sound problem: beeps, cracks (Beagleboard C4, Debian)

abw

Apr 2, 2011, 4:20:27 PM4/2/11
to Beagle Board
Hi everyone!

I am trying to fix some sound issues but I am not sure where to poke
at. I'm using a Beagleboard C4 running Debian Squeeze, Kernel 2.6.29,
Alsa 1.0.18a

this is the original sound file:
http://www.arminbwagner.com/misc/erde.mp3
and this is a recording of the BB output:
http://www.arminbwagner.com/misc/bb_test_erde.mp3

I played the file 3 times using mpg321. There's a loud beep at the
beginning. It's played correctly afterwards but a loud crack follows.
Then there's the beep sound again. Sometimes the beginning of the
soundfile is cut off too.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

abw

Apr 3, 2011, 11:54:27 AM4/3/11
to Beagle Board

Robert Nelson

Apr 3, 2011, 12:21:00 PM4/3/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

So, 2.6.29 was released over two years ago. (23 March, 2009)..

Care to retest with 2.6.38?

wget http://rcn-ee.net/deb/squeeze/v2.6.38.2-x1/install-me.sh
/bin/bash install-me.sh

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

abw

Apr 4, 2011, 11:20:09 AM4/4/11
to Beagle Board
Thanks, that helped indeed. There is still some kind of "on/off"
sound, but it's *much* better than before.

regards,
Armin