VDR running on BB/Angström (though it's still cross-country...)

T. Brinkmann

Oct 25, 2009, 9:06:29 AM10/25/09
to Beagle Board
Hi!

I'd like to inform you that I've managed to set up the Video Disk
Recorder (VDR) [1] software on my BB running Angström. However, as my
USB-DVB-T-receiver isn't a "full-featured" device, I still have to use
MPlayer for local video output. The major disadvantage of that
approach is that VDR's OSD isn't directly accessible. Therefore it
would be nice to find a way to teach VDR to use the omap-framebuffer
in a more direct manner. I've had a look at VDR's softdevice-plugin,
however, until now I haven't been able to compile that - neither
natively nor as described in the Angström wiki [2].

I guess a program for watching, streaming and recording tv (and many
other things via plugin) might be interesting for other people as well
and if there's anyone out there who knows how to make VDR use the BB's
video hardware properly - please share your thoughts! (Unfortunately,
there's only an experimental VDR plugin for gstreamer [3] - I haven't
yet had a look at it).

Regards,

T. Brinkmann

[1] http://www.tvdr.de/
[2] http://linuxtogo.org/gowiki/CompilingYourOwnCode
[3] a) http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/Gstreamer-plugin (in
German)
b) http://rsync16.de.gentoo.org/files/vdr-gstreamer/

PaulePanter

Nov 3, 2009, 9:45:02 AM11/3/09
to Beagle Board
Dear T.,

On 25 Okt., 14:06, "T. Brinkmann" <mynameisnob...@nord-com.net> wrote:
> I'd like to inform you that I've managed to set up the Video Disk
> Recorder (VDR) [1] software on my BB running Angström.

These are great news. Just in time. Strange I did not find your post
yesterday. So I created a new thread [4].

> However, as my
> USB-DVB-T-receiver isn't a "full-featured" device,

What device do you use?

> I still have to use
> MPlayer for local video output. The major disadvantage of that
> approach is thatVDR'sOSD isn't directly accessible. Therefore it
> would be nice to find a way to teachVDRto use the omap-framebuffer
> in a more direct manner. I've had a look atVDR'ssoftdevice-plugin,
> however, until now I haven't been able to compile that - neither
> natively nor as described in the Angström wiki [2].
>
> I guess a program for watching, streaming and recording tv (and many
> other things via plugin) might be interesting for other people as well

Yes, I am one of those.

> and if there's anyone out there who knows how to makeVDRuse the BB's
> video hardware properly - please share your thoughts!

Unfortunately I am not one of those. :(

> (Unfortunately,
> there's only an experimentalVDRplugin for gstreamer [3] - I haven't
> yet had a look at it).

I am very interested in more details. Did you write it down somewhere?
Is there a Wiki for this kind of stuff?

1. What hardware components (SD card, power supply, …) did you use
exactly?
2. What exact software versions did you use?
3. Besides the OSD issues, does everything work?
4. How fast does it boot?

Lucky me to find someone having gone through the trouble already.
Thanks a lot,

Paul
[4] http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/browse_thread/thread/369302c3018b9634