Angstrom S-Video support on C4 BB

anaksus

Jan 11, 2011, 8:53:35 AM1/11/11
to Beagle Board
Hi there,

Can you guys please help me get an overview of the s-video situation
on the BB C4 under Angstrom?
The various threads about s-video seem to suggest that there is no
support for s-video in the Angstrom-Images I can build using Narcissus
and have to build my own image using OE and a patch. Is that the case?
Are the bootargs to activate the tv-out only useful with such a
patched build? If so, is that only if I want to use the s-video for my
primary/only display or do I also need a special build like that If I
want to only use the s-video out for certain things in my programs?
Where should a newby like me best start in order to get the hang of
using s-video to output stuff from simple programs?
Thanks a lot in advance for your help, it will be much appreciated!
Regards,
anaksus

Koen Kooi

Jan 11, 2011, 9:21:35 AM1/11/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 11 jan 2011, om 14:53 heeft anaksus het volgende geschreven:

> Hi there,
>
> Can you guys please help me get an overview of the s-video situation
> on the BB C4 under Angstrom?
> The various threads about s-video seem to suggest that there is no
> support for s-video in the Angstrom-Images I can build using Narcissus

S-video support has been there in angstrom for *years*

Robert Nelson

Jan 11, 2011, 9:12:15 AM1/11/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

For usage as the primary screen, have you tried changing your bootargs?

ntsc: omapfb.mode=tv:ntsc omapdss.def_disp=tv
pal: omapfb.mode=tv:pal omapdss.def_disp=tv

i know other users got it working...

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Michael J. Hammel

Jan 11, 2011, 10:54:41 AM1/11/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 05:53 -0800, anaksus wrote:
> Can you guys please help me get an overview of the s-video situation
> on the BB C4 under Angstrom?

I can't speak for the Angstrom images since I haven't been using them
(though I plan to in the near future, for comparison). But if you cross
compile your own kernel and try to follow the Angstrom recipes it wasn't
quite clear how they got it working. At least not to me. I mucked with
it for quite some time before I found the DSS2 git tree:

git://gitorious.org/linux-omap-dss2/linux.git

This appears to be the tree for bleeding edge DSS2 development. This
tree worked as I expected it to using both DSS2 and the kernel command
args. No patches required (well, not for DSS2/TV-out support). Trying
the Angstrom kernel with the Angstrom patches didn't seem to work. I
probably just wasn't doing something right there.

> Are the bootargs to activate the tv-out only useful with such a
> patched build?

The bootargs are, I believe, specific to DSS2 support. Angstrom appears
to use a kernel with DSS1 support and then patches it to get DSS2.

> If so, is that only if I want to use the s-video for my
> primary/only display or do I also need a special build like that If I
> want to only use the s-video out for certain things in my programs?

There are a series of items you have to get aligned to get video out to
the TV if its not your primary display, though on the surface (having
not tried that) it doesn't appear that difficult. See the DSS2 notes:

http://gitorious.org/linux-omap-dss2/linux/blobs/master/Documentation/arm/OMAP/DSS

Hope that help.s
--
Michael J. Hammel Principal Software Engineer
mjha...@graphics-muse.org http://graphics-muse.org

anaksus

Jan 18, 2011, 11:29:30 AM1/18/11
to Beagle Board
Thanks a lot for your replies guys, much appreciated!

I got s-video working with the boot args. The only problems are a
crass flicker on the screen and that the borders are cut off. My
complete bootargs are as follows: setenv bootargs
"console=ttyS2,115200n8 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootfstype=ext3
rootwait omapfb.mode=tv:ntsc omapdss.def_disp=tv
omapdss.tvcable=composite"

Do you think the flickering screen might be a result of my using an s-
video to composite cable? I get the same result for both NTSC and PAL
on my optoma pk101 picoprojector. If I move the mouse to the bottom/
top cut off part of the screen the vertical position of the screen
jumps around like an old tv.

Does anyone know the reason for the cut off screen and/or how to fix
it on angstrom? I know this topic has come up before but I haven't
found a solution elsewhere as yet.

Regards,
anaksus

arun kalmanje

Jan 18, 2011, 4:30:42 PM1/18/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Are you using LCD or old CRT based TV?

Screen cut off is something that is normal on CRT based televisions. S-video to a LCD TV will work fine. On old TV's You need to ensure in your software to display at the center and not to go to edges.

also flicker is again character of the S-video, it is amplified more with S-video to composite convertor. I think, there is nothing that you can do about this

anaksus

Jan 21, 2011, 7:36:41 AM1/21/11
to Beagle Board
Hi arun, I'm not using a crt screen, Im using a picoprojektor, the
pk101 from Optoma. Anyway, it does sort of seem strange to me that the
rather new projektor gets or makes such a bad image out of the s-video
signal, havent found the cause so far.

Anyone know how to adjust the software screen width/height in
angstrom?