beagleboard decoder video

Gerardo Di Iorio

Mar 11, 2009, 1:16:22 PM3/11/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
hi,
the beagleboard is able to decode real time  video stream from usb analog capture ?

thanks
gerardo di iorio

--
http://www.gerardodiiorio.com

Jason Kridner

Mar 11, 2009, 1:32:45 PM3/11/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, but I think you want to be more specific with your question.

Gerardo Di iorio

Mar 12, 2009, 1:02:32 PM3/12/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

> Yes, but I think you want to be more specific with your question.

I will use the beagleboard to acquire and convert video from use analog capture hw(example haugpage ecc).
Is the arm processor able to decode in realtime the analog video input to dvix, mp4 format?

regards
gerardo di iorio

Brian Phelps

Mar 12, 2009, 2:34:58 PM3/12/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Technically you will be encoding, not decoding, you'll also be using xvid library I believe.

My experience with the hauppage usb capture devices is with the "Hauppauge WinTV USB Live Pro (NTSC M/N) [0573:2d01]"  it only does 320x240, probably because it is limited by USB 1.1

So the real question is how fast can the xvid library encode 320x240 at 30fps on OMAP.  Can it keep up?  If libxvid uses the NEON extensions then it most likely will.  Does anyone know if this is the case?

As a side note there is a new Hauppage USB capture device (Component Video inputs) that does H264 encoding in RT using hardware, this may be better if you are looking to encode it anyway.

regards
gerardo di iorio

Gerardo Di iorio

Mar 13, 2009, 4:26:22 AM3/13/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

> My experience with the hauppage usb capture devices is with the "Hauppauge
> WinTV USB Live Pro (NTSC M/N) [0573:2d01]" it only does 320x240, probably
> because it is limited by USB 1.1
>
> So the real question is how fast can the xvid library encode 320x240 at
> 30fps on OMAP. Can it keep up? If libxvid uses the NEON extensions then it
> most likely will. Does anyone know if this is the case?
>
> As a side note there is a new Hauppage USB capture device (Component Video
> inputs) that does H264 encoding in RT using hardware, this may be better if
> you are looking to encode it anyway.

Whas is the hauppage model with H264 hardware RT encoding?

Peter McDermott

Mar 13, 2009, 5:04:31 AM3/13/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
We're seeing high CPU utilization when a USB mouse is plugged into
Beagle while running the Angstrom DirectFB programs (and our own
DirectFB programs). When we unplug the mouse, the utilization goes to
a normal level. We don't see this issue with Angstrom X11 apps.

We see this with the mouse plugged into a USB hub or directly in the
Beagle's mouse port.

Anyone else seen this and have any pointers?

Regards,

Peter

Søren Steen Christensen

Mar 13, 2009, 5:16:26 AM3/13/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
> Whas is the hauppage model with H264 hardware RT encoding?

http://tinyurl.com/cvck52

/ Søren

Frans Meulenbroeks

Mar 13, 2009, 11:23:48 AM3/13/09
to Beagle Board

On Mar 13, 10:16 am, Søren Steen Christensen
or http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html if you want
the full URL

Note: I have a hauppauge wintv usb pvr2 which has a hw mpeg2 encoder,
but I have been unable to get it to work on my beagle.
I suspect it is related to the otg port and the musb driver. The think
works like a charm on opensuse 11.1 and on openslug on nslu2.

Frans.

PS; Peter, please do not change the topic of a thread. If you want to
discuss something else, make a new thread, don't do a reply and change
the subject as your message will end up in the wrong thread.