nfs mount via usb0

Guo Tang

Sep 5, 2008, 1:56:02 AM9/5/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Gentlemen,

Anyone has luck to mount nfs from beagleboard? I connected my
host pc with beagle board via usb cable. Both sides show up
as usb0 Ethernet devices. I configured their ip addresses: host -
192.168.1.2, beagle - 192.168.1.1.

I can ping from beagle to host, host to beagle.
I can mount host nfs share from my 3rd computer.

But when I try to mount nfs share from beagle, I got the following error.
Help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Guo

[root@beagleboard /]# mount 192.168.1.2:/home/gtang host
<5>rpcbind: server localhost not responding, timed out
rpcbind: server localhost not responding, timed out
<4>RPC: failed to contact local rpcbind server (errno 5).
RPC: failed to contact local rpcbind server (errno 5).
<5>rpcbind: server localhost not responding, timed out
rpcbind: server localhost not responding, timed out
<4>RPC: failed to contact local rpcbind server (errno 5).
RPC: failed to contact local rpcbind server (errno 5).
<5>rpcbind: server localhost not responding, timed out
rpcbind: server localhost not responding, timed out
<4>RPC: failed to contact local rpcbind server (errno 5).
RPC: failed to contact local rpcbind server (errno 5).
mount: mounting 192.168.1.2:/home/gtang on host failed: Input/output error

Måns Rullgård

Sep 5, 2008, 4:29:56 AM9/5/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Guo Tang <tang...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, Gentlemen,
>
> Anyone has luck to mount nfs from beagleboard? I connected my
> host pc with beagle board via usb cable. Both sides show up
> as usb0 Ethernet devices. I configured their ip addresses: host -
> 192.168.1.2, beagle - 192.168.1.1.
>
> I can ping from beagle to host, host to beagle.
> I can mount host nfs share from my 3rd computer.
>
> But when I try to mount nfs share from beagle, I got the following error.
> Help is appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Guo
>
> [root@beagleboard /]# mount 192.168.1.2:/home/gtang host
> <5>rpcbind: server localhost not responding, timed out
> rpcbind: server localhost not responding, timed out

Did you start the portmap daemon on the beagle?

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com

Guo Tang

Sep 5, 2008, 9:53:02 AM9/5/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

No. I don't. I am using the kernel and rootfs file from

http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/BeagleBoardDiagnostics

I cannot find /usr/sbin/portmap in the mounted rootfs.

Thanks for pointing that out. I will try to find/compile a rootfs with
portmap next.

Thanks again,
Guo

shivdas

Sep 6, 2008, 2:45:44 AM9/6/08
to Beagle Board
Hi Guo,
What is Host operating system?
Is that you connected beagle board to Windows host and tried to ping
from both sides?

I downloaded Rootfs from
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/demo/beagleboard/
and has binary "portmap" in it.

Regards,
Shivdas

Guo Tang

Sep 6, 2008, 12:35:07 PM9/6/08
to shivdas, Beagle Board

Host is Fedora9. I will give angstrom Rootfs a try.

Thanks,
Guo

Guo Tang

Sep 7, 2008, 8:10:30 PM9/7/08
to shivdas, Beagle Board
Hi, Shivdas,

My SD card is only 32MB. This rootfs is too big for me.
I finally fingured out how to make it working with rootfs in google code.
Just run mount with "-o nolock", and it works.

Now I have a nice development environment setup.
1. RS232 console.
2. TCP/IP over USB cable, then nfs mount the host file system.
3. cross compile in host, run directly in beagle via nfs mount.

Thanks,
Guo

shivdas

Sep 9, 2008, 11:50:43 AM9/9/08
to Beagle Board
Hi All,
please, find below procedure to mount root file system with Fedora.

1) Add file ifcfg-usb0 into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

DEVICE=usb0

IPADDR=192.168.1.5
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=USB
BOOTPROTO=none
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes

2) Add following line to /etc/exports
/data/target 192.168.1.1(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,async)

3) Create directory /data/target. and copy your rootfile system to /
data/target

4) Type following commands
#service rpcbind restart
#service nfs restart

5) On BeagleBoard console type following command.
OMAP3 beagleboard.org # setenv bootargs console=ttyS2,115200n8
root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=192.168.1.5:/data/target
ip=192.168.1.1::255.255.255.0 nolock,rsize=1024,wsize=1024 rootdelay=2

6) OMAP3 beagleboard.org # saveenv

7) OMAP3 beagleboard.org # mmcinit

8) OMAP3 beagleboard.org # fatload mmc 0 0x80300000 uImage

9) OMAP3 beagleboard.org # bootm 0x80300000

Hope, this will help to all.

Thanks and Regards,
Shivdas Gujare

guo tang

Sep 9, 2008, 11:57:22 AM9/9/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Nice guide. I will try it out when I back home today.

By the way, do you want to mention in Fedora host, we need to enable NFS in firewall setting?
I think iptables is on by default in Fedora 9.

Thanks,
Guo