Beagleboard Adobe Flash 10.1 tutorial

Maxim Podbereznyy

Nov 9, 2010, 7:08:33 AM11/9/10
to beagleboard
Hi folks!

As some of you have questions how to evaluate Adobe Flash 10.1 Plugin for Firefox on Linux I have created this short how-to.

1) You have to register and request for the package at TI site using the following link

2) After you were approved you will be able to download the file
Flash10.1_Firefox_Plugin-0.4-Linux-x86-Install.bin

Please note that this file is intended to be run at PC (x-86 machine)! I have checked this at Ubuntu 9.10

3) Change file permitions to 0777
$> chmod 0777 Flash10.1_Firefox_Plugin-0.4-Linux-x86-Install.bin

4) Run this executable by the command:
$>  sudo LANG=c ./Flash10.1_Firefox_Plugin-0.4-Linux-x86-Install.bin

here you will see a window (GUI interface) to choose a language. English is the best choice because there are no problems with coding page and actually there is nothing to read there :)

5) Use the default directory suggested by the installer (/usr/local/flash10_ffplugin)
next->next->finish.. The installation is done!

6) Take a MMC card for the Beagleboard or other Cortex-A8 based system and mount it at your PC
Here and after I assume to use demo filesystem supplied by Koen Kooi, which you can download from here:

7) Go to firefox directory at MMC card and copy the installed Firefox plugin to the MMC filesystem:
maxx@maxx-desktop:/media/rootfs$ pwd
/media/rootfs
maxx@maxx-desktop:/media/rootfs$ cd ./usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
maxx@maxx-desktop:/media/rootfs/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins$ sudo cp /usr/local/flash10_ffplugin/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.6/plugins/libflashplayer.so .

8) remove or save somewhere current flash lib: libgnashplugin.so

9) Umount the MMC card and boot Beagleboard with it.

10) Run Firefox and type in the address field:
about:plugins

If the plugin is installed correctly you will see amoung others. Now you can visit flash sites like adobe.com

Enjoy! :)

best wishes,
Max

ABHISHEK SINGH

Nov 9, 2010, 8:10:57 AM11/9/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this tutorial. But i have one doubt. Is this flash player plugin is built for ARm platform?? i dont think so because you have installed it one x86 platform. I also have this shared object and when i did this
file `locate libflashplayer.so`
the output was:
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped

It says that it is made for x86 platform. So you need sonmething which is made for arm platform then only i think will work on arm.

Did u try this?? is it working?? If it is working then i'll be wrong somewhere.

believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Robert Nelson

Nov 9, 2010, 8:10:58 AM11/9/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 7:10 AM, ABHISHEK SINGH <sabh...@cdac.in> wrote:
> Thanks for this tutorial. But i have one doubt. Is this flash player plugin
> is built for ARm platform?? i dont think so because you have installed it
> one x86 platform. I also have this shared object and when i did this
> file `locate libflashplayer.so`
> the output was:
> /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object,
> Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped

Wrong directory, look in "/usr/local/flash10_ffplugin" which is
default... or whereever you specified..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Maxim Podbereznyy

Nov 9, 2010, 8:30:39 AM11/9/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
For somebody who doubts :)

maxx@maxx-desktop:/usr/local/flash10_ffplugin/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.6/plugins$ pwd
/usr/local/flash10_ffplugin/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.6/plugins
maxx@maxx-desktop:/usr/local/flash10_ffplugin/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.6/plugins$ file libflashplayer.so
libflashplayer.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped

Of course it works!

ABHISHEK SINGH

Nov 9, 2010, 9:26:42 AM11/9/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

> /usr/local/flash10_ffplugin/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.6/plugins

Sorry, i was looking for the wrong plugin. :(

> maxx@maxx-desktop:/usr/local/flash10_ffplugin/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.6/plugins$ file libflashplayer.so
> libflashplayer.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, ARM, version 1
> (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped

> Of course it works!
>

> --

> +unsub...@googlegroups.com.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard?hl=en.

Maxim Podbereznyy

Nov 10, 2010, 2:43:44 PM11/10/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

I've just tested brand new Beagleboard-xM with Adobe Flash 10.1 player running with Firefox. I can say that simple Flash sites work amazing! Well, with usual libgnash I could only see slide-show instead of smooth playback! If the ethernet at xM could be faster than I believe flash sites could load and play faster.

I also want to test this plugin at beagle C3, but unfortunately lost rs232 cable for it :(.