Change X Display size under VNC

hagrid

Jun 29, 2010, 7:40:50 AM6/29/10
to Beagle Board
Hi,

I'm trying to configure VNC with my B7 Beagleboard, running the 2009.x-
stable Angstrom release as I don't have an HDMI display at present. I
can access the Beagleboard desktop remotely via ethernet, running
x11vnc on the Beagleboard and SSL/SSH VNC viewer on my desktop but it
will only display at 640 * 480 resolution. I've tried adding a '-
geometry 1024x768' parameter to the x11vnc command invoked by the /etc/
X11/Xinit.d/02vnc script, but this stops the service running at all.
If I try to change the screen resolution within Enlightenment, it
reports 'No refresh rates were reported by your X Display server'. I'm
(obviously!) not an 'X' expert, so could anyone give me a pointer as
to how I can increase my screen resolution under VNC ?

Les

Bob Monsen

Jun 29, 2010, 2:30:58 PM6/29/10
to Beagle Board
I'm running 2.6.35 linux_omap and have been able to set the size using
the u-boot parameters. You need to pass these parameters into the
kernel when it is starting up.

You should modify the bootargs to the kernel to include something like
'omapfb.mode=dvi:1280x1024MR-16@60'.

When the beagle boots, there is a countdown. Interrupt it by typing a
key (on the serial port), and issue 'printenv'. You'll see all the
environment vars.

In addition, you may want to add -nomodtweak to the file in /etc/X11/
Xinit.d/02vnc. Otherwise, the server does not handle shift keys
properly on US keyboards.

Regards,
Bob Monsen

hagrid