoard. Is it exportable to India but not to
Europe? Or is it actually manufactured there and they don't export it
at all?

Thank you,
Razvan

Jason Kridner

Jul 29, 2008, 1:10:45 PM7/29/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
This really is getting resolved. I spoke to someone at Digi-Key today
and they fully expect to overcome this issue soon. They ship OMAP3530
parts overseas and it is the OMAP3530 which has the export
restriction. They required some additional information from us to get
going, but that has been provided now. It was my mistake that they
did not know that this was required in advance of the launch. They
are working now to put the appropriate reporting mechanisms in place.

Again, my apologies for this hiccup. There is tremendous interest in
Europe, India, China, and South America. There will be some
restricted countries, but those are typically well-known and you'll
know if you live there. You will be able to purchase from Romania.

ReveI...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2008, 4:50:04 PM7/29/08
to Beagle Board
That not fair :(... im from Portugal... why doesnt them sell to
Europe ????
The BeagleBoard its the exact hardware i need for a project :(

Gerald Coley

Jul 29, 2008, 9:07:23 PM7/29/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
It is a paper work issue having to do with export regulations of high tech super devices shipped from the US. This is something that happens all the time. The issue should be resolved very soon.

Gerald
Message has been deleted

Dmitriy Kazimirov

Jul 29, 2008, 10:20:07 PM7/29/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Russia? (I'm thinking of using Bigleboard(not sure if it will be RevB or I will wait for RevC)

Best Regards,
Dmitriy Kazimirov,
Senior C++/C# Developer
of ISS Art, Ltd., Omsk, Russia
Web: http://www.issart.com
E-mail: dkazi...@issart.com

Frank W. Miller

Jul 29, 2008, 10:39:29 PM7/29/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

FYI.

I ordered my board yesterday and it was backordered.

Today I got a notification that it has shipped.  Hope others are as lucky!

FM

Trilok Soni

Jul 30, 2008, 8:59:52 AM7/30/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Razvan,

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 9:18 PM, drazvan <razvan.dr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just checked with DigiKey and they will _NOT_ export the
> BeagleBoard anywhere outside the US. They claim that there's an export
> restriction in place (I'm not an expert in US law so I have no idea
> why it would be restricted for export to Europe). So I guess someone
> at TI needs to talk to them and get this solved, this is getting a bit
> ridiculous. Or just plainly state that the board is "US Only" visibly
> on the beagleboard.org site and be done with it.
>
> What's weird is that I saw a press release about a company in India
> that is selling the BeagleBoard. Is it exportable to India but not to
> Europe? Or is it actually manufactured there and they don't export it
> at all?

It is cranes software from Bangalore. I believe that they will be also
getting from digi-key only. They have priced the board at 9999 INR,
which comes around 232 USD. I had sent an e-mail to them ordering one
for me, but no response. I think they are also waiting for export
clearance issue to get resolved.

--
---Trilok Soni
http://triloksoni.wordpress.com

Syed Mohammed, Khasim

Jul 30, 2008, 9:11:59 AM7/30/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, its cranes that is distributing boards in India, but even they are facing the similar issue. Cranes will be again buying boards from Digikey, this is to mainly handle the customs and import restrictions in India.

Regards,
Khasim

Kaj Grönholm

Jul 31, 2008, 3:32:03 PM7/31/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Ordering outside US works now, thanks to everyone involved! =)

- Kaitsu -