DVI Input to Beagleboard-xm

Katelyn

Mar 21, 2011, 1:32:15 PM3/21/11
to Beagle Board
Hello -

I need to get DVI input to the Beagleboard-xm. I understand that I
can do this through the LCD header expansion. Is there an expansion
board available that will allow me to do this?

If not, what exactly would developing such support entail?

I could also use a DVI to usb adapter, but I would prefer for the
solution to be more cost effective if possible.

Thanks,
Katelyn

Gerald Coley

Mar 21, 2011, 3:52:06 PM3/21/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
The LCD expansion headers are outputs, the same signals that drive the DVI-D output on the connector. Are you wanting to send DVI or receive DVI on the board?

Gerald

Katelyn Thode

Mar 21, 2011, 4:32:20 PM3/21/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I want to receive DVI on the board.  I have a camera that outputs DVI and I want to send that into the board.

Katelyn

On 03/21/11, Gerald Coley wrote:
> The LCD expansion headers are outputs, the same signals that drive the DVI-D output on the connector. Are you wanting to send DVI or receive DVI on the board?
>

> Gerald
>

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Katelyn <kth...@wisc.edu <kth...@wisc.edu>> wrote:
>

> > Hello -
> >
> > I need to get DVI input to the Beagleboard-xm.  I understand that I
> > can do this through the LCD header expansion.  Is there an expansion
> >

> > board available that will allow me to do this?
> >
> > If not, what exactly would developing such support entail?
> >
> > I could also use a DVI to usb adapter, but I would prefer for the
> > solution to be more cost effective if possible.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Katelyn

Vladimir Pantelic

Mar 21, 2011, 4:41:47 PM3/21/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On 03/21/2011 09:32 PM, Katelyn Thode wrote:
> I want to receive DVI on the board. I have a camera that outputs DVI and I want to send that into the board.

you could maybe do that using the camera connector on the BB XM and
some "glue" logic that would convert your DVI signal to something
the CCDC understands.

Gerald Coley

Mar 21, 2011, 4:40:12 PM3/21/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
The best way to do that would be to design a board that connects to the camera connector or find a DVI to USB converter. Those are the only two ports on the board that could be used to receive that type of information.

Gerald

Katelyn Thode

Mar 21, 2011, 5:01:15 PM3/21/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
What would all go into designing a board to connect to the camera connector, ie what components would I need?

On 03/21/11, Gerald Coley wrote:
> The best way to do that would be to design a board that connects to the camera connector or find a DVI to USB converter. Those are the only two ports on the board that could be used to receive that type of information.
>

> Gerald
>

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Katelyn Thode <kth...@wisc.edu <kth...@wisc.edu>> wrote:
>

> > I want to receive DVI on the board.  I have a camera that outputs DVI and I want to send that into the board.
> >

> > Katelyn
> >

> > On 03/21/11, Gerald Coley   wrote:
> > > The LCD expansion headers are outputs, the same signals that drive the DVI-D output on the connector. Are you wanting to send DVI or receive DVI on the board?
> >

> > > Gerald

Gerald Coley

Mar 21, 2011, 6:09:46 PM3/21/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
That is something that would require a full up design. You would need a DVI-D to parallal converter. Then there is the bit issue. DVI-D is 24 bits, but there are only 12 bits on the camera inteface, so you may need to do some muxing. Then there is the question of framerate tht you need. It will not be na easy task.

Gerald