Newbie still at it (DSS question)

Malina, Jim

Aug 27, 2008, 7:59:03 PM8/27/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

All

I’m making progress, slow but steady.

As of today I can build & run kernel 2.6.22.18 (from the beagleboard wiki – no patches).  Once it boots, it the output screen has a penguin in the upper left of a blue screen  (hooray!).  The monitor resolution is 1024 x 768

My goal is to change the resolution to 640 x 480, RGB 888.  Khasim provided the suggestion below and I tried them (and several other slight modifications).  They build but when I run, I am not seeing anything displayed on my monitor (completely black).  I’m wondering if there are some other registers that need changing too (pixel clock?)  Does anything come to mind?

Thanks in advance and regards

Jim

FILE: arch/arm/plat-omap/Display.c

1. omap2_disp_set_panel_size()

//changed the LCD size to 720p

dispc_reg_out(DISPC_SIZE_LCD,0x01DF027F);

2. omap2_disp_config_lcd(u32 clkdiv, u32 hbp, u32 hfp, u32 hsw,
      dispc_reg_out(DISPC_DIVISOR, divisor);
      control = dispc_reg_in(DISPC_CONTROL);
      control |= DISPC_CONTROL_TFTDATALINES_OALSB24B;

FILE: drivers/video/omap/omap_disp_out.c

1)            //changed LCD size #define

#define H4_LCD_XRES             640

#define H4_LCD_YRES             480

Jason Kridner

Aug 27, 2008, 10:49:56 PM8/27/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Malina, Jim <jim-m...@ti.com> wrote:
> All
>

> I'm making progress, slow but steady.
>

> As of today I can build & run kernel 2.6.22.18 (from the beagleboard wiki –
> no patches). Once it boots, it the output screen has a penguin in the upper
> left of a blue screen (hooray!). The monitor resolution is 1024 x 768
>

> My goal is to change the resolution to 640 x 480, RGB 888. Khasim provided
> the suggestion below and I tried them (and several other slight
> modifications). They build but when I run, I am not seeing anything
> displayed on my monitor (completely black). I'm wondering if there are some
> other registers that need changing too (pixel clock?) Does anything come to
> mind?

If you move up to the git tree kernel with the OE patches, you can
check out [1], [2], and [3] to gain the ability to dynamically select
640x480 from the bootargs. [1] is the initial submission of the patch
to the git tree to add DVI-D support for Beagle. [2] adds to [1]
additional resolution options that are configurable by 'make
menuconfig'. I don't believe that [3] cleanly patches [2], but it
adds the ability to fetch the resolution/mode settings from the
bootargs command-line.

[1] http://source.mvista.com/git/?p=linux-omap-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=0e3ef44c3c56ea2b46d59ffcb230f00c49d19916
[2] http://www.sakoman.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-omap-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=2498f7c4179b37d971e283a707211b9874fcce55
[3] http://git.mansr.com/?p=linux-omap;a=commitdiff;h=c76a61167997a1dc680c421b1cdb753dfd492b0a

At least you can get some additional ideas from these patches.

Malina, Jim

Sep 15, 2008, 3:05:37 PM9/15/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
All,

Does anyone know if S-Video and DVI (LCD data) can display simultaneously, with different source?

I want two different video streams running at the same time.

Regards
Jim

Gerald Coley

Sep 15, 2008, 3:40:50 PM9/15/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
The answer is Yes. Now, as to whether or not the kernel can support that, that is another question.

Gerald

Nishanth Menon

Sep 15, 2008, 3:44:53 PM9/15/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Malina, Jim <jim-m...@ti.com> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> Does anyone know if S-Video and DVI (LCD data) can display simultaneously,
>> with different source?
> The answer is Yes. Now, as to whether or not the kernel can support that,
> that is another question.
From OMAP perspective -> I think a pipeline - GFX, Video1 or 2 can
only be output to a single device at a time. Now the trouble is
thinking of this as a complete system. can the same pipeline be send
to two devices? I am not completely sure it can.. I am sure the
graphics experts in the list can comment better than I on the system
wide capability as a whole.

Regards,
Nishanth Menon

Malina, Jim

Sep 15, 2008, 3:51:12 PM9/15/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I want pipeline 1 going to DVI and pipeline 2 going to s-video....

Possible?

Nishanth Menon

Sep 15, 2008, 4:03:32 PM9/15/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
> I want pipeline 1 going to DVI and pipeline 2 going to s-video....
>
> Possible?
I believe yes from OMAP side of things. The question as Gerald points
is: is the kernel capable of doing it?
To my knowledge:
with the TI kernel - yes. with the bare l-o kernel probably nope - i
dont see even a stable s-video support there.. but there is a patch
which basically moves TI kernel support over to l-o kernel and enables
s-video and routing various pipelines to various devices.
Regards,
Nishanth Menon

Ragha

Sep 15, 2008, 6:56:22 PM9/15/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
>> Possible?
> I believe yes from OMAP side of things. The question as Gerald points
> is: is the kernel capable of doing it?
> To my knowledge:
> with the TI kernel - yes. with the bare l-o kernel probably nope - i
> dont see even a stable s-video support there.. but there is a patch
> which basically moves TI kernel support over to l-o kernel and enables
> s-video and routing various pipelines to various devices.

Try the patches from the link below
http://linux.omap.com/pipermail/linux-omap-open-source/2008-June/012744.html

echo 'lcd' > /sys/class/display_control/omap_disp_control/video1
echo 'tv' >/sys/class/display_control/omap_disp_control/video2

-Ragha

Malina, Jim

Sep 16, 2008, 10:57:03 AM9/16/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link. We see the LCD/DVI drivers but not the ones for s-video. Are they somewhere else?

Sep 17, 2008, 6:17:32 AM9/17/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
The validation kernel on code.google does support S-video and DVI together.

the below command will send Video1 pipeline content on to S-video

echo 'tv' > /sys/class/disp_control/omap_disp_out/video1

Regards,
Khasim

rowk...@googlemail.com

Sep 18, 2008, 9:27:18 AM9/18/08
to Beagle Board
Hello Khasim,

On 17 Sep., 12:17, "Syed Mohammed, Khasim " <sm.kha...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> The validation kernel on code.google does support S-video and DVI together.
>
> the below command will send Video1 pipeline content on to S-video
>
> echo 'tv' > /sys/class/disp_control/omap_disp_out/video1
>
> Regards,
> Khasim

I tried that:
[root@OMAP3EVM omap_disp_control]# uname -a
Linux OMAP3EVM 2.6.22.18-omap3 #1 Thu Jul 24 15:29:36 IST 2008 armv7l
unknown

[root@OMAP3EVM omap_disp_control]# echo 'tv' > video1
[root@OMAP3EVM omap_disp_control]# cat video1
tv
But I do not have a signal on s-video. Where could be the problem? I
used the linux and kernel image from http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/BeagleSourceCode

Bye - Robert

Nishanth Menon

Sep 20, 2008, 11:13:51 AM9/20/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
rowk...@googlemail.com said the following on 09/18/2008 08:27 AM:

> I tried that:
> [root@OMAP3EVM omap_disp_control]# uname -a
> Linux OMAP3EVM 2.6.22.18-omap3 #1 Thu Jul 24 15:29:36 IST 2008 armv7l
> unknown
>
> [root@OMAP3EVM omap_disp_control]# echo 'tv' > video1
> [root@OMAP3EVM omap_disp_control]# cat video1
> tv
> But I do not have a signal on s-video. Where could be the problem? I
> used the linux and kernel image from http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/BeagleSourceCode

Try the kernel patch discussed in this email thread.
http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/browse_thread/thread/dc11612c4d6533cf/78cf140584cbe070?lnk=gst&q=s-video#78cf140584cbe070

BTW, I guess this email belong to the set of mails Jason is letting thru
-> please note posting to this mailing list requires subscription to the
group first..
Regards,
Nishanth Menon

rowk...@googlemail.com

Sep 22, 2008, 7:29:16 AM9/22/08
to Beagle Board
On 20 Sep., 17:13, Nishanth Menon <menon.nisha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> rowka...@googlemail.com said the following on 09/18/2008 08:27 AM:> I tried that:
> >  [root@OMAP3EVM omap_disp_control]# uname -a
> >  Linux OMAP3EVM 2.6.22.18-omap3 #1 Thu Jul 24 15:29:36 IST 2008 armv7l
> > unknown
>
> >  [root@OMAP3EVM omap_disp_control]# echo 'tv' > video1
> >  [root@OMAP3EVM omap_disp_control]# cat video1
> >  tv
> > But I do not have a signal on s-video. Where could be the problem? I
> > used the linux and kernel image fromhttp://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/BeagleSourceCode
>
> Try the kernel patch discussed in this email thread.http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/browse_thread/thread/dc116...

It now works with the kernel from http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/BeagleBoardDiagnostics
and Angström:
root@beagleboard:/sys/class/display_control/omap_disp_control# cat
video1
tv

I do have the enlightment desktop on DVI and a video with stream_video
on a s-video.
:-)

> BTW, I guess this email belong to the set of mails Jason is letting thru
> -> please note posting to this mailing list requires subscription to the
> group first..

Now I am subscribed.

Bye - Robert

Doug Emes

Sep 22, 2008, 6:34:11 PM9/22/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 6:29 AM, rowk...@googlemail.com
<rowk...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I do have the enlightment desktop on DVI and a video with stream_video
> on a s-video.
> :-)

I should be getting my beagle in october, and I will definately want
to do something
similar... Mind if I contact you at that time?

Robert Kuhn

Sep 23, 2008, 2:33:05 AM9/23/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
No problem.