SPI testing

Philip Balister

Feb 12, 2009, 1:56:04 PM2/12/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I consolidated the patches from the earlier SPI thread into one.
Hopefully, I didn't make any mistakes. This is (basically) against the
current kernel used by Angstrom.

So far, I have booted it and confirmed the existence of the dev nodes.

Philip

spi-test.patch

iatrides clement

Feb 15, 2009, 4:24:18 AM2/15/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I am also trying to make the spi work, so I am interested in your work.
I have OpenEmbeded working and I use the online generated version of
Angstrom, could you explain me how to use your patch in this environment
or how to compile it in a standalone module ?

Looking forward to your answer.

Iatrides Clemént

Philip Balister

Feb 15, 2009, 10:45:47 AM2/15/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 4:24 AM, iatrides clement
<clement....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am also trying to make the spi work, so I am interested in your work.
> I have OpenEmbeded working and I use the online generated version of
> Angstrom, could you explain me how to use your patch in this environment
> or how to compile it in a standalone module ?
>
> Looking forward to your answer.

I've attached a diff of my OE directory. It has the kernel bb file
changes and the defconfig changes. You need to put the patch I posted
earlier in packages/linux/linux-omap-2.6.28/beagleboard/spi-test.patch

Then bitbake -c rebuild linux-omap.

I have data coming out and am viewing it on the scope. Next week, I'll
start looking at reading data. This seems to be the part that causes
problems...

Philip

spi-oe.patch

iatrides clement

Feb 18, 2009, 3:52:36 AM2/18/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I used theses patchs and I see the two /dev/spidev files but I was
unable to get an output on de expansion header pin. I tested with echo
and cat, but also with a smal C program. Is there any other
configuration I must do to use theses SPI Ports ?

Looking forward to your answer.

IATRIDES Clément

Philip Balister

Feb 18, 2009, 6:32:14 AM2/18/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Compile spidev_test.c found in the kernel Documentation/spi directory
with something like:

/home/balister/oe/tmp/cross/armv7a/bin/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc
-o spidev_test spidev_test.c

This assumes you are using OE to build the rootfs.

Philip

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 3:52 AM, iatrides clement

Clément IATRIDES

Feb 19, 2009, 9:37:58 AM2/19/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I builded with de new patch posted and I am not able to see any signal on the clock miso mosi or cs pins of spi3. I builded the spidev_test progam as explained and maby it is a pin mux problem did you do any thing else ?

IATRIDES Clément

Philip Balister

Feb 19, 2009, 9:40:59 AM2/19/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Clément IATRIDES
<clement....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I builded with de new patch posted and I am not able to see any signal on
> the clock miso mosi or cs pins of spi3. I builded the spidev_test progam as
> explained and maby it is a pin mux problem did you do any thing else ?

You will need to run "bitbake -c rebuild u-boot" and update u-boot on
your SD card. U-boot is in
tmp/deploy/glibc/images/beagleboard/u-boot-beagleboard.bin. U-boot
contains the pinmux setup now.

Also, I have MLO and U-boot on the boot partition of the SD card, I'm
not sure what the "standard" method is now :)

Philip