running android: "sh: can't access tty; job control turned off"

Robert P. J. Day

May 25, 2009, 3:24:59 PM5/25/09
to Beagleboard Google mailing list

i distinctly remember that diagnostic as being busybox-related, and
it's what causes you to have no ability to break out of something like
"top" once you start it running. has anyone run into that and knows a
simple fix for it? thanks.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Howard M Harte

May 25, 2009, 5:02:28 PM5/25/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Add androidboot.console=ttySn to your kernel commandline, where n is
the number of your console serial port.

-Howard

On May 25, 2009, at 12:24 PM, "Robert P. J. Day"

Robert P. J. Day

May 25, 2009, 5:07:05 PM5/25/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 25 May 2009, Howard M Harte wrote:

> Add androidboot.console=ttySn to your kernel commandline, where n is
> the number of your console serial port.

ok, i'll give that a shot in a bit. but where should i have
expected to read that?

rday

Robert P. J. Day

May 25, 2009, 5:22:40 PM5/25/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 25 May 2009, Howard M Harte wrote:

> Add androidboot.console=ttySn to your kernel commandline, where n is
> the number of your console serial port.

excellent, that worked, so let me ask another dumb question.
currently, my bootargs line already contains "console=ttyS2,115200n8".
am i supposed to add that extra boot-time parm *instead of" the
console= parm, or *in addition to*?

i added it at the end and it appeared to work. just wondering if
that's the ideal way to do it. thanks.

rday

p.s. i didn't add the speed and parity characteristics to the
androidboot parm, just the tty port.

Howard M Harte

May 25, 2009, 6:30:05 PM5/25/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On May 25, 2009, at 2:07 PM, "Robert P. J. Day"
<rpj...@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 May 2009, Howard M Harte wrote:
>
>> Add androidboot.console=ttySn to your kernel commandline, where n is
>> the number of your console serial port.
>
> ok, i'll give that a shot in a bit. but where should i have
> expected to read that?

Good question. I guess they want us to read all the source code to
find this sort of thing, but I found it on one of the android mailing
lists.

I'd suggest subscribing to android-platform and android-porting, or
searching those lists.

-Howard

> rday
> --
>
> ===

Howard M Harte

May 25, 2009, 6:34:01 PM5/25/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On May 25, 2009, at 2:22 PM, "Robert P. J. Day"
<rpj...@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 May 2009, Howard M Harte wrote:
>
>> Add androidboot.console=ttySn to your kernel commandline, where n is
>> the number of your console serial port.
>
> excellent, that worked, so let me ask another dumb question.
> currently, my bootargs line already contains "console=ttyS2,115200n8".
> am i supposed to add that extra boot-time parm *instead of" the
> console= parm, or *in addition to*?
>
> i added it at the end and it appeared to work. just wondering if
> that's the ideal way to do it. thanks.

I don't know, but I'd guess you need both. The regular console= is
needed by the kernel, and the androidboot.console= probably sets some
property used by the usermode components. It might be possible to use
setprop in init.rc to accomplish the same thing, but I'd have to check
the sources.

-Howard