uImage with fix for alsa crash

Koen Kooi

Sep 25, 2008, 9:10:59 AM9/25/08
to Beagle Board
Hi,

The angstrom uImage[1] has been update to fix the alsa crash.

regards,

Koen

[1] http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/demo/beagleboard/uImage

doug....@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2008, 3:02:19 PM9/29/08
to Beagle Board

On Sep 25, 6:10 am, Koen Kooi <koen.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The angstrom uImage[1] has been update to fix the alsa crash.

for some reason that uImage didn't work with my USB network device
when I went to scp over a sound file for testing. When I copied the
older uImage and rebooted, the USB networking was there again.

Will copy over a file now, try the ALSA-fix one and try to play the
file and post back.

doug....@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2008, 3:28:25 PM9/29/08
to Beagle Board

On Sep 25, 6:10 am, Koen Kooi <koen.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The angstrom uImage[1] has been update to fix the alsa crash.

I still get the crash and I tried:
mplayer -ao oss -nosound palinLordMakeAWay.wav
mplayer palinLordMakeAWay.wav
cat palinLordMakeAWay.wav > /dev/dsp
tried changing the system sound settings and clicking the "Test"
button

they all ended with a locked up system.

PaulG

Sep 30, 2008, 3:43:09 AM9/30/08
to Beagle Board

I have also downloaded and tried the 'fixed' uImage and have had the
same results.

it crashes unless -nosound is used :o(

Paul

Koen Kooi

Sep 30, 2008, 3:45:00 PM9/30/08
to Beagle Board
On 30 sep, 09:43, PaulG <pjge...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have also downloaded and tried the 'fixed' uImage and have had the
> same results.

Could you try
http://ewi546.ewi.utwente.nl/~koen/uImage-2.6.26+2.6.27-rc7+r9+gite1c49d7d22af768188e2a54c167ed79919361e55-r9-beagleboard.bin
?

That seems to fix the issue for more people than the .26 kernel. It's
still a band-aid, since the root cause hasn't been found or fixed yet.
Matching modules-<version>.tgz is in the same dir.

regards,

Koen

PaulG

Oct 1, 2008, 5:31:30 AM10/1/08
to Beagle Board

The .27 kernel does fix my problem and i can finally hear sound!
band-aid or not - it works so i'm happy.

Thanks,

Paul

On Sep 30, 8:45 pm, Koen Kooi <koen.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 sep, 09:43, PaulG <pjge...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have also downloaded and tried the 'fixed' uImage and have had the
> > same results.
>
> Could you tryhttp://ewi546.ewi.utwente.nl/~koen/uImage-2.6.26+2.6.27-rc7+r9+gite1c...
> ?
>
> That seems to fix the issue for more people than the .26 kernel. It's
> still a band-aid, since the root cause hasn't been found or fixed yet.
> Matching modules-<version>.tgz is in the same dir.
>
> regards,
>
> Koen
>

> > it crashes unless -nosound is used :o(
>
> > Paul

> > > I still get the crash and I tried:
> > > mplayer -ao oss -nosound palinLordMakeAWay.wav
> > > mplayer palinLordMakeAWay.wav
> > > cat palinLordMakeAWay.wav > /dev/dsp
> > > tried changing the system sound settings and clicking the "Test"
> > > button
>
> > > they all ended with a locked up system.- Hide quoted text -

Geof Cohler

Oct 1, 2008, 11:38:51 AM10/1/08
to Beagle Board
Hi,

I tried this 27 kernel together with the 20080920 rootfs. And the
sound works fine. But my DVI-D output no longer works -- i.e. my
monitor complains about the signal being out of range and shuts
off. :-)

So to summarize my findings:
- The 2008-09-25 uImage works well with the 2008-09-20 rootfs -- but
any Alsa output causes a kernel panic crash.
- The 26-27 - r9 uImage has sound, but doesn't run the monitor / X
etc.

Now if we could combine the best characteristics of each uImage, we'd
be home.

Best regards,
Geof