Latest Uboot doesn't emit audio tone ?

Mark P

May 5, 2009, 2:21:40 PM5/5/09
to Beagle Board
Hi,

New user here... Just received my Beagle board rev C2 and waiting for
serial cable to be shipped (so can't see terminal output). In the
meantime I plugged in my speakers to see if I would hear a tone when
the board boots. It is not the case. It is not mentioned in the manual
but it is mentioned at a lot of places in the steps for Uboot like
so :

U-Boot 1.3.3 (Jul 10 2008 - 16:30:47)

In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Audio Tone on Speakers ... complete
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0

So, should the sound be emitted or not with the latest shipped version
of Uboot ? I'm starting to get worried...

For your information the LEDs do light up correctly and the power is
coming off the USB OTG.

Thanks !

Jason Kridner

May 5, 2009, 3:51:53 PM5/5/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Mark P <markpo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> New user here... Just received my Beagle board rev C2 and waiting for
> serial cable to be shipped (so can't see terminal output). In the
> meantime I plugged in my speakers to see if I would hear a tone when
> the board boots. It is not the case. It is not mentioned in the manual
> but it is mentioned at a lot of places in the steps for Uboot like
> so :
>
> U-Boot 1.3.3 (Jul 10 2008 - 16:30:47)

> In:    serial
> Out:   serial
> Err:   serial
> Audio Tone on Speakers  ... complete
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
>
> So, should the sound be emitted or not with the latest shipped version
> of Uboot ? I'm starting to get worried...

The Rev C u-boot does *NOT* emit the noise. The noise slowed down the
boot and we needed to use the Linux kernel for other testing anyway,
so we removed the noise. Also, be aware that the Rev C u-boot works
fine on Rev B.

Robert Nelson

May 5, 2009, 4:18:04 PM5/5/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Jason Kridner <jkri...@beagleboard.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Mark P <markpo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> New user here... Just received my Beagle board rev C2 and waiting for
>> serial cable to be shipped (so can't see terminal output). In the
>> meantime I plugged in my speakers to see if I would hear a tone when
>> the board boots. It is not the case. It is not mentioned in the manual
>> but it is mentioned at a lot of places in the steps for Uboot like
>> so :
>>
>> U-Boot 1.3.3 (Jul 10 2008 - 16:30:47)

>> In:    serial
>> Out:   serial
>> Err:   serial
>> Audio Tone on Speakers  ... complete
>> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
>>
>> So, should the sound be emitted or not with the latest shipped version
>> of Uboot ? I'm starting to get worried...
>
> The Rev C u-boot does *NOT* emit the noise.  The noise slowed down the
> boot and we needed to use the Linux kernel for other testing anyway,
> so we removed the noise.  Also, be aware that the Rev C u-boot works
> fine on Rev B.

Careful, while updating/testing all the deb variants for 2.6.29, we
found that Rev B(5&6) Board + Rev C u-boot* + 2.6.29 (Angstrom r30 &
r31 tested) = no usb. Whereas the usb port worked perfect with
2.6.28/27/etc with Rev C u-boot... (it's been a couple weeks since i
last looked at that code, but it has to do with what (uboot/kernel)
code that actually enables the usb port..)

* this one: http://beagleboard.googlecode.com/files/u-boot-f_revc_v3.bin

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Recommended_Beagle_Software

Regards,

--