Serial and USB download status

Dirk Behme

Jul 20, 2008, 2:54:02 AM7/20/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, Nishanth Menon

In the last days, there were some questions/discussion about serial
and USB download status at IRC:

* USB download:

It works with a Linux command line tool. You can download and start
U-Boot V2 (in OMAP internal RAM). Unfortunately, U-Boot V2 lacks most
of drivers. So, what you can do is use U-Boot V2's loadb to (serial)
download U-Boot V1 to SDRAM and execute it.

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard#USB_boot

I used this to recover my bricked board (broken NAND boot code).

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardRecovery#USB_recovery

* Serial download

There are two PC tools for this, one perl script and one Linux command
line C utility

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard#Serial_boot

Unfortunately, both don't work for me yet. The perl script seems to
have issues with my USB serial adapter

http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/issues/detail?id=10

Maybe the C utility has similiar issues or need some further debugging

http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/issues/detail?id=9

Once one or both tools work, they should do the download the same way
described in above USB_recovery article.

* Outlook

I think Nishanth has a lot stuff in his queue, U-Boot V2 code and PC
tools. Unfortunately, last time I mailed with him he had to work for
an other project and had no time to clean up his code for public release.

Cheers

Dirk

P.S.: Anyway, thanks to Nishanth for his U-Boot V2 work!

Nishanth Menon

Jul 20, 2008, 10:59:49 PM7/20/08
to Dirk Behme, beagl...@googlegroups.com
Dirk Behme said the following on 07/20/2008 01:54 AM:

> I think Nishanth has a lot stuff in his queue, U-Boot V2 code and PC
> tools. Unfortunately, last time I mailed with him he had to work for
> an other project and had no time to clean up his code for public release.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dirk
>
> P.S.: Anyway, thanks to Nishanth for his U-Boot V2 work!

Sorry guys, been slogging along on my official project for the last few
days on a new platform with real cool new toys.. time sure goes by fast
when one is having a fun time ;).. on U-boot v2, well.. Couple of updates:
a) Serial peripheral mode support: well.. the u-boot v2 target code
works. the app -> my own serial c and perl app and dirks' c app works as
long as u have a PCI uart port. for some reason even parity and
USB2Serial convertors dont like each other.. still need to debug this.
b) NAND Support: I have basic NAND support working -> Though i had
played with Ragha's patches (Ragha please push them to Sascha and u-boot
list), i could not get Wait Monitoring working to my satisfaction .. I
am holding off the nand patches due to that.
c) USB support:
part 1: i2c ops required to communicate with Transicever is partly in
discussion. Sascha and I had a long debate on the nature of how it
should look like, with each of us looking at things tangentially :(.
Sascha has set up a seperate branch on denx tree here: [1]. I have
already got a new bunch of patches which will make things a lot more
simpler.. yet not got to push it.
part 2: USB gadget support. I have done very little on this so far :(.
but the general idea is to pull in Linux's gadget architecture over to
u-boot v2 (expect more debates ;) ). I think this should go smooth..

Time lines: well.. hoping to get back on track in a couple of weeks or less.
Regards,
Nishanth Menon

1. http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-v2.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/i2c