mmc0: error -110 whilst initializing SD card

Dave C

Mar 4, 2011, 1:27:01 PM3/4/11
to Beagle Board
Looking through the archives and around the net, it seems that this is
a fairly common problem, but it isn't clear to me if this is an SD
card speed issue, or I've also seen reference to a kernel patch for
it.

Anyway, I was getting this intermittently on reboots, like 1 in 5 or
so. This morning I got 3 in a row and then the board came up. My
shop area is a little chilly, I'm wondering if it might be thermal,
also? Is there something I can/should do about this?

Cole Christensen

Mar 4, 2011, 2:53:11 PM3/4/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Unless "a little chilly" means below freezing, heat is not the problem.

Dave C

Mar 5, 2011, 2:31:33 AM3/5/11
to Beagle Board
Found it: 6 month old kernel bug:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.omap/38260/match=sdhc+affected+preemption

sdhc affected by preemption.
<quote>
When going from PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY to PREEMPT_NONE the problem goes
away.
</quote>

-dave

On Mar 4, 11:53 am, Cole Christensen <cole.christen...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Unless "a little chilly" means below freezing, heat is not the problem.

Dave C

Mar 5, 2011, 1:34:05 AM3/5/11
to Beagle Board
It's acting like a race during init. I just updated the kernel to
maverick v2.6.37.2-x3, and it happens often, and many times in
a row now. It just took me 5 tries to get the board to boot.

What *does* cause this?

wrote:
> Unless "a little chilly" means below freezing, heat is not the problem.

Pete Flugstad

Mar 5, 2011, 11:14:23 AM3/5/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, Dave C
On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 12:34 AM, Dave C <n6...@arrl.net> wrote:
> It's acting like a race during init. I just updated the kernel to
> maverick v2.6.37.2-x3, and it happens often, and many times in
> a row now. It just took me 5 tries to get the board to boot.

Could this be your problem:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&m=129481303019378&w=2

Pete

Robert Nelson

Mar 5, 2011, 11:24:48 AM3/5/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

That patch is already included in that version of the kernel he's using.:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~beagleboard-kernel/+junk/2.6-stable/view/head:/patches/beagle/0001-omap-mmc-Adjust-dto-to-eliminate-timeout-errors.patch

what's really weird, on my 2.6.38-rc image, that error still can
occur, BUT doesn't stop boot as it eventually finds the mmc card
anyways..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Robert Nelson

Mar 5, 2011, 11:42:44 AM3/5/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 1:31 AM, Dave C <n6...@arrl.net> wrote:
> Found it: 6 month old kernel bug:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.omap/38260/match=sdhc+affected+preemption
>
> sdhc affected by preemption.
> <quote>
> When going from PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY to PREEMPT_NONE the problem goes
> away.
> </quote>

this get's more interesting, since they have
"CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=y" set for their 2.6.38-rc natty armel
config...

I have "CONFIG_PREEMPT" enabled in mine..

I'll try it on OFF on a couple mmc cards i have here..