[beagleboard] S-Video output is PAL not NTSC

Brian Phelps

Feb 10, 2009, 9:42:10 PM2/10/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I am using the latest Angstrom demo w/ 2.6.28-omap1

I have video on s-video, but it seems to be PAL instead of NTSC.  I also have no idea how to send my destop or anything for that matter.  When I run enlightenment the background does seem to take the background I see in the x11vnc window, but thats it.

I used the following to set it (with some minor modifications):

 tvline=`cat /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/displays |grep tv`
 w=`echo $tvline | cut -d " " -f 2 | cut -d ":" -f 2`
 h=`echo $tvline | cut -d " " -f 3 | cut -d ":" -f 2`

 echo "vid1 t:none" > /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/overlays
 fbset -fb /dev/fb1 -xres $w -vxres $w -yres $h -vyres $h
 echo "vid1 t:tv w:$w h:$h e:1" > /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/overlays
 echo "tv e:1" > /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/displays

This seems to enable PAL output on the S-Video on my board.

My questions are:
1) How do I make the S-Video output NTSC-M
2) How do I send content to the S-Video display, like an xterm

I have looked everywhere in the mailing list, that is where I found the script above, but the only thing relevant is what I posted above.

Tomi Valkeinen

Feb 11, 2009, 2:01:57 AM2/11/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 03:42 +0100, ext Brian Phelps wrote:
> I am using the latest Angstrom demo w/ 2.6.28-omap1
>
> I have video on s-video, but it seems to be PAL instead of NTSC. I
> also have no idea how to send my destop or anything for that matter.
> When I run enlightenment the background does seem to take the
> background I see in the x11vnc window, but thats it.
>
> I used the following to set it (with some minor modifications):
> tvline=`cat /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/displays |grep tv`
> w=`echo $tvline | cut -d " " -f 2 | cut -d ":" -f 2`
> h=`echo $tvline | cut -d " " -f 3 | cut -d ":" -f 2`
>

> echo "vid1 t:none" > /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/overlays
> fbset -fb /dev/fb1 -xres $w -vxres $w -yres $h -vyres $h
> echo "vid1 t:tv w:$w h:$h e:1"
> > /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/overlays
> echo "tv e:1" > /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/displays
>

> This seems to enable PAL output on the S-Video on my board.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) How do I make the S-Video output NTSC-M

NTSC is not supported by the current version. Next version will support
it.

> 2) How do I send content to the S-Video display, like an xterm

For cloning the DVI output to TV, I think there's an example in DSS2
documentation. But you shouldn't use fb1 for that because Xv uses fb1 if
I recall right.

For independent use of tv-out you need to use the framebuffer as you
would use the fb0. Perhaps starting a new X server for it, or something
similar. I don't know =).

Tomi

Brian Phelps

Feb 11, 2009, 8:26:54 AM2/11/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:01 AM, Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.va...@nokia.com> wrote:

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 03:42 +0100, ext Brian Phelps wrote:
> I am using the latest Angstrom demo w/ 2.6.28-omap1
>
> I have video on s-video, but it seems to be PAL instead of NTSC.  I
> also have no idea how to send my destop or anything for that matter.
> When I run enlightenment the background does seem to take the
> background I see in the x11vnc window, but thats it.
>
> I used the following to set it (with some minor modifications):
>          tvline=`cat /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/displays |grep tv`
>          w=`echo $tvline | cut -d " " -f 2 | cut -d ":" -f 2`
>          h=`echo $tvline | cut -d " " -f 3 | cut -d ":" -f 2`
>

>          echo "vid1 t:none" > /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/overlays
>          fbset -fb /dev/fb1 -xres $w -vxres $w -yres $h -vyres $h
>          echo "vid1 t:tv w:$w h:$h e:1"
>         > /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/overlays
>          echo "tv e:1" > /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/displays
>

> This seems to enable PAL output on the S-Video on my board.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) How do I make the S-Video output NTSC-M

NTSC is not supported by the current version. Next version will support
it.
Does anyone else know where to find more info on this?  Is this a kernel/driver level issue?  I see a version of 2.6.22 on google code has NTSC, but no Angstrom distribution to support it, just a busybox ramdisk.

> 2) How do I send content to the S-Video display, like an xterm

For cloning the DVI output to TV, I think there's an example in DSS2
documentation. But you shouldn't use fb1 for that because Xv uses fb1 if
I recall right.

For independent use of tv-out you need to use the framebuffer as you
would use the fb0. Perhaps starting a new X server for it, or something
similar. I don't know =).

It really doesn't matter if it is independent output or cloned, I just want to know how I can put something, anything on it.  Do you have any more info on how to do this.  I have searched the list archives and google for this quite extensively.

 Tomi

Tomi Valkeinen

Feb 11, 2009, 8:56:22 AM2/11/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

I have already written support with switching the mode, but I haven't
published a new version of DSS2 yet.

2.6.22 was using the old display subsystem driver.

> > 2) How do I send content to the S-Video display, like an
> xterm
>

> For cloning the DVI output to TV, I think there's an example
> in DSS2
> documentation. But you shouldn't use fb1 for that because Xv
> uses fb1 if
> I recall right.
>
> For independent use of tv-out you need to use the framebuffer
> as you
> would use the fb0. Perhaps starting a new X server for it, or
> something
> similar. I don't know =).
>
> It really doesn't matter if it is independent output or cloned, I just
> want to know how I can put something, anything on it. Do you have any
> more info on how to do this. I have searched the list archives and
> google for this quite extensively.

Search more =). I think there have been many emails about it. Not long
ago Koen emailed DSS2 documentation to the list also.

You can put something, anything to tv with

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/fb1

(or fb2, depending how you set it up)

Tomi

Koen Kooi

Feb 11, 2009, 9:01:20 AM2/11/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
PGP.sig

Brian Phelps

Feb 11, 2009, 11:27:42 AM2/11/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I agree searching more is the correct answer, but knowing not what to search for besides NTSC and S-Video in the lists and you get nothing.  I searched google and the lists for hours and found nothing but what I posted above!  I had no idea DSS2 was where this is documented.  This should be in one of the FAQ's or wiki's, but it is not.  The wiki info seems to be for the google code image which does not have angstrom support.

You can put something, anything to tv with

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/fb1

(or fb2, depending how you set it up)

 Tomi
I guess my question was, how do I get something useful on S-Video out like xterm or gnometris on the S-Video.  Thats an interesting way of putting data on to video though.  Doesn't  Xorg need to be set up to use this /dev/fb1?

Brian Phelps

Feb 11, 2009, 11:29:22 AM2/11/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
great thank you Koen!  I just had no idea what to search for.  Thank you for your patioence.