[beagleboard] New Angstrom Image

Michael Evans

Apr 20, 2010, 5:57:25 PM4/20/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

I've just been playing with the new Angstrom image.  Here's a couple of pointers:

1.  Serial port garbage
This appears to be (for me anyway) a problem with the serial port going to sleep.  Most of the time it just generates some junk which can be cleared with CTRL-U or backspace.  However, if it happens at the login prompt then getty thinks the terminal is 7-bit with parity (rather than 8-bit raw).  If this happens and you continue to login the whole session appears to be scrambled - if you press CTRL-D you can login again provided you don't stop typing... :]

I have simply added the following two lines to root's .profile:
stty -parenb -parodd cs8 -inpck -istrip
echo 0 > /sys/class/tty/ttyS2/device/sleep_timeout

A better fix would probably be to just add the second line to a rc.d startup script somewhere...

2.  USB CDC serial port
The demo image and a Narcissus built rootfs don't put a login prompt on the serial-over-USB port.  If you add the following line to /etc/inittab and then run "pkill -HUP init" then you can do a serial login over the USB connection from a USB host with minicom by connecting to /dev/ttyACM0.

GS:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 115200 ttyGS0

Is there any reason why this isn't there by default...?

3.  Kernel panic / division by zero errors
My Rev C2 board fails to boot the uImage from the demo directory... it panics...  The same board boots a Narcissus kernel image (Linux beagleboard 2.6.32 #1 PREEMPT Thu Mar 18 10:33:56) but dmesg shows a couple of division by zero errors which didn't cause a panic.  I would include an output form the uImage that panics, but my laptop battery is about to die...!!

Mike

Michael Evans

Apr 20, 2010, 6:00:15 PM4/20/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and I've noticed that at the uboot prompt the USB host sees an ACM USB device... sadly though I haven't managed to get any thing useful from it... does U-Boot now support USB console, USB network boot...!?!?!? etc...

From: horse...@hotmail.com
To: beagl...@googlegroups.com
Subject: New Angstrom Image
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:57:25 +0100

Michael Evans

Apr 21, 2010, 11:31:35 AM4/21/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I've got the minicom logs for the kernel panic here: http://pastebin.com/Rv55dBmQ

My set up is BeagleBoard connected directly via OTG port to a vanilla 64-bit Ubuntu 9.10 laptop.  NAND is empty and SD card only has the current Angstrom demo MLO, Uboot and rootfs.  The problem is repeatable and crashes every boot.

I suspect Ubuntu might be scanning the USB bus before the MUSB drivers are really ready for action.  I might try changing the USB settle time on the Ubuntu host to see if that fixes the problem...  I can't believe nobody else has hit this problem...???

At least the narcissus built kernel works :)
Subject: [beagleboard] RE: New Angstrom Image
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 23:00:15 +0100

Michael Zucchi

Apr 24, 2010, 4:02:22 AM4/24/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I'm getting the same crash here - with a narcissus build from a few
days ago (C3 board). With the narcissus sd-image supplied mlo/uboot
it also appears to hang after all the full stops printed while
uncompressing linux, but it could just be the same crash with less
verbosity(?)

But I just found a way to make it boot, at least with the older uboot.
I was using the OTG port for power, plugged into my workstation just
because the port is convenient. If I plug it into the monitor's USB
out instead (which isn't connected to anything), it is booting ok now.
I also tried plugging it into the hub i'm using - but then it detects
itself and crashes.

(I chose xfce4, and the install is a bit cactus, the panel has window
decorations and the startup tip keeps showing when i log in, but I
suppose I can work that all out if i really care)

Michael

Yaman Umuroglu

May 15, 2010, 6:06:16 PM5/15/10
to Beagle Board
I was wondering if anyone was able to determine the cause of this
particular crash and possibly how to fix it? I'm getting the same
results with both the demo image and narcissus-built images. The logs
during the kernel panic are exactly the same.

By the way, I've tested with a WinXP host and that doesn't help
either, so I don't think it's a host related issue.

If I power my Beagle with a crappy USB A to USB miniB cable with only
the power pins connected, it boots just fine. But I really would
prefer being able to use USB networking :)

Yaman