A beagleboard Google Summer of Code?

Koen Kooi

Feb 25, 2009, 11:57:07 AM2/25/09
to Beagle Board
Hi,

What do you all think of entering beagleboard.org as mentoring
organization (if Jason is ok with it) for GSoC2009? It's a nice
opportunity for students to make some money ($4500 the past years) and
getting their hands dirty with opensource work.

regards,

Koen

PGP.sig

Philip Balister

Feb 25, 2009, 12:15:33 PM2/25/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

+1. I hope the video of the GSoC talk at FOSDEM is posted soon. It has
some useful information in it.

The first step is to identify people willing to mentor students and a
list of projects. The projects should be "code heavy".

Of the top of my head, I'd like someone to try converting the code in
the simd directory in fftw to use NEON.

Philip

Jason Kridner

Feb 25, 2009, 10:59:13 PM2/25/09
to Beagle Board
On Feb 25, 11:15 am, Philip Balister <philip.balis...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I think that sounds great! According to the rules, there needs to be
a single administrator contact.

http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2009/faqs.html#0_1_mentoring_orgs_52990812492_14255507054617844

Should that be me, or is someone else looking to take the reigns on
this?

Philip Balister

Feb 26, 2009, 8:18:52 AM2/26/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

i don't mind working on the application, but I will need people to
offer to be mentors and provide project ideas.

Before we invest a lot of time on this, are there any people on this
list eligible to work on GSoC projects and that are interested in
Beagle related projects?

Philip

Koen Kooi

Feb 26, 2009, 8:38:17 AM2/26/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

I'm eligible, but I prefer to be a mentor :)

regards,

Koen

PGP.sig

Frans Meulenbroeks

Feb 26, 2009, 12:26:13 PM2/26/09
to Beagle Board

On Feb 26, 2:38 pm, Koen Kooi <k...@beagleboard.org> wrote:

> I'm eligible, but I prefer to be a mentor :)
>
> regards,
>
> Koen

Koen, you can't use the money ?
I'll be more than happy to mentor you :-)

No kidding; I'm not that sure about the qualifications and time
requirements for mentors, but if desired I might dig into this and
decide if I want to take up a mentorship.

FM

Koen Kooi

Feb 26, 2009, 12:36:12 PM2/26/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 26 feb 2009, om 18:26 heeft Frans Meulenbroeks het volgende
geschreven:

> On Feb 26, 2:38 pm, Koen Kooi <k...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm eligible, but I prefer to be a mentor :)
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Koen
>>

> Koen, you can't use the money ?
> I'll be more than happy to mentor you :-)

I sure can sure use the money :) The 'problem' with GSoC is that it
has a timetable modeled after the US summer holiday, which means it's
offset by about 5 weeks with the dutch summer holidays, meaning that
you need to get the first portion done during the time the end of
academic year exams are taking place.

> No kidding; I'm not that sure about the qualifications and time
> requirements for mentors, but if desired I might dig into this and
> decide if I want to take up a mentorship.

The workload for a mentor varies greatly on the subject and student.
The trick is to set concrete goals and monitor the progress to avoid
the student wasting time on things like busybox ash not behaving like
bash.
But you are a teacher, so I suppose that's nothing you haven't heard
before :)

regards,

Koen

PGP.sig

G2

Feb 27, 2009, 6:20:48 AM2/27/09
to Beagle Board, jkri...@beagleboard.org
I volunteer to be a mentor.

Jason, I think that you should create a wiki page to collect students,
mentors and projects,

Grégoire
>  PGP.sig
> < 1KViewDownload

Philip Balister

Feb 27, 2009, 7:28:11 AM2/27/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 6:20 AM, G2 <greg...@gentil.com> wrote:

> I volunteer to be a mentor.
>
> Jason, I think that you should create a wiki page to collect students,
> mentors and projects,

I am pretty sure we will need an ideas page as part of the application
process. We should go ahead and create a Soc page and link the ideas
page from there.

Here is an example ideas page:
http://wiki.neurostechnology.com/index.php/Summer_of_Code_2008/Ideas

This is the GSoC page from last year: http://code.google.com/soc/2008/

Philip

bugs

Feb 27, 2009, 9:17:12 AM2/27/09
to Beagle Board
You may also find this link to the Debian GSoC lessons learned helpful
in setting up a project.
Vr, Brian

http://www.milliways.fr/2009/02/08/fosdem09-gsoc08-slides/

On Feb 27, 7:28 am, Philip Balister <philip.balis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> < 1KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

Philip Balister

Feb 27, 2009, 9:53:28 AM2/27/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM, bugs <sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You may also find this link to the Debian GSoC lessons learned helpful
> in setting up a project.
> Vr, Brian
>
> http://www.milliways.fr/2009/02/08/fosdem09-gsoc08-slides/

Thanks, there is some good information there.

I've started a page for BeagleBoard.org SoC activities. For the
application, we will need a good list of ideas.

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard/GSoC

Please help fill this out. I am not the worlds best writer. The better
and more well thought out our idea list is, the more likely we will be
accepted as a mentoring organization. I recommend looking at other
organization's ideas pages from last year.

Philip

Philip

Måns Rullgård

Feb 27, 2009, 10:07:09 AM2/27/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Philip Balister <philip....@gmail.com> writes:

I can't offer to be a mentor, but I will of course help out in
whatever way I can.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com

Søren Steen Christensen

Feb 27, 2009, 10:40:43 AM2/27/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

What does it take to be a mentor? Anyone have any links/comments on this? I
have no problems helping with all kind of HW-related questions/topics, but
don't know how/if this will fit into the bigger picture?

As some of you might already know I'm located in Europe - Is this putting
any restrictions on the mentoring role? Do you need to spend some of your
vacation with the project on camp somewhere (and in case how long)? I'm
pretty new to Google SoC and to be honest I haven't spend the time to read
through the Google pages on the topic - Any pointers to a summary page og
similar would be welcome :-)

Best regards and thanks
Søren

Philip Balister

Feb 27, 2009, 2:15:21 PM2/27/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

There are basically no restrictions on where you are located.

The link I sent earlier (or google "google summer of code") has lots
of detail on the mentor role. There are no travel requirements.

All you need is some good ideas and the patience to deal with really
new people. (Unless we get lucky with applicants)

Philip