Who wants to benchmark this on his/her BeagleBoard?

Tom Turbo

Jan 27, 2011, 3:06:56 PM1/27/11
to Beagle Board
Hi everybody!
This is for everybody who has a BeagleBoard (any version) and is
willing to run a small benchmark for me.
It is phrot,a program for performing primality tests on big numbers
and relies heavily on double-precision floating point performance.
To run it.
First,download and extract the archive at the link below somewhere
onto your beagle.
Then,run ./makeit.sh
If it should fail with an error,please report!
If it succeded,you should have an executable called "phrot" in the
folder where you unzipped the archive.
If that's the case,run this:
./phrot -q 10^16384+1
Wait till it finishes and report all of the output here. Thanks!

Link to archive:
http://rapidshare.com/files/444871561/phrot_beagle.tar.gz

Måns Rullgård

Jan 27, 2011, 8:36:40 PM1/27/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Tom Turbo <ilikelinu...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everybody!
> This is for everybody who has a BeagleBoard (any version) and is
> willing to run a small benchmark for me.
> It is phrot,a program for performing primality tests on big numbers
> and relies heavily on double-precision floating point performance.

Double-precision float on the Cortex-A8 is slow.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com

Tom Turbo

Jan 28, 2011, 9:07:07 AM1/28/11
to Beagle Board
OK,that is something good to know.
Still interested how it compares to a 1.4 GHZ athlon xp with this
benchmark.

Everett Wang

Jan 29, 2011, 1:54:58 PM1/29/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Please publish the result to this group. I want to know the comparison. I have a
beagleboard C4 and am willing to help to run the benchmark. Please send the
benchmark software and instruction of how to run it.

Best regards,

Everett

Måns Rullgård

Jan 29, 2011, 2:11:06 PM1/29/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Tom Turbo <ilikelinu...@gmail.com> writes:

>> Double-precision float on the Cortex-A8 is slow.
>

> OK,that is something good to know.
> Still interested how it compares to a 1.4 GHZ athlon xp with this
> benchmark.

The athlon will be at least 5x faster.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com

Tom Turbo

Jan 29, 2011, 2:57:16 PM1/29/11
to Beagle Board

On 29 Jan., 20:11, Måns Rullgård <m...@mansr.com> wrote:
> Tom Turbo <ilikelinustorva...@gmail.com> writes:
> >> Double-precision float on the Cortex-A8 is slow.
>
> > OK,that is something good to know.
> > Still interested how it compares to a 1.4 GHZ athlon xp with this
> > benchmark.
>
> The athlon will be at least 5x faster.
>
> --
> Måns Rullgård
> m...@mansr.com
How much faster do you think a 1 GHZ Cortex A9(one core) would be in
this regard?

Måns Rullgård

Jan 30, 2011, 9:40:37 AM1/30/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Tom Turbo <ilikelinu...@gmail.com> writes:

>> > OK,that is something good to know.
>> > Still interested how it compares to a 1.4 GHZ athlon xp with this
>> > benchmark.
>>
>> The athlon will be at least 5x faster.
>>

> How much faster do you think a 1 GHZ Cortex A9(one core) would be in
> this regard?

The A9 should be comparable to the Athlon.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com