OTG Connector Micro-AB versus Mini-AB

Geof

Sep 16, 2008, 8:49:45 AM9/16/08
to Beagle Board
Hi,

For your consideration:

I have noted that the USB group (www.usb.org) deprecated the Mini-AB
connector for OTG use last year, and they are now recommending that
OTG use the Micro-AB connector instead. Perhaps for the Beagleboard
Rev C you should consider using the Micro-AB socket instead of the
Mini-AB.

- http://www.usb.org/developers/Deprecation_Announcement_052507.pdf

As part of their announcement, they are recommending a Micro-A plug to
Std-A receptacle (Adapter) that would provide OTG products with the
same receptacle (Std-A) that is available on PCs. Any peripheral that
can connect to a PC can connect to an OTG product by using this
adapter.

This would be ideal for using the Beagle as an OTG Host.

For the current (rev B) Beagle Board, I have found two sources for the
deprecated Std-A-Female to Mini-A-Male adapters. So there is a
solution for today's Beagle.

- https://serialio.com//store/product_info.php?products_id=456
- http://www.vernier.com/accessories/access.html?usb-mini&template=basic.html

But there appear to be more sources going forward for the Micro-A
version -- including Digikey.

- http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=H11576-ND

Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,
Geof

John Beetem

Sep 16, 2008, 12:44:34 PM9/16/08
to Beagle Board
Personally, I prefer to stick with the Mini-AB. While USB.org has
officially deprecated Mini-AB in favor of Micro-AB, the marketplace
seems to prefer Mini-AB. I'm surrounded by devices with Mini-AB
connectors, but not a single one with Micro. I prefer the robustness
of a larger connector, particularly one that may be plugged and
unplugged many times. For example, I really like the standard USB A
connector: it gives me lots of confidence.

Steve Franks

Sep 16, 2008, 3:23:10 PM9/16/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
> Personally, I prefer to stick with the Mini-AB. While USB.org has
> officially deprecated Mini-AB in favor of Micro-AB, the marketplace
> seems to prefer Mini-AB. I'm surrounded by devices with Mini-AB
> connectors, but not a single one with Micro. I prefer the robustness
> of a larger connector, particularly one that may be plugged and
> unplugged many times. For example, I really like the standard USB A
> connector: it gives me lots of confidence.

Here, here! I don't need yet another board in my crap pile that's
functional except for flaky connectors. If you add battery holders
and cables with internal breaks to that equation, I suspect you could
account for 98% of the non-functional electronics in this world. The
USB IF (or any business for that matter) has very little incentive for
a cable to remain robust longer than 30 days. I wouldn't argue with a
full-size A, honestly, or both. I've not seen much twichyness out of
usb layouts at low/full speed. Of course, when the ehci port gets
fixed, this will probably be a non-issue, as most people will not be
using the OTG anymore (although 2 ports (OTG + EHCI) might be enough
to get away without a hub).

Steve

Ryan Abel

Sep 17, 2008, 4:32:32 AM9/17/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

You all do realize that the MicroUSB connector is rated for several
times more connect/disconnect cycles than the MiniUSB connector, right?

Steve Franks

Sep 17, 2008, 12:28:21 PM9/17/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

I hardly cycle my cables at all. What does happen in the real world
of my desk, however, is flexure, and there, size is everything, I'm
afraid. Especially for my home stuff where the little ones seem to
think if it looks like a rope it should be swung around ;)

Steve