720p Big Buck Bunny trailer not running smoothly with BeagleBoard demo image.

Paul Menzel

Apr 2, 2010, 8:55:15 AM4/2/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Dear BeagleBoard folks,

I tried to play the Big Buck Bunny trailer [1] using the file from the
QuickTime column with 720p/5.1 surround.

Unfortunately running

$ omapfbplay trailer_720p.mov

it is not running smoothly.

I am using the BeagleBoard demo image from [2] updated with `opkg
update; opkg upgrade` as of now.

$ more /proc/cmdline
ttyS2,115200n8 console=tty0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootfstype=ext3 rootwait mem=99M@0x80000000 mem=128M@0x88000000 omapfb.mode=dvi:1280x1024MR-16@60

$ lsmod
Module Size Used by
g_cdc 25332 0
bufferclass_ti 3389 0
omaplfb 8749 0
pvrsrvkm 124731 2 bufferclass_ti,omaplfb
sdmak 3743 0
lpm_omap3530 6597 0
dsplinkk 125541 1 lpm_omap3530
cmemk 20978 0
rfcomm 33488 0
ircomm_tty 30629 0
ircomm 16429 1 ircomm_tty
irda 163469 2 ircomm_tty,ircomm
ipv6 249183 10
hidp 11193 0
l2cap 30104 4 rfcomm,hidp
bluetooth 49221 3 rfcomm,hidp,l2cap
rfkill 15030 1 bluetooth
rtc_twl 4427 0
rtc_core 12599 1 rtc_twl
mailbox_mach 4183 0
mailbox 3609 1 mailbox_mach

What other information do you need to tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/trailer-page/
[2] http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/demo/beagleboard/

signature.asc

Koen Kooi

Apr 2, 2010, 9:19:23 AM4/2/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 2 apr 2010, om 14:55 heeft Paul Menzel het volgende geschreven:

> Dear BeagleBoard folks,
>

> I tried to play the Big Buck Bunny trailer [1] using the file from the
> QuickTime column with 720p/5.1 surround.
>
> Unfortunately running
>
> $ omapfbplay trailer_720p.mov
>
> it is not running smoothly.

You're trying to play the h264 version, which would need DSP assistance (and likely updated DSP codecs) to play smoothly. In the past we used the MPEG4 ASP version: http://mirror.bigbuckbunny.de/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/big_buck_bunny_720p_surround.avi

regards,

Koen

Kai

Apr 2, 2010, 9:21:44 AM4/2/10
to Beagle Board

I suppose you use omapfbplay. The omapfbplay can play only mp4 720p
video at 24fps. But *_720p.mov uses h264. The omapfbplay can not reach
24fps at the moment.

>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

Kai

Apr 2, 2010, 9:44:18 AM4/2/10
to Beagle Board

On Apr 2, 2:19 pm, Koen Kooi <k...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> Op 2 apr 2010, om 14:55 heeft Paul Menzel het volgende geschreven:
>
> > Dear BeagleBoard folks,
>
> > I tried to play the Big Buck Bunny trailer [1] using the file from the
> > QuickTime column with 720p/5.1 surround.
>
> > Unfortunately running
>
> >    $ omapfbplay trailer_720p.mov
>
> > it is not running smoothly.
>

> You're trying to play the h264 version, which would need DSP assistance (and likely updated DSP codecs) to play smoothly. In the past we used the MPEG4 ASP version:http://mirror.bigbuckbunny.de/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/big_buck_bunn...
>
> regards,
>
> Koen

IIRC, a TI doc. mentions DSP codec doesn't support 720p for omap3. I
don't know if there is an update since then.