no usb detection with new uImage-2.6.29-r46-beagleboard

yossibs

Oct 6, 2009, 8:08:41 PM10/6/09
to Beagle Board
Hello,

Today I decided to update the openembedded tree and to build the
console image, just to be up-to-date.

For some reason the beagle can't read any usb device any more (I am
using a self powered hub):

using Angstrom

root@beagleboard:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: 1d6b:0002
root@beagleboard:~#

root@beagleboard:~# uname -a
Linu Beagleboard 2.6.29-omap1 #1 PREEMPT Tue Oct 6 04:56:47 IST 2009
arm7l unknown
root@beagleboard:~#

My uboot is:
2009.06-rc2 (Jun 18 2009 - 12:55:37)

Any idea what the problem is ?, is there any issue between that kernel
and u-boot versions?
(dmesg shows nothing)

Thanks

Koen Kooi

Oct 7, 2009, 8:00:11 AM10/7/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Is that on a revC or revB?

regards,

Koen

Yossi

Oct 7, 2009, 2:58:00 PM10/7/09
to Beagle Board
revB7

any support issue with that?

On Oct 7, 2:00 pm, Koen Kooi <k...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> Is that on a revC or revB?
>
> regards,
>
> Koen

Kevin Holland

Oct 7, 2009, 5:03:37 PM10/7/09
to beagleboard
I am having the same problem on a Rev B6 board as well.

> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:58:00 -0700
> Subject: [beagleboard] Re: no usb detection with new uImage-2.6.29-r46-beagleboard
> From: bey...@gmail.com
> To: beagl...@googlegroups.com

Yossi

Oct 7, 2009, 5:17:41 PM10/7/09
to Beagle Board

Well, did someone succeed to have usb working with 2.6.29-r46 ?

On Oct 7, 11:03 pm, Kevin Holland <habib...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am having the same problem on a Rev B6 board as well.
>

> > Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:58:00 -0700
> > Subject: [beagleboard] Re: no usb detection with new uImage-2.6.29-r46-beagleboard
> > From: beyo...@gmail.com
> Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection.http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/

Yossi

Oct 7, 2009, 5:18:08 PM10/7/09
to Beagle Board

Well, did someone succeed to have usb working with 2.6.29-r46 ?

On Oct 7, 11:03 pm, Kevin Holland <habib...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am having the same problem on a Rev B6 board as well.
>

> > Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:58:00 -0700
> > Subject: [beagleboard] Re: no usb detection with new uImage-2.6.29-r46-beagleboard
> > From: beyo...@gmail.com

Yossi

Oct 7, 2009, 5:18:48 PM10/7/09
to Beagle Board

Well, did someone succeed to have usb working with 2.6.29-r46 ?

On Oct 7, 11:03 pm, Kevin Holland <habib...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am having the same problem on a Rev B6 board as well.
>

> > Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:58:00 -0700
> > Subject: [beagleboard] Re: no usb detection with new uImage-2.6.29-r46-beagleboard
> > From: beyo...@gmail.com

Koen Kooi

Oct 7, 2009, 5:28:41 PM10/7/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
It works on my b6 and c3 boards...

Yossi

Oct 7, 2009, 5:35:00 PM10/7/09
to Beagle Board
what boot version are you using? (at least on the B6)

On Oct 7, 11:28 pm, Koen Kooi <k...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> It works on my b6 and c3 boards...

Karsten Quist Jensen

Oct 8, 2009, 4:07:41 AM10/8/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I am using U-Boot 2009.06-rc2 and uImage-2.6.29-r47-pm2 on a revC3, and I do not have any problems with USB.

Quist

Yossi Barsheshet

Oct 10, 2009, 5:18:45 PM10/10/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
strange, i am using the same boot version but with revB7 and it
doesn't detect any usb device.
However after installing ubuntu with 2.6.29 - 44, following
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu with jaunty and all usb devices
are detected (nothing changes at the boot or configuration).

This is strange.
Is there a chance it is related to the spefic usb hub i am using?,
though with previouse angstroms it worked well.

I am really prefer to fix this problem as the openembedded environment
is very convinient.

Robert Nelson

Oct 10, 2009, 6:10:05 PM10/10/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Yossi Barsheshet <bey...@gmail.com> wrote:

> strange, i am using the same boot version but with revB7 and it
> doesn't detect any usb device.
> However after installing ubuntu with 2.6.29 - 44, following
> http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu with jaunty and all usb devices
> are detected (nothing changes at the boot or configuration).
>
> This is strange.
> Is there a chance it is related to the spefic usb hub i am using?,
> though with previouse angstroms it worked well.
>
> I am really prefer to fix this problem as the openembedded environment
> is very convinient.

This is about the only defconfig difference between my uImage's and Angstrom's..

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~beagleboard-kernel/%2Bjunk/2.6-stable/annotate/head%3A/patches/002-Disable_CONFIG_Gadget.diff

Basically, Angstrom's startup scripts will insmod(sp?) the otg port
which normally will detect all usb devices on the otg port just fine
(as long as you have the modules installed)..

However i'm usually using a usb based harddisk as root on my older Rev
B's... So the Angstrom boot script doesn't work for me, hence i made
that change...

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

deutschtang

Oct 12, 2009, 1:14:34 AM10/12/09
to Beagle Board
Hi:

I have one board revB5, use openembedded 2.6.29 or use
beagleboard-kernel(branch 2.6-stable) compiled kernel, if I boot the
system with the usb otg connect, the system can't recognize the
devices.
But if I don't connect the usb, after the kernel finished load,
connect the usb. all devices appears.

Regards

Tang YongJun

On Oct 11, 6:10 am, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Yossi Barsheshet <beyo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > strange, i am using the same boot version but with revB7 and it
> > doesn't detect any usb device.
> > However after installing ubuntu with 2.6.29 - 44, following
> >http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntuwith jaunty and all usb devices
> > are detected (nothing changes at the boot or configuration).
>
> > This is strange.
> > Is there a chance it is related to the spefic usb hub i am using?,
> > though with previouse angstroms it worked well.
>
> > I am really prefer to fix this problem as the openembedded environment
> > is very convinient.
>
> This is about the only defconfig difference between my uImage's and Angstrom's..
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~beagleboard-kernel/%2Bjunk/2.6-stable/an...

Yossi Barsheshet

Oct 12, 2009, 4:26:41 AM10/12/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I will give it a try.

yossibs

Oct 12, 2009, 4:27:24 PM10/12/09
to Beagle Board
Thanks Tang,
I gave it a try but it didn't work.
I don't even see any new message at the dmesg log.

maybe I should buy a new revC, though I have several revB7 :(

Regards
Yossi

On Oct 12, 7:14 am, deutschtang <tang...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
>      I have one board revB5, use openembedded 2.6.29 or use
> beagleboard-kernel(branch 2.6-stable) compiled kernel, if I boot the
> system with theusbotg connect, the system can't recognize the
> devices.
>     But if I don't connect theusb, after the kernel finished load,
> connect theusb. all devices appears.
>
> Regards
>
> Tang YongJun
>
> On Oct 11, 6:10 am, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Yossi Barsheshet <beyo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > strange, i am using the same boot version but with revB7 and it
> > > doesn't detect anyusbdevice.
> > > However after installing ubuntu with 2.6.29 - 44, following
> > >http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntuwithjaunty and allusbdevices
> > > are detected (nothing changes at the boot or configuration).
>
> > > This is strange.
> > > Is there a chance it is related to the speficusbhub i am using?,
> > > though with previouse angstroms it worked well.
>
> > > I am really prefer to fix this problem as the openembedded environment
> > > is very convinient.
>
> > This is about the only defconfig difference between my uImage's and Angstrom's..
>
> >http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~beagleboard-kernel/%2Bjunk/2.6-stable/an...
>
> > Basically, Angstrom's startup scripts will insmod(sp?) the otg port
> > which normally will detect allusbdevices on the otg port just fine
> > (as long as you have the modules installed)..
>
> > However i'm usually using ausbbased harddisk as root on my older Rev

deutschtang

Oct 12, 2009, 10:38:41 PM10/12/09
to Beagle Board
I compiled the kernel, and make some change config like beagle-
kernel,

CONFIG_USB_CDC_COMPOSITE=y

If config as the defconfig from openembedded for beagle board . I do
the step like:

unconnect the usb otg.
boot system.
after finished the system boot. connect usb otg.
insert one usb gadget kernel. like "insert /lib/modules/2.6.29-
omap1/kernel/drivers/usb/gadge/g_cdc.ko"

Regards

Tang YongJun

On Oct 13, 4:27 am, yossibs <beyo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tang,
> I gave it a try but it didn't work.
> I don't even see any new message at the dmesg log.
>
> maybe I should buy a new revC, though I have several revB7 :(
>
> Regards
> Yossi
>
> On Oct 12, 7:14 am, deutschtang <tang...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi:
>
> >      I have one board revB5, use openembedded 2.6.29 or use
> > beagleboard-kernel(branch 2.6-stable) compiled kernel, if I boot the
> > system with theusbotg connect, the system can't recognize the
> > devices.
> >     But if I don't connect theusb, after the kernel finished load,
> > connect theusb. all devices appears.
>
> > Regards
>
> > Tang YongJun

Yossi Barsheshet

Oct 28, 2009, 11:01:24 AM10/28/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
well, just to close this issue.
after returning back to that and playing around, it looks like the
problem is with the installment procedure I used.
I extracted the tarball filesystem on my host and then copied the
output to the SD card, and that's look wrong.

The right way to do so is extracting the tarball directly to the SD
card (assuming booting from SD card) using the -C /media/disk as one
of the the tar options.

Thanks.

Wayne

Oct 29, 2009, 6:37:42 AM10/29/09
to Beagle Board
I have been having the exact same issue, though this would appear to
activate the OTG port. Where could I place this command to insmod a
module, so it occurs every time during boot?

Koen Kooi

Oct 29, 2009, 6:42:31 AM10/29/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 29 okt 2009, om 11:37 heeft Wayne het volgende geschreven:

> I have been having the exact same issue, though this would appear to
> activate the OTG port. Where could I place this command to insmod a
> module, so it occurs every time during boot?

opkg install usb-gadget should do that for you. It even has a config
file allowing you to choose which gadget should get loaded on boot.

regards,

Koen

Wayne

Oct 29, 2009, 7:03:13 AM10/29/09