Kernel configuration with OpenEmbedded

Quist

Oct 12, 2009, 7:29:14 AM10/12/09
to Beagle Board
I am trying to configure a kernel and build it with OpenEmbedded, but
so far I have not succeeded. I have successfully build the console-
image, and then I do:

bitbake virtual/kernel -c clean
bitbake virtual/kernel -c menuconfig
bitbake virtual/kernel -c compile -f
bitbake virtual/kernel -c deploy

-but the configuration I make in menuconfig never gets to the kernel
build by OE.

If I do 'menuconfig' twice, I am able to see the changes made the
first time when i enter menuconfig the second time, so things are
getting saved. But if I do 'menuconfig' after a compile and deploy, I
can no longer see the changes I made. So it seams like my changes are
overwritten.

Can anybody please tell me why I am not able to configure the kernel?
Am I doing it the wrong way?

Thanks,
Quist

omkar Savagaonkar

Oct 12, 2009, 12:10:15 PM10/12/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Try it without deploy ..

Regards,
omkar

Sebastian Kruber

Oct 12, 2009, 12:42:13 PM10/12/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Hello there!

Does anyone know if the OMAP includes a  Time Stamp Counter, like all new x86 processors have, and how it can be accessed?

I am working on some algorithms in C, and a Time Stamp Counter would be a great thing to measure their speed.

Maybe its access is even implemented into the kernel, but I don’t know.

Best regards

Sebastian Kruber

Koen Kooi

Oct 12, 2009, 2:43:10 PM10/12/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
The defconfig is stored in recipes/linux/linux-omap-<version>/<machine>/defconfig

What I usually do is:

1) bitbake virtual/kernel -c configure
2) cd tmp/work/foo/bar/git ; make menuconfig
3) cp .config /OE/openembedded/recipes/linux/linux-omap-<version>/<machine>/defconfig
4) bitbake bitbake virtual/kernel -c compile -f ; bitbake virtual/kernel -c deploy
5) goto 2)

Step 3 is there to ensure that my changes don't get lost when cleaning the recipe.

regards,

Koen

omkar Savagaonkar

Oct 13, 2009, 1:02:30 AM10/13/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I think deploy step deletes everything and keeps image in deploy dir.
So can't we modify bb script to avoid this ??
Correct me if I am getting wrong ..

Regards,
Omkar

Karsten Quist Jensen

Oct 13, 2009, 4:26:59 AM10/13/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, it worked perfectly!

Quist

Dale Weber

Oct 22, 2009, 1:23:15 AM10/22/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday 13 October 2009 01:26:59 am Karsten Quist Jensen wrote:
> Thanks, it worked perfectly!

I also just tested Koen's kernel procedure and it definitely works!

8-Dale
--
I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
Open your mind, Read, Learn, Think, Apply. 73, from N7PKT!