BeagleBone Rev. A4 ethernet issue

Bert Lindner

Jan 26, 2012, 10:18:08 AM1/26/12
to Beagle Board
Just received my long awaited Beaglebone. It's Rev. A4, S/N
0312BB000031. I can't get it to see or send traffic over ethernet. I
can login over SSH via USB ethernet. The MAC address reported for eth0
is D4:94:A1:52:1C:65.

The Angstrom OS, the BB ethernet lights and the switch/AP at the other
end of the patch cable (Netgear N600 WNDR3700v2) all see link when the
cable is plugged and no link when it's pulled. Switch and BB also
agree it's a 100Mbit/full link. Angstrom reports
PHY: 0:00 - Link is Up - 100 /Full
PHY: 0:00 - Link is Down
on cable in/out. The Netgear is usually very tolerant with various
ethernet devices and happily hands out DHCP leases to whoever asks. I
would not expect link negotiation or DHCP timing issues. The BB
ethernet status leds light up together (orange+green) soon after cable
plugged and stay on until immediately after cable pulled.

Tried with a different, older SMC box with built-in switch and DHCP
server. Same story.

The demo Angstrom image supplied was 2011.11. I've upgraded to
Angstrom-Cloud9-IDE-eglibc-ipk-v2012.01-core-beaglebone-2012.01.11
(copy paste from current info.txt) but that has not resolved the
issue.

If I issue 'ifup eth0' via the USB connection, udhcpc tries to get a
DHCP lease but gets no answer. At the same time the DHCP server (the
Netgear) sees no request, and neither does my laptop when tcpdumping
on the same segment.

If I manually assign an address on eth0 belonging to the range active
on that segment, there is still silence on both ends, no ping replies,
no traffic visible. Command issued:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.x.y netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig then reports a normal eth0 configuration. Adding a default gw
doesn't change anything, it's not even visible. I've also tried an
extra explicit 'ifconfig eth0 up', no difference.

Any suggestions? I guess there's something wrong with the hardware and
I need to request an RMA with the Austrian distributor?

-Bert

Gerald Coley

Jan 26, 2012, 2:54:22 PM1/26/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
If the Link is up, it is not likely a HW issue. I would go after a SW solution first. We have had other reports of similar operation. Everything looks fine. RX and TX packets sent and received, but issue with DHCP server giving IP address. If you do a ifconfig, what do you get back?

Gerald

-Bert

Bert Lindner

Jan 26, 2012, 7:58:19 PM1/26/12
to Beagle Board
Hello Gerald, thanks for the quick reply,

On Jan 26, 8:54 pm, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> If the Link is up, it is not likely a HW issue. I would go after a SW
> solution first. We have had other reports of similar operation. Everything
> looks fine. RX and TX packets sent and received, but issue with DHCP server
> giving IP address. If you do a ifconfig, what do you get back?

See below.

... just installed tcpdump on it, and it does indeed see packets from
the other end of the cable. So you are right, the hardware works and
the software doesn't, yet. Investigating, I'll figure it out. Maybe
DHCP client or server are somehow picky, although it should have
worked with manual IP address.

Thanks,

-Bert

root@beaglebone:~# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr D4:94:A1:52:1C:65
inet addr:169.254.35.27 Bcast:169.254.255.255 Mask:
255.255.0.0
inet6 addr: fe80::d694:a1ff:fe52:1c65/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:64 (64.0 B) TX bytes:11688 (11.4 KiB)
Interrupt:40

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:684 (684.0 B) TX bytes:684 (684.0 B)

usb0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 42:A4:C6:AE:73:E2
inet addr:192.168.7.2 Bcast:192.168.7.3 Mask:
255.255.255.252
inet6 addr: fe80::40a4:c6ff:feae:73e2/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:11095 (10.8 KiB) TX bytes:10037 (9.8 KiB)

Gerald Coley

Jan 26, 2012, 8:08:12 PM1/26/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I know. Give us some time to figure this one out. The boards pass our production tests, but we are seeing this issue as well. It is most likely some sort of SW issue, but we do not know what is triggering it.

Gerald

Gerald Coley

Jan 26, 2012, 8:48:37 PM1/26/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
We added a resistor R219 to fix the Yellow LED to be on when at 100M. Per the SMSC data sheet, it would only affect pin 18 on the PHY, one that we do not use. Evidently, it is doing something else.

If you are comfortable doing so, you can remove R219 and that should get you going. It is right under the RJ45 connector. We are also looking at a SW fix to write over which ever bit is getting messed up by this change. Once we have that working, we will be making it available.

Gerald

inanc64

Jan 26, 2012, 5:20:46 PM1/26/12
to Beagle Board
Same problem here.

I tried two different builds (the newest one and an older one )
Speedtouch modem and 3com gigabit switch.
When I enable static IP on the BeagleBone and send an ping broadcast,
on my seitch is only the led blinking of my BeagleBone and not all the
ports.

Never had any network problems before at home.

The BeagleBone ethernet doesn't work for me.

Raphael Bustin

Jan 26, 2012, 10:35:01 PM1/26/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I have tried the procedure outlined at

http://circuitco.com/support/index.php?title=BeagleBoard

for my Beagleboard Rev. C5 board.  It is only partly
successful.  To wit:  with the SD card produced by
this procedure, I can boot into a nice Angstrom desktop,
but not (subsequently) from NAND.

On NAND boots, console (UART) input is almost always
ignored, and the boot process invariably ends in kernel panic:

[ 16.623596] regulator_init_complete: incomplete constraints, leaving VDAC on
[ 16.631378] omap_vout omap_vout: probed for an unknown device
[ 16.637512] UBIFS error (pid 1): ubifs_get_sb: cannot open "ubi0:beagleboard-rootfs", error -19
[ 16.646331] VFS: Cannot open root device "ubi0:beagleboard-rootfs" or unknown-block(0,0)
[ 16.654510] Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
[ 16.662963] 1f00 512 mtdblock0 (driver?)
[ 16.667999] 1f01 1920 mtdblock1 (driver?)
[ 16.673004] 1f02 128 mtdblock2 (driver?)
[ 16.678039] 1f03 4096 mtdblock3 (driver?)
[ 16.683074] 1f04 517632 mtdblock4 (driver?)
[ 16.688079] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Can anyone point me at a simple, coherent and known-good
procedure for restoring NAND to factory default state?  I've
searched the web, but I've come to distrust almost everything
I read on this topic.

I'm not looking for a complete bootable image.  Ideally this would
be an SD card with exactly one file: an MLO specifically designed
to restore NAND and drop me back to the u-boot prompt.

/rafe

Gerald Coley

Jan 26, 2012, 10:41:48 PM1/26/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Are you holding the user button for the full 10 seconds?

Gerald

rafe_b

Jan 27, 2012, 12:19:51 AM1/27/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Gerald. I think it might take more than 10 seconds,
but at some point (while still holding the button down) I noticed
some serious NAND activity going on that I hadn't seen before.

But YAY, I can boot from NAND now. Thanks again.

/Rafe

Bert Lindner

Jan 27, 2012, 4:13:38 AM1/27/12
to Beagle Board

On Jan 27, 2:48 am, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> We added a resistor R219 to fix the Yellow LED to be on when at 100M. Per
> the SMSC data sheet, it would only affect pin 18 on the PHY, one that we do
> not use. Evidently, it is doing something else.
>
> If you are comfortable doing so, you can remove R219 and that should get
> you going. It is right under the RJ45 connector. We are also looking at a
> SW fix to write over which ever bit is getting messed up by this change.
> Once we have that working, we will be making it available.

Gerald, thanks a lot, removed R219 and the issue goes away, the
ethernet interface now works as expected! -Bert

Bas Laarhoven

Jan 27, 2012, 4:16:27 AM1/27/12
to public-beagleboard-/...@plane.gmane.org

On 27-1-2012 2:48, Gerald Coley wrote:
> We added a resistor R219 to fix the Yellow LED to be on when at 100M.
> Per the SMSC data sheet, it would only affect pin 18 on the PHY, one
> that we do not use. Evidently, it is doing something else.
> If you are comfortable doing so, you can remove R219 and that should get
> you going. It is right under the RJ45 connector. We are also looking at
> a SW fix to write over which ever bit is getting messed up by this
> change. Once we have that working, we will be making it available.
> Gerald

Hi Gerald,

Is R219 present on newer (A4) boards only? I'm unable to locate it
neither on the (A3) board nor in the schematics.

-- Bas

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org

> <mailto:gerald-hcmAuCOw+vXj4SYmN/TM...@public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>
> Yes. I know. Give us some time to figure this one out. The boards
> pass our production tests, but we are seeing this issue as well. It
> is most likely some sort of SW issue, but we do not know what is
> triggering it.
> Gerald
>

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Bert Lindner

> <bertlindner-Re5JQ...@public.gmane.org

> <mailto:bertlindner-Re5JQ...@public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>
> Hello Gerald, thanks for the quick reply,
>
> On Jan 26, 8:54 pm, Gerald Coley

> <ger...-hcmAuCOw+vXj4SYmN/TM...@public.gmane.org

> beagleboard-/JYPxA39Uh5...@public.gmane.org
> <mailto:beagleboard-/JYPxA39Uh5...@public.gmane.org>.

> beagleboard...@googlegroups.com

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard?hl=en.
>

> --

> beagleboard-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6Z...@public.gmane.org

Gerald Coley

Jan 27, 2012, 7:42:50 AM1/27/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
It could be more than 10 seconds, but that always seemed to work.

Gerald

Gerald Coley

Jan 27, 2012, 7:48:49 AM1/27/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
This is only applies to A4 boards.

On the A3 boards we have seen a couple of instances where the reset line is sitting at 1.6V. This is caused by the reset button on the board having a low resistance path of around 20K. If this is the case, it can cause the SMSC PHY to reset which will cause the link to drop,

Gerald

   <mailto:bertl...@gmail.com>> wrote:

       Hello Gerald, thanks for the quick reply,

       On Jan 26, 8:54 pm, Gerald Coley

       For more options, visit this group at
       http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard?hl=en.

ina...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2012, 1:16:59 PM1/27/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Oke thanks for the info, I give it a try.

Hermann Fellner

Jan 27, 2012, 12:09:58 PM1/27/12
to Beagle Board
I also have a Rev. A4 board I received yesterday and experience the
exact same problem - switch shows 100 MBit/s link but no network
connection whatsoever is possible (dchp sees no replies and neither do
pings using a statically configured IP address). I have identified the
R219 resistor under the RJ45 connector, but I am not comfortable
removing it - is that even possible without special equipment?

Hermann

On Jan 27, 2:48 am, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> We added a resistor R219 to fix the Yellow LED to be on when at 100M. Per
> the SMSC data sheet, it would only affect pin 18 on the PHY, one that we do
> not use. Evidently, it is doing something else.
>
> If you are comfortable doing so, you can remove R219 and that should get
> you going. It is right under the RJ45 connector. We are also looking at a
> SW fix to write over which ever bit is getting messed up by this change.
> Once we have that working, we will be making it available.
>
> Gerald
>
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org>wrote:
>

> > Yes. I know. Give us some time to figure this one out. The boards pass our
> > production tests, but we are seeing this issue as well. It is most
> > likely some sort of SW issue, but we do not know what is triggering it.
>
> > Gerald

Gerald Coley

Jan 27, 2012, 2:28:48 PM1/27/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Well, you can just smash it if you like. It is delicate.  Needle nose pliers work fine. You could probable just twist it off with some tweezers as well. It won't violate your warranty.

Or you can wait until we figure this out.

We have noticed that after a power on boot, you can type "reboot" and then it will work. But, if you type "reboot" again, it will not work. It basically works every other time after a reboot.

Gerald

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM, <ina...@gmail.com> wrote:
Oke thanks for the info, I give it a try.

georg

Jan 27, 2012, 4:53:19 PM1/27/12
to Beagle Board

> We have noticed that after a power on boot, you can type "reboot" and then
> it will work. But, if you type "reboot" again, it will not work. It
> basically works every other time after a reboot.

Hmm, interesting, I haven't noticed this on my board – I could swear
I've rebooted a lot, but Ethernet never worked for me before I
desoldered R219.

Than again, I always reboot with "init 6" rather than "reboot" –
Gerald, could you try this (init 6 vs. reboot). If I remember
correctly, and the former doesn't trigger the works/doesn't work
cycle, then maybe analyzing the differences between these two could be
fruitful.

Cheers,
Georg

Gerald Coley

Jan 27, 2012, 10:08:51 PM1/27/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I will give that a try tomorrow and see what happens.

Gerald

Hermann Fellner

Jan 28, 2012, 6:12:35 AM1/28/12
to Beagle Board
I've rebooted my board many times (using "reboot"), but I've never got
ethernet to work. I even tried connecting the same cable to a
different device to verify the connection is okay, but that worked.

Thanks for the info about removing R219, I'll probably do that if I
get impatient, but for now I'll just wait to see if a software
solution can be found.

Hermann

flymac

Jan 29, 2012, 11:23:08 AM1/29/12
to Beagle Board
Hello,
I got my rev A4 board last week and experience the same problem. I
really don't see myself removing that R219 so I'll wait for a SW
fix :)
By the way, even rebooting multiple times does not work.
Many thanks in advance for finding a fix, that would be great.
Kevin

Boris

Jan 30, 2012, 3:44:07 AM1/30/12
to Beagle Board
I can confirm, that ethernet works after reboot on my rev A4 board.
I've also noticed, that issue is not present if you connect the board
to a 10 mbps ethernet hub. In that case ethernet works every time.

Boris

XLin

Jan 31, 2012, 4:43:23 AM1/31/12
to Beagle Board
Thanks for the suggestion. I eventually decided to smash the R219 and
ethnet works even since.

On Jan 27, 1:48 am, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> We added a resistor R219 to fix the Yellow LED to be on when at 100M. Per
> the SMSC data sheet, it would only affect pin 18 on the PHY, one that we do
> not use. Evidently, it is doing something else.
>
> If you are comfortable doing so, you can remove R219 and that should get
> you going. It is right under the RJ45 connector. We are also looking at a
> SW fix to write over which ever bit is getting messed up by this change.
> Once we have that working, we will be making it available.
>
> Gerald
>
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org>wrote:
>

> > Yes. I know. Give us some time to figure this one out. The boards pass our
> > production tests, but we are seeing this issue as well. It is most
> > likely some sort of SW issue, but we do not know what is triggering it.
>
> > Gerald

Gerald Coley

Jan 31, 2012, 8:59:57 AM1/31/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good. I hope we can get a SW fix soon!

Gerald

--
To join: http://beagleboard.org/discuss

frankroeske

Jan 31, 2012, 12:09:01 PM1/31/12
to Beagle Board
I can also confirm, that ethernet works only when typed "reboot" after
power on boot on my rev. A4 bbone :(

Al Williams

Feb 1, 2012, 9:04:57 PM2/1/12
to Beagle Board
Just got an A.4 board and spent an hour fiddling with the Ethernet.
Reboot did not do it. However, snapping off the resistor seems to have
fixed it.

At least I am able to see the IDE and ping. Haven't tried everything
but that should be it.

Al W.
http://www.ddj.com/embedded

Gerald Coley

Feb 2, 2012, 8:25:35 AM2/2/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
For now at least. popping the resistor is going to be the recommended fix.

Gerald

Kevin

Feb 2, 2012, 9:59:51 AM2/2/12
to Beagle Board
Hi,
I do not mean to rush, but is there any ETA on this SW fix to have a
rough idea if I should consider removing R219 or preferably wait?
Are you really positive that if something goes wrong removing the
R219, it will not void the warranty (possible to return/exchange the
board) ?
Thanks
Kevin

Gerald Coley

Feb 2, 2012, 10:54:44 AM2/2/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I have no ETA on the SW fixed. So far everyone is baffeled. It may end up being something in the PHY itself. I would pop the resitor,. It will not affect the warranty.

Gerald

Kevin

Feb 2, 2012, 1:25:16 PM2/2/12
to Beagle Board
Thanks a lot for your swift answer. I'll try to pop the resistor then!
Kevin

Nedeljko Miljevic

Feb 3, 2012, 9:44:23 AM2/3/12
to Beagle Board
I attest that removing R219 fixes it.

This only confirms the old embedded theory that hardware problems have
software
solutions and vice versa :)

On Feb 2, 3:04 am, Al Williams <al.willi...@awce.com> wrote:
> Just got an A.4 board and spent an hour fiddling with the Ethernet.
> Reboot did not do it. However, snapping off the resistor seems to have
> fixed it.
>
> At least I am able to see the IDE and ping. Haven't tried everything
> but that should be it.
>
> Al W.http://www.ddj.com/embedded

bkila

Feb 3, 2012, 10:13:34 AM2/3/12
to Beagle Board
Actually, it is not a fix. Ethernet does not work in u-boot even with
R219 removed.

It does resolve the problem once the kernel is up and running though.

Ned

Gerald Coley

Feb 3, 2012, 10:49:55 AM2/3/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Not working in UBoot is definitely a SW question.

Gerald

Koen Kooi

Feb 3, 2012, 11:27:19 AM2/3/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 3 feb. 2012, om 16:13 heeft bkila het volgende geschreven:

> Actually, it is not a fix. Ethernet does not work in u-boot even with
> R219 removed.

are you turning dcache off before trying it?

rickman

Feb 3, 2012, 2:24:04 PM2/3/12
to Beagle Board
I'm surprised that you are recommending that users pop the resistor
off with an icepick. Aren't you concerned that the soldering pads
will come off with the resistor if they don't use an iron? I have
seen this happen unintentionally many times when a part is snagged
while sliding a board into a chassis. The part comes off, but the
pads come off as well. Then it is a major job ever putting the part
back on. Also this can tear the attached trace off all the way to the
next via.

Are the BB boards made differently so that the copper traces are glued
better and stronger than the solder joints? Even the process of
crushing the part with pliers can result in damaged pads.

Rick

Gerald Coley

Feb 3, 2012, 2:32:13 PM2/3/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
If the pad comes off that is fine because the removal of the resistor is permanent. In other words it will not be reinstalled at a later date on this board. The next revision of the board, A5 will not have the resistor installed at all. Then we have a REV A6 coming in a month or two which will have it on there plus another change we are making.
Gerald

bkila

Feb 3, 2012, 4:47:12 PM2/3/12
to Beagle Board
R219 mounting is quite interesting ....
my SMD (de)soldering tool blew away R16 before R219 gave way :)

Gerald Coley

Feb 3, 2012, 7:23:30 PM2/3/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Well, I guess the low tech way is the easy way. The Yellow LED will be off when running at 100M, so removing R16 will not hurt anything. You will never miss it!

Gerald

Tom Lee

Feb 3, 2012, 10:23:58 PM2/3/12
to Beagle Board
Just got my A4 and had the same issue. I snapped off R219 but it
doesn't seem to have helped. Most of the time eth0 comes up in the
ifconfig section of info.txt -- but not always. Sometimes it's just
lo. And when it does show up, it never seems to obtain a DHCP
address.

I haven't yet set up the USB net connection, and I suppose that will
suffice, but it's a bit disappointing to have taken a drastic fix like
snapping off a component and still not have a fix.

On Feb 1, 9:04 pm, Al Williams <al.willi...@awce.com> wrote:
> Just got an A.4 board and spent an hour fiddling with the Ethernet.
> Reboot did not do it. However, snapping off the resistor seems to have
> fixed it.
>
> At least I am able to see the IDE and ping. Haven't tried everything
> but that should be it.
>
> Al W.http://www.ddj.com/embedded

Gerald Coley

Feb 3, 2012, 11:15:05 PM2/3/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
This fix is required. Sounds like you may have another issue with your setup or configuration, but without this drastic fix I can promise, it will not work. So the drastic fix is not all that drastic.

Gerald

bkila

Feb 4, 2012, 3:47:51 AM2/4/12
to Beagle Board
I used some 470R from an old hard disk board so it's back to yellow :)

Turning the dcache really helps, now it works in u-boot too.
So the sequence in u-boot would be:

dcache off
tftp ..............
dcache on

Tried it a dozen times without a glitch.

Ned

rickman

Feb 4, 2012, 3:26:47 PM2/4/12
to Beagle Board
What exactly is the impact on functionality of all this resistor
swapping around? Do you have posted anywhere the details and impacts
of the other planned changes?

Rick

Gerald Coley

Feb 4, 2012, 7:34:27 PM2/4/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On the SMSC we will be adding a 10K resistor to ground. Adding R219 reverses the polarity of the TXER signal inside the PHY, so instead of it being pulled up, via the internal pullup resistor, it will need to be pulled down. At that point we can reinstall R219. Adding the pulldown to pin 18 requires a PCB change.

Gerald

Eric Fort

Feb 4, 2012, 9:07:59 PM2/4/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Rather than removing R219 entirely, might there be a greenwire mod that could be applied to effect pulldown vs pullup?

Eric

Gerald Coley

Feb 4, 2012, 9:22:00 PM2/4/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
You could try tacking a 10K resistor to ground from pin 18 of the SMSC. But, if you mess up the part while doing it, then you will need to get it replaced via an RMA and there could be a charge associated depending on how bad you messed it up. If you end up lifting a pad, then the board is toast,

Gerald

Eric Gero

Feb 4, 2012, 10:54:41 PM2/4/12
to Beagle Board
Is there still a chance for a software fix or is the PCB change the
only option?

Eric

Gerald Coley

Feb 4, 2012, 10:58:56 PM2/4/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I can't be sure, but so far the SW team is at a loss on how to fix it in SW. I think the total solution is a PCB fix. But, if you remove the resistor, then it will work the same as the A3, so there is no loss of function or features. The Yellow LED will be off at 100M. The resistor was added to make the Yellow LED come on at 100M. Without it, it is the same as Rev A3.

Gerald

Kevin

Feb 7, 2012, 5:41:58 PM2/7/12
to Beagle Board
Ethernet now working just fine after removing R219. I used small
splinter/nail pliers to pry it off carefully and it detached easily. I
recommend using a magnifying glass for precision.

Jadefire21

Feb 7, 2012, 6:41:33 PM2/7/12
to Beagle Board
Does anyone here know if there is a way to get the ethernet work (via
static address or other means) that doesn't require modifying the HW?

On Feb 7, 2:41 pm, Kevin <fly...@mac.com> wrote:
> Ethernet now working just fine after removingR219. I used small

Gerald Coley

Feb 7, 2012, 7:22:56 PM2/7/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
There is no SW workaround for this issue at this time and I do not expect there to be one.

Gerald

Gregg D. Harrington

Feb 7, 2012, 6:35:00 PM2/7/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone been able to get the ethernet port working without using DHCP or is the R219 resistor solution the only way to get it to work?

Thanks

Gerald Coley

Feb 7, 2012, 7:24:11 PM2/7/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
This is the only solution that works at this time. I do not expect there to be a SW solution.

Gerald

Kevin

Feb 8, 2012, 10:49:09 AM2/8/12
to Beagle Board
As mentioned in previous posts, you can do "Power on" (5V plugged in)
reboots until it works (use "reboot" while logged in in serial
console). For me it worked like every 3 reboots. DHCP or fixed IP is
independent from the issue as far as I could read and test: once
ethernet HW works, both static and DHCP should work. Make sure you use
Conman (http://www.gigamegablog.com/2012/02/06/beaglebone-linux-101-
assigning-a-static-ip-address-with-connman/) to make a static IP stick.

Thomas Pfeifer

Feb 10, 2012, 2:41:53 PM2/10/12
to Beagle Board
Not sure if anyone else has posted this, but for those not too
comfortable with removing R219, here's a video demonstrating a few
methods of doing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak30G-shiYY

I have Rev A4, and removing R219 worked good here also.

Gregg D. Harrington

Feb 10, 2012, 3:56:30 PM2/10/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
As one of the nervous type, I jumped in and did this a couple of nights. It was easier then I thought. I used a pocket knife and it came off WAY easier then I thought it would.

Pat James

Feb 11, 2012, 8:17:25 PM2/11/12
to Beagle Board
On Feb 7, 4:22 pm, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> There is no SW workaround for this issue at this time and I do not expect
> there to be one.
>
> Gerald

That is a disappointing message.

Is it a hard physical problem with no possible software solution, or
is it going to take too much time and resources (cost) to complete a
software solution?

I just received an A4 from Adafruit and am kinda bummed to find that a
key component, Ethernet, is not working.

Pat

Gerald Coley

Feb 11, 2012, 8:44:49 PM2/11/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
See the link below. And no there is no SW solution at the moment and I do not expect one as it is related to an area inside the PHY that has no SW access from the processor. In other words there is no register in the PHY to write to to fix it.

Be sure and watch the video. It is very easy to fix.

Gerald

Antonio Manuel Abad

Feb 11, 2012, 8:47:21 PM2/11/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, I just went through this procedure with a pair of tweezers,
using the video as a guide. It was very easy to do and it fixed the
ethernet problems on the Beagle Bone that I just got today.

-Tony

John Thorborg

Feb 15, 2012, 2:21:16 PM2/15/12
to Beagle Board
I've just received my BeagleBone yesterday evening so I'm still in the
process of exploring the beast.
I received a A4 revision board, so no 'out of the box' 100mB ethernet
connection.
This mod of adding a 10k resistor really works well!
I soldered a tiny thin wire from pin 18 of the LAN8710 SMSC chip to a
10k SMD resistor which soldered to the unused ground pad of C146 which
is inline of pin18.
This way the yellow LED functionality is like intended.

Thanks Gerald for the tip!

John

Gerald Coley

Feb 15, 2012, 2:33:05 PM2/15/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Rev A6, which is in the works, will have the 10K integrated. Untill then, the LED will be off for 100M operation.
Gerald