Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2010 is On......

Jason Kridner

Feb 3, 2010, 10:04:17 PM2/3/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Anyone interested in trying to coordinate BeagleBoard.org entries in
the Google Summer of Code 2010?

According to the message forwarded below [11], the application period
starts March 8th. We have our collection of ideas from last year [4]
and several sponsored projects [5]. I'm sure TI would cough up boards
for any successful entries. Philip (Crofton on IRC) completed the
application [6] and gathered feedback from the Google team last year
[9]:

lh -> Crofton|work: ideas list needs beefing up, not much description
for a bunch of these, needs links to further documentation
Crofton|work -> lh: anything else?
lh -> Crofton|work: seemed a bit niche to us as well, but that
shouldn't stop you from reapplying.
Crofton|work -> lh: I was worried we were a bit broad :)
Crofton|work -> lh: thanks
jkridner|work -> lh: is project visibility, concept, participation
good if ideas list was more fleshed out?
lh -> jkridner|work: that's tougher. we don't have unlimited funds, so
it's hard to say. we have accepted niche projects before for various
reasons, i can't say for sure right now, brain is kinda toast. can we
take up later this week please?
jkridner|work -> lh: thats fine. thanks for this feedback and we'll
look for more when you are fresher. :)
lh-> jkridner|work: awesome, thank you.

An example of the git GSoC entries [10] was given as a model to
follow. I'm not aware of any additional follow-up done with the
Google team, but I think we have a direction to go for this year's
application. I'm also pretty sure I can dig up some TI sponsors for
support.

Any takers? Philip?

[4] http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard/Ideas-2009
[5] http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard/contest
[6] http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard/GSoC/Application
[7] http://rkirti.wordpress.com/2009/08/16/gsoc-2009-winding-up/
[8] http://www.valeriovalerio.org/?p=257
[9] http://ibot.rikers.org/%23gsoc/20090318.html.gz
[10] http://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SoC2009Ideas
[11] http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/d839c0b02ac15b3f

Feb 3, 2010, 10:18:28 PM2/3/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Jason Kridner <jkri...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> Anyone interested in trying to coordinate BeagleBoard.org entries in
> the Google Summer of Code 2010?

I'm going to be swamped between now and then.

The keys for this are focus on code and I would also highlight
successful community mentoring efforts to date. I know that some
community members have helped produce good results with students. The
GSoC will receive far more applications than they can accept. I
believe the keys to getting into the program will be an excellent idea
list and showing the community is in place to provide support.

Philip