lmbench on BeagleBoard

Avik Juneja

Jul 11, 2008, 11:05:33 AM7/11/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I  was able to run lmbench on BeagleBoard. Following is the detailed step-by-step procedure for the same.

Also, I, now, wish to move on to Eclipse. It'll be very helpful if I can be  provided with any background information on this project, as it is new to me.

1. Go to home directory and Download Kernel image from: http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/BeagleSourceCode Kernel (uImage) 2.6.22.18 – kernal image with USB host port enabled

2. Untar the kernal image

4. Untar the code sourcery and install it

5. Go to kernal image directory and run the following commands: make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- distclean make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- omap3_beagle_discomfit make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- uImage

File named "uImage" will be generated in arch/arm/boot directory For further reference visit: http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/BeagleSoftCompile

Download lmbench-2.5 (the release version) from the URL: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=14418

6. Now, mount the mmc on the host machine using the USB drive: run the following commands: a) /sbin/fdisk /dev/sda1 b) /sbin/mke2fs /dev/sda1 c) mount /dev/sda1 /mnt d) cd /mnt

7. Untar the lmbench using: $ tar -xvzf lmbench-2.5 on MMC rootfs

8. Got to the source directory: cd lmbench-2.5/src

9. Edit the Makefile for cross compilation for ARM processor a) vim Makefile; b) CC=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc; c)OS=arm-none-linux-nearby; d)AR=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-ar; e) save the changes made

10. Now, run the following command: $ make lmbench This should create the required binary files in the lmbench directory

11. Copy the 'Uimage' created in Step 5 onto /mnt

12. Also go to the lmbench directory and copy the contents of the bin directory to the bin directory of the file system in /mnt

13. Unmount the mmc

14. Insert the mmc in Beagle Board and boot!

15. On the terminal, give the starting address of Uimage and bootm using the following steps

Boot the Kernel Image over MMC

a) OMAP3 beagleboard.org # bootm 0x80300000

16. Go to the bin directory of the filesystem and execute the following commands to configure lmbench

a) ./config-run

* if a file is missing, create that missing file J

Follow instructions on screen

17. Then run lmbench using the command

a) ./results

------------------------------

--
Sincere Regards

Avik

koen

Jul 11, 2008, 1:50:19 PM7/11/08
to Beagle Board
How about:

1) get console-image http://amethyst.openembedded.net/~koen/beagleboard/overlay/
and untar it to SD
2) boot beagleboard
3) type 'opkg update; opkg install lmbench'
4) run lmbench

That's much, much easier :)