BeagleBoard-XM 2.6.36 kernel image

Cedric Madianga

Nov 11, 2010, 9:45:19 AM11/11/10
to Beagle Board
Hi all,

I would like to build my own kernel image for my BeagleBoard-XM.

Does anyone know where I can find patches and .config file to build a
linux kernel image thanks to the 2.6.36 release ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Cedric.

Robert Nelson

Nov 11, 2010, 10:37:34 AM11/11/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Cedric Madianga
<cedric....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to build my own kernel image for my BeagleBoard-XM.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find patches and .config file to build a
> linux kernel image thanks to the 2.6.36 release ?

Did you try kernel.org's 2.6.36 with "make omap3_defconfig" ?

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Cedric Madianga

Nov 11, 2010, 3:33:03 PM11/11/10
to Beagle Board
With the omap3_defconfig, the kernel image built works fine.
I didn't notice that they replaced the omap3_beagle_defconfig by the
omap3_defconfig file.
Thanks Robert.

On Nov 11, 4:37 pm, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Cedric Madianga

Robert Nelson

Nov 11, 2010, 6:05:24 PM11/11/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Cedric Madianga
<cedric....@gmail.com> wrote:
> With the omap3_defconfig, the kernel image built works fine.
> I didn't notice that they replaced the omap3_beagle_defconfig by the
> omap3_defconfig file.

and with 2.6.37 it's now.. omap2plus_defconfig

Eventually configs will go away completely..

Max Galemin

Nov 11, 2010, 6:20:03 PM11/11/10
to Beagle Board
Hi Cedric,

At the moment I'm working on stabilizing 2.6.36 kernel from
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap-2.6.git
repo with support for LTTng traces (http://lttng.org/). After I finish
this I'll probably post results here. At the moment I have some
problems with MPU frequency, with ethernet on LAN9514 (it can be issue
with my U-Boot from git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git) and segmentation
fault in lttctl.

Cheers,
Max.

sphyrian

Dec 4, 2010, 3:35:23 PM12/4/10
to Beagle Board
Hi,

did the kernel you've build boot with omap3_defconfig ? My 2.6.36
kernel boot but it had no ethernet interface. My BeagleBoard is BB-xM
revB.

Eric Fung

Dec 4, 2010, 5:57:10 PM12/4/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
The -xm board uses usb0 as the network device. The hardware chip is SMSC9514. The active level of the GPIO pin to enable the SMSC9514 is HIGH instead of LOW for the good old Beagleboard. So, only if you found the patch, you need to edit the file mach-omap2/beagle-omap2beagle.c to change the output of the regarding GPIO pin to '1'. You can search this subject in the internet. I also found the problem and fix last week.

Max Galemin

Dec 4, 2010, 6:53:58 PM12/4/10
to Beagle Board
Hi sphyrian,

In order to boot 2.6.36 kernel you need to apply next patches:

1. kernel-2.6.36-bb-xm-mmc-fix.patch (fixes issue with invalid MMC
card mounting during the boot):

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BywvSqtpDKuCYTU3MDMzNWMtMzQwNC00YmVhLWI5MDMtNjhlNjIzMWViMWMy&export=download&authkey=CJe075gP&hl=en

2. kernel-2.6.36-bb-xm-usb-pwr.patch (fixes issue with wrong default
level for USB power switch):

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BywvSqtpDKuCM2QwZGUzNjEtYTJkYS00NzRiLWFkMDktYTkzNmFjNmE4NzMx&export=download&authkey=CIaEh-oO&hl=en

3. Set in U-Boot cli:

setenv mpurate 800

Cheers,
Max.

Arlo

Dec 6, 2010, 1:04:37 AM12/6/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Need add CONFIG_USB_NET_SMSC95XX in kernel config and will presents as usb0

Carlo Caione

Dec 6, 2010, 12:11:13 PM12/6/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On 12/11/2010 00:05, Robert Nelson wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Cedric Madianga
> <cedric....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> With the omap3_defconfig, the kernel image built works fine.
>> I didn't notice that they replaced the omap3_beagle_defconfig by the
>> omap3_defconfig file.
>
> and with 2.6.37 it's now.. omap2plus_defconfig
>
> Eventually configs will go away completely..

What about your beagleboard kernel for ubuntu, Robert?
Is it a standard vanilla kernel or tmlind kernel tree? What patches are
you using?

Thank you,

--
Carlo Caione

Robert Nelson

Dec 6, 2010, 6:54:16 PM12/6/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

I actually base off tovald's mainline tree, then add patches from
tmlind/sakoman/koen/tomba/etc... and then i have that big sgx kernel
module patch..

sphyrian

Jan 13, 2011, 7:31:41 AM1/13/11
to Beagle Board
Thanks,

everythings id OK now for the usb0 interface.

Now i'll wait the kernel to allow 1Ghz on my BB-xM...

Sphyrian

On 5 déc 2010, 00:53, Max Galemin <maksim.gale...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi sphyrian,
>
> In order to boot 2.6.36 kernel you need to apply next patches:
>
> 1. kernel-2.6.36-bb-xm-mmc-fix.patch (fixes issue with invalid MMC
> card mounting during the boot):
>
> https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BywvSqtpDKuCYTU3MDMzNWMtMzQwNC00YmVhLW...
>
> 2. kernel-2.6.36-bb-xm-usb-pwr.patch (fixes issue with wrong default
> level for USB power switch):
>
> https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BywvSqtpDKuCM2QwZGUzNjEtYTJkYS00NzRiLW...

Koen Kooi

Jan 13, 2011, 9:26:37 AM1/13/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
1GHz works just fine with the angstrom 2.6.37 kernel....

sphyrian

Jan 13, 2011, 1:51:02 PM1/13/11
to Beagle Board
Thank you for your reply.

I hope this will be soon in the official kernel...

Regards

Sphyrian

On 13 jan, 15:26, Koen Kooi <k...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> 1GHz works just fine with the angstrom 2.6.37 kernel....
>
> Op 13 jan 2011, om 13:31 heeftsphyrianhet volgende geschreven:
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > everythings id OK now for the usb0 interface.
>
> > Now i'll wait the kernel to allow 1Ghz on my BB-xM...
>
> >Sphyrian
>
> > On 5 déc 2010, 00:53, Max Galemin <maksim.gale...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hisphyrian,
>
> >> In order to boot 2.6.36 kernel you need to apply next patches:
>
> >> 1. kernel-2.6.36-bb-xm-mmc-fix.patch (fixes issue with invalid MMC
> >> card mounting during the boot):
>
> >>https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BywvSqtpDKuCYTU3MDMzNWMtMzQwNC00YmVhLW...
>
> >> 2. kernel-2.6.36-bb-xm-usb-pwr.patch (fixes issue with wrong default
> >> level for USB power switch):
>
> >>https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BywvSqtpDKuCM2QwZGUzNjEtYTJkYS00NzRiLW...
>
> >> 3. Set in U-Boot cli:
>
> >> setenv mpurate 800