OGRE3D running on beagleboard with powervr drivers

Koen Kooi

Feb 10, 2009, 6:15:37 PM2/10/09
to Beagle Board
PGP.sig

Doug Emes

Feb 10, 2009, 6:22:26 PM2/10/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
2009/2/10 Koen Kooi <ko...@beagleboard.org>:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDtUE5PIhV0

WOW!! prepare to be deluged in email requests on how to get all of
that running =)
(And yes, I am one of those folks, but I'll still send you the direct email )

Doug Emes

Koen Kooi

Feb 10, 2009, 6:35:13 PM2/10/09
to Beagle Board

The actual process is quite simple:

opkg install ogre-egl-samples

But, and here's the snag: you need the .06 version of the SGX SDK from
TI, which isn't 'freely' available yet.

regards,

Koen

PGP.sig

Leandro Gentili

Feb 10, 2009, 6:35:26 PM2/10/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Koen,

Where did you get the RenderSystem for OpenGL ES 2.0?

Leandro

Leandro Gentili

Feb 10, 2009, 10:11:40 PM2/10/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Koen,

Nm, I found it in ogre's svn.

Leandro

Koen Kooi

Feb 11, 2009, 3:15:02 AM2/11/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 11 feb 2009, om 00:35 heeft Leandro Gentili het volgende geschreven:

> Koen,
>
> Where did you get the RenderSystem for OpenGL ES 2.0?

It's still GLES1 and it's in ogre svn. I needed to patch it to make it
work: https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=detail&atid=302997&aid=2580069&group_id=2997

regards,

Koen

PGP.sig

Boireau Laurent

Feb 11, 2009, 4:33:02 AM2/11/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have successfully installed the musb gadget enabled version of Uboot (http://elinux.org/U-boot_musb_gadget_support). With that I can connect to beagle U-boot just over USB (no serial cable : the USB provides power AND serial connection to the Beagle).
However I have not yet succeeded in connecting to Angstrom in the same way (when booting Angstrom, I loose contact ... except on the "old" ttyS2 serial line I want to do away with). Could someone tell me what the proper settings for U-boot and Angstrom (demo version, extra drivers, configuration ?) would be to (minicom/serial) talk to Angstrom over USB (ie just one cable between host and beagle...)...
As a bonus, is there any way I could send the beagle graphic display as well to a laptop PC running (k)ubuntu linux, still over USB, using VNC or whatever, or am I asking too much?

Thanks in advance for any hints ...

      Laurent

Boireau Laurent

Feb 11, 2009, 11:45:30 AM2/11/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Hi, I did a reply to a random beagle mail to get the adress field, and then changed the subject before sending the message below to create a new thread. It was somehow interpreted as a thread subject change, in effect killing the OGRE3D thread. That did not confuse my mailer (which sorts threads by subject) but it did obviously confuse the google group website, as Geof Cohler kindly let me know.

I'll make sure I don't repeat that mistake, and am now trying to fix it by repeating the operation by replying to my own message to change the thread subject back to OGRE 3D. For the USB question, I will try to post it again in a few days, as a new thread. I am really sorry about that mistake, and I was certainly not trying to hijack the OGRE3D discussion (speaking of that demo, it rocks !!). Sorry about the inconvenience, that was definitely not intended.

Laurent

Feb 27, 2009, 11:25:57 AM2/27/09
to Beagle Board
Hi Koen,

I'm interested in getting Ogre up and running on my beagleboard.
Could you explain the steps involed (i.e. which dist are you using
etc....).

Thanks,
Jay

On Feb 10, 5:35 pm, Koen Kooi <k...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> Op 11 feb 2009, om 00:22 heeft Doug Emes het volgende geschreven:
>

> > 2009/2/10 Koen Kooi <k...@beagleboard.org>:
> >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDtUE5PIhV0
>
> > WOW!!  prepare to be deluged in email requests on how to get all of
> > that running =)
> > (And yes, I am one of those folks, but I'll still send you the
> > direct email )
>
> The actual process is quite simple:
>
> opkg install ogre-egl-samples
>
> But, and here's the snag: you need the .06 version of the SGX SDK from
> TI, which isn't 'freely' available yet.
>
> regards,
>
> Koen
>
>  PGP.sig
> < 1KViewDownload

Koen Kooi

Feb 27, 2009, 11:46:51 AM2/27/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 27 feb 2009, om 17:25 heeft JayBird het volgende geschreven:

> Hi Koen,
>
> I'm interested in getting Ogre up and running on my beagleboard.
> Could you explain the steps involed

Download the 06 SDK, build the .ipk using openembedded.

> (i.e. which dist are you using
> etc....).

As the youtube clip says: angstrom.

PGP.sig

Koen Kooi

Feb 27, 2009, 11:47:43 AM2/27/09
to Beagle Board

Op 27 feb 2009, om 17:46 heeft Koen Kooi het volgende geschreven:

> Op 27 feb 2009, om 17:25 heeft JayBird het volgende geschreven:
>

>> Hi Koen,
>>
>> I'm interested in getting Ogre up and running on my beagleboard.
>> Could you explain the steps involed

http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/HowtoUseSGXunderAngstrom

PGP.sig

JayBird

Feb 28, 2009, 10:17:27 AM2/28/09
to Beagle Board
Thanks,

I will attempt to install OE. I had problems a while back when I
tried it. It appears that TI has a new release since you started this
effort. Have you tried their new OMAP35x Graphics SDK yet?
>  PGP.sig
> < 1KViewDownload

Jason Kridner

Feb 28, 2009, 10:26:24 AM2/28/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 28, 2009, at 9:17 AM, JayBird wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> I will attempt to install OE. I had problems a while back when I
> tried it. It appears that TI has a new release since you started this
> effort. Have you tried their new OMAP35x Graphics SDK yet?

You should note that one of the steps in [1] is to install that
updated SDK. :)

[1] http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/HowtoUseSGXunderAngstrom

davidcb

Mar 13, 2009, 11:06:00 AM3/13/09
to Beagle Board
I am going to try to keep this working as Ogre is updated.

I don't have a Beagleboard yet but will be building the package to get
it ready. I'll also be building Ogre outside of OE to test with an
OpenGL ES emulator on Linux.

I am also planning to try to port over some of the optional bits like
CEGUI and OIS.

David.

JayBird

Mar 13, 2009, 12:36:40 PM3/13/09
to Beagle Board
Hi Koen,

I think I'm almost there. I'm still kinda of new to OE. Below are
the steps I've currently been able to do.

1. Create a console-image following the instructions on

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardAndOpenEmbeddedGit

instead of creating an image on the SD card, I extracted the console-
image-beagleboard.tar image onto my local file system and created an
entry in my /etc/exports.

I did run into some problems with trying to get my Kernel to NFS mount
the root filesystem. Apparently, IP-CONFIG tries to bring up the
network before the USB subsystem can detect the USB Ethernet device.
It took me awhile to figure out the problem and how to fix it under
OE. My fix works, but I haven't figure out how to really integrate
that fix into the OE/Bitbake process (save this for another thread).

2. Continued the instructions on

http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/HowtoUseSGXunderAngstrom

I was able to install the OpenGL ES drivers and run the gles1test1 and
some of my own OpenGL ES code:)

3. Install Ogre3D

I did the following:

# opkg install ogre-egl-samples

I think it installed, but I'm not sure how to bring up any of the
examples. Looking at your video, it also appears that you have X11 up
and running too. How do I get to the point of being able to run the
samples in

/usr/share/ogre3d/samples/Common/bin

Thanks again,
Jay
>  PGP.sig
> < 1KViewDownload

Koen Kooi

Mar 20, 2009, 1:38:38 PM3/20/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 13 mrt 2009, om 17:36 heeft JayBird het volgende geschreven:

> # opkg install ogre-egl-samples
>
> I think it installed, but I'm not sure how to bring up any of the
> examples. Looking at your video, it also appears that you have X11 up
> and running too. How do I get to the point of being able to run the
> samples in
>
> /usr/share/ogre3d/samples/Common/bin

You need to remove the sections that the applications complain about
and after that the demos will run.

regards,

Koen

PGP.sig

JayBird

Mar 20, 2009, 3:07:20 PM3/20/09
to Beagle Board
Hi Koen,

I think I'm missing something here. I tried SkeletalAnimation and I
didn't see a think. I also tried a few other examples with the same
result. The text below is the output of SkeletalAnimaiton. Did I
miss a step? Note, I don't have X11 running, as the instructions
didn't mention anything about how to get it up and running. Do I need
X11 for these demos? If so, which bitbake bb or opkg do I need to
install. ogre-egl-samples installed without a hitch. Help.........

Creating resource group General
Creating resource group Internal
Creating resource group Autodetect
SceneManagerFactory for type 'DefaultSceneManager' registered.
Registering ResourceManager for type Material
Registering ResourceManager for type Mesh
Registering ResourceManager for type Skeleton
MovableObjectFactory for type 'ParticleSystem' registered.
OverlayElementFactory for type Panel registered.
OverlayElementFactory for type BorderPanel registered.
OverlayElementFactory for type TextArea registered.
Registering ResourceManager for type Font
ArchiveFactory for archive type FileSystem registered.
ArchiveFactory for archive type Zip registered.
FreeImage version: 3.11.0
This program uses FreeImage, a free, open source image library
supporting all co
mmon bitmap formats. See http://freeimage.sourceforge.net for details
Supported formats:
bmp,ico,jpg,jif,jpeg,jpe,jng,koa,iff,lbm,mng,pbm,pbm,pcd,pcx,
pgm,pgm,png,ppm,ppm,ras,tga,targa,tif,tiff,wap,wbmp,wbm,psd,cut,xbm,xpm,gif,hdr,
g3,sgi,exr,j2k,j2c,jp2
DDS codec registering
Registering ResourceManager for type HighLevelGpuProgram
Registering ResourceManager for type Compositor
MovableObjectFactory for type 'Entity' registered.
MovableObjectFactory for type 'Light' registered.
MovableObjectFactory for type 'BillboardSet' registered.
MovableObjectFactory for type 'ManualObject' registered.
MovableObjectFactory for type 'BillboardChain' registered.
MovableObjectFactory for type 'RibbonTrail' registered.
plugins.cfg not found, automatic plugin loading disabled.
*-*-* OGRE Initialising
*-*-* Version 1.7.1 (Cthugha)
Creating resource group Bootstrap
Added resource location '../../../Media/packs/OgreCore.zip' of type
'Zip' to res
ource group 'Bootstrap'
Added resource location '../../../Media' of type 'FileSystem' to
resource group
'General'
Added resource location '../../../Media/fonts' of type 'FileSystem' to
resource
group 'General'
Added resource location '../../../Media/materials/programs' of type
'FileSystem'
to resource group 'General'
Added resource location '../../../Media/materials/scripts' of type
'FileSystem'
to resource group 'General'
Added resource location '../../../Media/materials/textures' of type
'FileSystem'
to resource group 'General'
Added resource location '../../../Media/models' of type 'FileSystem'
to resource
group 'General'
Added resource location '../../../Media/overlays' of type 'FileSystem'
to resour
ce group 'General'
Added resource location '../../../Media/particle' of type 'FileSystem'
to resour
ce group 'General'
Added resource location '../../../Media/gui' of type 'FileSystem' to
resource gr
oup 'General'
Added resource location '../../../Media/DeferredShadingMedia' of type
'FileSyste
m' to resource group 'General'
Added resource location '../../../Media/PCZAppMedia' of type
'FileSystem' to res
ource group 'General'
Added resource location '../../../Media/packs/cubemap.zip' of type
'Zip' to reso
urce group 'General'
Added resource location '../../../Media/packs/cubemapsJS.zip' of type
'Zip' to r
esource group 'General'
Added resource location '../../../Media/packs/dragon.zip' of type
'Zip' to resou
rce group 'General'
Added resource location '../../../Media/packs/fresneldemo.zip' of type
'Zip' to
resource group 'General'
Added resource location '../../../Media/packs/ogretestmap.zip' of type
'Zip' to
resource group 'General'
Added resource location '../../../Media/packs/skybox.zip' of type
'Zip' to resou
rce group 'General'
*-*-* OGRE Shutdown
Unregistering ResourceManager for type Compositor
Unregistering ResourceManager for type Font
Unregistering ResourceManager for type Skeleton
Unregistering ResourceManager for type Mesh
Unregistering ResourceManager for type HighLevelGpuProgram
Unregistering ResourceManager for type Material
>  PGP.sig
> < 1KViewDownload

jsea...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2009, 1:57:02 PM3/30/09
to Beagle Board
I'm having similar problems. I noticed if you run any of the demos
under X a dialog box pops up from Ogre3D titled 'OGRE Engine Setup'.
There are no visible options in the Renderer options: section of the
dialog. All you can do is hit OK or Cancel. Selecting OK yields an
exception in the console:

'OGRE EXCEPTION(1:InvalidStateException): Cannot initialize - no
render system has been selected'

I suspect running the demos outside of X fail to run because of this
missing configuration. Perhaps there is a hardcoded version of this
config that needs to be created?
> mmon bitmap formats. Seehttp://freeimage.sourceforge.netfor details

David Batzle

Mar 31, 2009, 4:39:15 AM3/31/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

All the example applications in Ogre use the pop up setup window. The demos
could probably be re-written to use a config file instead. I have written
a simple app that ran without the config pop up.

But there is another problem. The GL ES render system depends on X and
uses some X calls. So even without that pop up it will still not run
without X. Modifying the render system to run without X is something I plan
to take a look at later.

David.

May 19, 2009, 12:05:14 PM5/19/09
to Beagle Board
What should a config file look like to work on the beagleboard?
> > --- On Mon, 3/30/09, jseabl...@gmail.com
> > <jseabl...@gmail.com>

David Batzle

May 19, 2009, 5:11:22 PM5/19/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

--- On Tue, 5/19/09, eelcor <eelco...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm not sure yet. This is the config file generated when running on my
desktop with the GL ES emulator.

Render System=OpenGLES Rendering Subsystem

[OpenGLES Rendering Subsystem]
Display Frequency=72 MHz
FSAA=0
Full Screen=No
RTT Preferred Mode=Copy
Video Mode= 800 x 600

The biggest difference should be the mode and frequency settings.
This file is called ogre.cfg.

David.